HOW TO Track How Many Recipients Open Your Mail IN RAILS

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tony Augustine, Apr 22, 2010.

  1. HOW TO Track How Many Recipients Open Your Mail IN RAILS?

    please help me PROVIDE SOLUTIONS AND STEPS OR ELSE ANY PLUGIN
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Tony Augustine, Apr 22, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tony Augustine

    Walton Hoops Guest

    On 4/21/2010 10:54 PM, Tony Augustine wrote:
    > HOW TO Track How Many Recipients Open Your Mail IN RAILS?
    >
    > please help me PROVIDE SOLUTIONS AND STEPS OR ELSE ANY PLUGIN
    >

    Can't be done. There is no way to know for sure who has/hasn't read an
    e-mail.
    Here are some ways you can attempt it, but none of them work 100% (or
    even 50%)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_tracking
    Walton Hoops, Apr 22, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Re: HOW TO Track How Many Recipients Open Your Mail IN RAILS

    [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Email tracking can be done with a fair amount of accuracy but it is a pain
    to implement. The basic theory is that you can embed a 1px by 1px image in
    your emails that must be downloaded from your server. When the user loads
    the email, as long as they allow it to request images from external servers,
    the image will be linked with a unique query string that when the image is
    requested, is passed via the url to your rails controller. This unique
    identifier can be matched via your models to the specific user that has that
    token associated with their account. Once checking with the model, checking
    out what email user made the request, the controller then rather than
    rendering html or partial actually returns an image back to the user request
    and as far as they know, most users wont be able to tell the difference.

    this is not 100% accurate though and will take time to implement. There
    arent any plugins or gems that I know of being available that handle this.
    Maybe I'm wrong and someone else will know though

    --Kevin

    This is really the most accurate way but takes alot of jumping through hoops
    to get it to work.

    On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Walton Hoops <>wrote:

    > On 4/21/2010 10:54 PM, Tony Augustine wrote:
    > > HOW TO Track How Many Recipients Open Your Mail IN RAILS?
    > >
    > > please help me PROVIDE SOLUTIONS AND STEPS OR ELSE ANY PLUGIN
    > >

    > Can't be done. There is no way to know for sure who has/hasn't read an
    > e-mail.
    > Here are some ways you can attempt it, but none of them work 100% (or
    > even 50%)
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_tracking
    >
    >



    --
    Kevin Hopkins, MCP MCTS
    (c) 540.331.1772
    (e)
    (w) www.wearefound.com
    Kevin Hopkins, Apr 22, 2010
    #3
  4. Tony Augustine

    Walton Hoops Guest

    Re: HOW TO Track How Many Recipients Open Your Mail IN RAILS

    On 4/22/2010 8:38 AM, Kevin Hopkins wrote:
    > Email tracking can be done with a fair amount of accuracy but it is a pain
    > to implement. The basic theory is that you can embed a 1px by 1px image in
    > your emails that must be downloaded from your server. When the user loads
    > the email, as long as they allow it to request images from external servers,
    > the image will be linked with a unique query string that when the image is
    > requested, is passed via the url to your rails controller. This unique
    > identifier can be matched via your models to the specific user that has that
    > token associated with their account. Once checking with the model, checking
    > out what email user made the request, the controller then rather than
    > rendering html or partial actually returns an image back to the user request
    > and as far as they know, most users wont be able to tell the difference.
    >
    > this is not 100% accurate though and will take time to implement. There
    > arent any plugins or gems that I know of being available that handle this.
    > Maybe I'm wrong and someone else will know though
    >
    > --Kevin
    >
    > This is really the most accurate way but takes alot of jumping through hoops
    > to get it to work.
    >

    It also doesn't work if the users client blocks remote content (most do).
    Walton Hoops, Apr 22, 2010
    #4
  5. Re: HOW TO Track How Many Recipients Open Your Mail IN RAILS

    On Apr 23, 2:01 am, Walton Hoops <> wrote:
    > On 4/22/2010 8:38 AM, Kevin Hopkins wrote:
    >
    > > Email tracking can be done with a fair amount of accuracy but it is a pain
    > > to implement.  The basic theory is that you can embed a 1px by 1px image in
    > > your emails that must be downloaded from your server.  When the user loads
    > > the email, as long as they allow it to request images from external servers,
    > > the image will be linked with a unique query string that when the imageis
    > > requested, is passed via the url to your rails controller.  This unique
    > > identifier can be matched via your models to the specific user that hasthat
    > > token associated with their account.  Once checking with the model, checking
    > > out what email user made the request, the controller then rather than
    > > rendering html or partial actually returns an image back to the user request
    > > and as far as they know, most users wont be able to tell the difference..

    >
    > > this is not 100% accurate though and will take time to implement.  There
    > > arent any plugins or gems that I know of being available that handle this.
    > > Maybe I'm wrong and someone else will know though

    >
    > > --Kevin

    >
    > > This is really the most accurate way but takes alot of jumping through hoops
    > > to get it to work.

    >
    > It also doesn't work if the users client blocks remote content (most do).


    hallo sir can help me in how to track the forwaard mails and
    whether its opened by user
    Mathew Augustine, Apr 24, 2010
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,632
  2. Tim Williams

    Sendmail with many attach and recipients

    Tim Williams, Feb 3, 2005, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    388
    Tim Williams
    Feb 3, 2005
  3. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    353
    Steve Holden
    Oct 17, 2008
  4. Bobby Edward

    Max recipients of mail message?

    Bobby Edward, Jan 4, 2009, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    762
    Bobby Edward
    Jan 4, 2009
  5. Graham Arrowsmith

    rails: many to many agony

    Graham Arrowsmith, Feb 17, 2005, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    106
    Luca Pireddu
    Feb 18, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page