  1. tamsun

    tamsun Guest

    Is there a opensource project can transform html file to image?
    tamsun, Aug 10, 2006

  2. tamsun

    Tom Cole Guest

    How advanced are these HTML files? If the JEditorPane will render them
    good enough you could use the contentPane form it and render an image.

    Tom Cole, Aug 10, 2006

  3. tamsun wrote:
    > Is there a opensource project can transform html file to image?

    General Question (for anyone that has ever attempted this)

    Why on earth would you want to convert *textual* information
    1) that can be programatically
    - searched
    - indexed
    - spell checked
    2) that provides the user with
    - text that is resizeable & restylable to their needs
    - a reshapable view port (suitable to current screen size
    or browser window size)
    - a textual form of the document that can 'adapt itself'
    suitable for either screen or print.
    ... to a high bandwidth *image* that provides *none* of those
    advantages?

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 11, 2006
  4. tamsun

    tamsun Guest

    On 10 Aug 2006 09:24:50 -0700, "Tom Cole" <> wrote:

    the HTML file is simple, just some static text and tables.

    In fact, I have a word file as template in workflow,
    e.g. flow A --> flow B --> flow C

    At every flow point, I will add something into word file.
    I want client can only view this file but cann't change it.
    So in server I want transform editable file(such as word)
    to image.

    tamsun, Aug 11, 2006
  5. tamsun wrote:
    > At every flow point, I will add something into word file.
    > I want client can only view this file but cann't change it.
    > So in server I want transform editable file(such as word)
    > to image.

    Images are editable. Please refrain from top-posting.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 11, 2006
  6. "tamsun" <> wrote in message
    > On 10 Aug 2006 09:24:50 -0700, "Tom Cole" <> wrote:
    >
    > the HTML file is simple, just some static text and tables.
    >
    > In fact, I have a word file as template in workflow,
    > e.g. flow A --> flow B --> flow C
    >
    > At every flow point, I will add something into word file.
    > I want client can only view this file but cann't change it.
    > So in server I want transform editable file(such as word)
    > to image.

    It has been done - it's called a PDF file

    --
    LTP

    :)
    Luc The Perverse, Aug 11, 2006
  7. Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > "tamsun" <> wrote in message

    > > I want client can only view this file but cann't change it.

    > It has been done - it's called a PDF file

    Good point. But..

    tamsun, *why* do you want the user to *not* be able
    to edit these documents?

    The answer might be..
    a) To protect the end-user from having inaccurate
    information after the 'instructions file' has accidentally
    been edited by a co-worker.
    b) To protect the document issuer from having *deliberately*
    edited (and false) documents in circulation.

    Juc's suggestion of PDF is good* if the answer is 'a',
    but even 'uneditable' PDF's can be copied directly out
    of Acrobat viewer onto the clipboard, so it will not
    be suited to the second part - 'b'.

    Of course, there is *nothing* that provides complete
    protection for the document issuer. Once the information
    has left your immediate control, once that information
    is on the user's screen - they are technically able to do
    whatever they want with it.

    * As an aside - I hate PDF's, but at least they provide
    a more useable form of information than images.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 12, 2006
  8. tamsun

    bowman Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > Juc's suggestion of PDF is good* if the answer is 'a',
    > but even 'uneditable' PDF's can be copied directly out
    > of Acrobat viewer onto the clipboard, so it will not
    > be suited to the second part - 'b'.

    I've never been successful in copying password protected PDF's to the
    clipboard. As an aside, I find this technique even more annoying than
    providing API documentation in PDF format in the first place.

    bowman, Aug 12, 2006
  9. bowman wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >
    > > Juc's suggestion of PDF is good* if the answer is 'a',
    > > but even 'uneditable' PDF's can be copied directly out
    > > of Acrobat viewer onto the clipboard, so it will not
    > > be suited to the second part - 'b'.

    > I've never been successful in copying password protected PDF's to the
    > clipboard.

    Oh - I did not check any 'password protected' documents,
    simply one that was uneditable.

    OTOH, I did go on a search for 'applications that are not
    Acrobat viewer' that might ..
    a) load a PDF
    b) ignore the 'suggestions' re not copying, or
    allow conversion to a much more generic format
    such as HTML..
    ...there were quite a few hits, for example, for..
    <http://www.google.com.au/search?q=disable+%22password+protected%22+pdf>

    >..As an aside, I find this technique

    'this technique'? What are you referring to, exactly?

    >...even more annoying than
    > providing API documentation

    When was API docs. mentioned (before now)?

    >..in PDF format in the first place.

    (..but since you brought it up..)
    Why would you prefer API documentation in PDF format?
    The *only* advantage I've ever seen to PDF is that it
    'prints better'.

    HTML prints *almost* as well, and provides much better utility
    on-screen (where it should be left - to help the eco-system).

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 12, 2006
  10. tamsun

    tamsun Guest

    yes, images are editable. we can use photoshop.
    pdf is also editable, we can use acrobat professional
    or other pdf editor. and pdf can be changed more difficult
    than doc or image. Of course, client can use camera to
    get the computer screen.

    I just have one object:
    1. I can change origin file(e.g. word file) easily.
    2. client can view and print my file, but can't
    change my file easily.

    Does any blue print can do this?

    tamsun, Aug 12, 2006
  11. tamsun wrote: