how to transform html file to image?

Tom Cole

How advanced are these HTML files? If the JEditorPane will render them
good enough you could use the contentPane form it and render an image.

Andrew Thompson

tamsun said:
Is there a opensource project can transform html file to image?

General Question (for anyone that has ever attempted this)

Why on earth would you want to convert *textual* information
1) that can be programatically
- searched
- indexed
- spell checked
2) that provides the user with
- text that is resizeable & restylable to their needs
- a reshapable view port (suitable to current screen size
or browser window size)
- a textual form of the document that can 'adapt itself'
suitable for either screen or print.
... to a high bandwidth *image* that provides *none* of those
advantages?

Andrew T.

tamsun

the HTML file is simple, just some static text and tables.

In fact, I have a word file as template in workflow,
e.g. flow A --> flow B --> flow C

At every flow point, I will add something into word file.
I want client can only view this file but cann't change it.
So in server I want transform editable file(such as word)
to image.

Andrew Thompson

tamsun wrote:
At every flow point, I will add something into word file.
I want client can only view this file but cann't change it.
So in server I want transform editable file(such as word)
to image.

Images are editable. Please refrain from top-posting.

Andrew T.

Luc The Perverse

tamsun said:
the HTML file is simple, just some static text and tables.

In fact, I have a word file as template in workflow,
e.g. flow A --> flow B --> flow C

At every flow point, I will add something into word file.
I want client can only view this file but cann't change it.
So in server I want transform editable file(such as word)
to image.

It has been done - it's called a PDF file

Andrew Thompson

Luc said:
It has been done - it's called a PDF file

Good point. But..

tamsun, *why* do you want the user to *not* be able
to edit these documents?

The answer might be..
a) To protect the end-user from having inaccurate
information after the 'instructions file' has accidentally
been edited by a co-worker.
b) To protect the document issuer from having *deliberately*
edited (and false) documents in circulation.

Juc's suggestion of PDF is good* if the answer is 'a',
but even 'uneditable' PDF's can be copied directly out
of Acrobat viewer onto the clipboard, so it will not
be suited to the second part - 'b'.

Of course, there is *nothing* that provides complete
protection for the document issuer. Once the information
has left your immediate control, once that information
is on the user's screen - they are technically able to do
whatever they want with it.

* As an aside - I hate PDF's, but at least they provide
a more useable form of information than images.

Andrew T.

bowman

Andrew said:
Juc's suggestion of PDF is good* if the answer is 'a',
but even 'uneditable' PDF's can be copied directly out
of Acrobat viewer onto the clipboard, so it will not
be suited to the second part - 'b'.

I've never been successful in copying password protected PDF's to the
clipboard. As an aside, I find this technique even more annoying than
providing API documentation in PDF format in the first place.

Andrew Thompson

bowman said:
I've never been successful in copying password protected PDF's to the
clipboard.

Oh - I did not check any 'password protected' documents,
simply one that was uneditable.

OTOH, I did go on a search for 'applications that are not
Acrobat viewer' that might ..
a) load a PDF
b) ignore the 'suggestions' re not copying, or
allow conversion to a much more generic format
such as HTML..
...there were quite a few hits, for example, for..
..As an aside, I find this technique

'this technique'? What are you referring to, exactly?
...even more annoying than
providing API documentation

When was API docs. mentioned (before now)?
..in PDF format in the first place.

(..but since you brought it up..)
Why would you prefer API documentation in PDF format?
The *only* advantage I've ever seen to PDF is that it
'prints better'.

HTML prints *almost* as well, and provides much better utility
on-screen (where it should be left - to help the eco-system).

Andrew T.

tamsun

yes, images are editable. we can use photoshop.
pdf is also editable, we can use acrobat professional
or other pdf editor. and pdf can be changed more difficult
than doc or image. Of course, client can use camera to
get the computer screen.

I just have one object:
1. I can change origin file(e.g. word file) easily.
2. client can view and print my file, but can't
change my file easily.

Does any blue print can do this?