How to translate UML Class Diagram into Database Design ?

xtanto

Hi,

I am using UML Class Diagram to do data modeling.
The question is then how should I translate it into Oracle database
design ?
In the Class diagram there are operation/method, where should I
implement it ? on database or aplication layer ?
Is there any tool or method for this ?

Thank you for your help,
Krist

ian ward

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
Hi,

I am using UML Class Diagram to do data modeling.
The question is then how should I translate it into Oracle database
design ?
In the Class diagram there are operation/method, where should I
implement it ? on database or aplication layer ?
Is there any tool or method for this ?

Thank you for your help,
Krist

I suggest you take this question to the comp.object newsgroup. But be
warned, you will probably get more questions than answers!
It is true that your quesion is a bit vague. You have to consider the
functionality you are modeling as the priority - which I would think
won't be the same for your active class model and for your persistance
model. For example, you will probably have a customer with many
invoices on your database but you are also quite likely to have a
scenario where you are dealing with a single invoice for a customer.
Generally speaking, you can think of your persistance model as a subset
of your class model - well, the 'syntax' of the two languages (UML
being one of them, Merise could be the other I suppose) is not
necessarily the same but there is a kind of overlap, or rather,
equivalence of certain concepts.
All that said, I believe there is a book with a name something like
'UML to SQL' which could interest you; and it is true that Rational
Rose has an Oracle item in the Tools menu but, having just had a quick
look, I don't see how it works, I think I am missing addins....
As I said, you should get a response at comp.object.

Ian