How to transmit a fax of an ASP web page, from that page?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Caryn Graves, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. Caryn Graves

    Caryn Graves Guest

    Hello. So I've got this web page written in ASP, which has some text and
    graphics, and I need to add a feature to the page whereby a user could select
    from among a list of fax numbers, and send a fax of the page to the chosen
    number (and what would then get faxed, would be the page as if it were
    printed out, i.e. including all the text and graphics.)

    I have seen pages from other sites that had buttons for sending a fax, so I
    am inclined to believe that something (at least vaguely) along these lines
    ought to be possible (however, every time I have seen such a page, it would
    also seem as though the code for transmitting the fax was in something other
    than straight HTML, because it was not evident when I viewed the source code
    of the page in my browser.)

    There is a fundamental question that is nagging me about this, and that is
    how a page from a website can communicate with a fax machine. Web pages can
    send e-mails, because they're both on the Internet, and web pages can get
    printed out- if a printer is hooked up to your computer. But fax machines
    are on the telephone lines, not the Internet lines, no? Like, I also don't
    think a web page can be programmed to ring someone's phone (or turn on your
    vacuum cleaner.) So, I'm wondering if having this faxing capability would
    also require a fax machine to be physically connected to the server on which
    the site is hosted???

    Well, I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm floundering here, so please, any
    help with this that anyone could provide, would be most appreciated.
    Thanks!! :)

    Caryn Graves, Sep 13, 2006

  2. Caryn Graves

    Mike Brind Guest

    Caryn Graves wrote:
    > Hello. So I've got this web page written in ASP, which has some text and
    > graphics, and I need to add a feature to the page whereby a user could select
    > from among a list of fax numbers, and send a fax of the page to the chosen
    > number (and what would then get faxed, would be the page as if it were
    > printed out, i.e. including all the text and graphics.)
    >
    > I have seen pages from other sites that had buttons for sending a fax, so I
    > am inclined to believe that something (at least vaguely) along these lines
    > ought to be possible (however, every time I have seen such a page, it would
    > also seem as though the code for transmitting the fax was in something other
    > than straight HTML, because it was not evident when I viewed the source code
    > of the page in my browser.)
    >
    > There is a fundamental question that is nagging me about this, and that is
    > how a page from a website can communicate with a fax machine. Web pages can
    > send e-mails, because they're both on the Internet, and web pages can get
    > printed out- if a printer is hooked up to your computer. But fax machines
    > are on the telephone lines, not the Internet lines, no? Like, I also don't
    > think a web page can be programmed to ring someone's phone (or turn on your
    > vacuum cleaner.) So, I'm wondering if having this faxing capability would
    > also require a fax machine to be physically connected to the server on which
    > the site is hosted???
    >
    > Well, I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm floundering here, so please, any
    > help with this that anyone could provide, would be most appreciated.
    > Thanks!! :)

    You would need a component on the web server that generates and
    transmits faxes. Code in the ASP page would call this component which
    would then do its thing and send the fax. Something like this:
    http://www.interfax.net/en/dev/asp.html

    The same broad principal is true for emails. Code calls a component
    which generates the email message and sends it through a mail server
    connected to, or installed on the web server.

    Printing a page is a totally different concept, and relies on the user
    making a proactive decision to print the page. You can't do any
    programming for this.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Caryn Graves

    Caryn Graves Guest

    Thank you so much for replying to my question, Mike. I've decided to give
    this InterFAX product a try, and hopefully it will do the trick. Thanks again,

    -Caryn

    Caryn Graves, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Caryn Graves

    Mike Brind Guest

    Please note, I wasn't necessarily recommending that product. It was
    just the first one that came up in a search that I could show as an
    example. I know nothing about its efficacy.

    Best of luck with whatever you choose.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Sep 13, 2006