how to trigger Back event

Beffmans

Hi

I want to hook the "back" event or "forward" event from a browser page.
How can I trigger these events to my asp.net page?

ch Beffmans

Beffmans

no I want to "capture" this event in my asp.net page...
So the user clicks on the back /forward button in his browser and that
triggers an event in an asp.net page??

ch Beffmans

Terry Olsen

I haven't been able to do this either. I would like to prevent users
hitting the back button and messing up my database. I wonder if there would
be a way for a Session variable to be used...Say you have a page structure
like this:

Logon Page (assign a random session value).
Data Entry Page (verifies session value on entry, sets session value to null
when posting data)
Exit Page (tells user they are done).

Now if the user clicks the Back button, would the Data Entry page again
verify the session value and send the user back to the Logon Page? Or would
the session value be restored by the "back" navigation?

Beffmans

well if you exit the page you abandon the session...

my problem is I work with an asp:panel and if the user goes back or
forward with the browserbuttons it will stuff up the working of my
panels...

ch Beffmans

Guest

You can't program for the browser back and forward events reliably! You can
delete the history though so that they can't use them.
--
Direct Email: Michael.Baltic@RemoveCharactersUpTo#NCMC.Com

Staff Consultant II
Enterprise Web Services
Cardinal Solutions Group

Guest

Yes, assign the user a key/token when they login (you could save it to
session/cache). When they logout, delete the key/token. Also, make the
token timeout as well.