How to troubleshoot whether Java is running out on some resource

Discussion in 'Java' started by zigzagdna, May 31, 2010.

  1. zigzagdna

    zigzagdna Guest

    I am using JDK 1.6 on HP UNIX 11i. I developed a program which uses
    lot of JDBC calls to an Oracle database. My program processes some
    records from a file write information to Oracle. But after sometime it
    gives some Java SQL Exception: Numeric Overflow. However, there is no
    Oracle error given.

    When I delete the rows from the file which were successful in 1st run;
    then run the program again; it does not give any error for the rows it
    was erroring earlier. Then after processing some rows it gives same
    Numerical Exception error.
    I was pretty sure that Numerical Overflow Exception is misleading;
    something else is going on.

    I ran the program on another machine with same Java version, same
    memory parameters in java command line and my program works fine,

    I looked in /var/admin/syslog.. on first machine; could not find
    anything. Clearly, java is running out of some resource on 1st
    machine; how can I troubleshoot this problem.

    THANKS A LOT.
    zigzagdna, May 31, 2010

  2. zigzagdna

    Tom Anderson Guest

    Re: How to troubleshoot whether Java is running out on someresource

    On Sun, 30 May 2010, zigzagdna wrote:

    > I am using JDK 1.6 on HP UNIX 11i. I developed a program which uses lot
    > of JDBC calls to an Oracle database. My program processes some records
    > from a file write information to Oracle. But after sometime it gives
    > some Java SQL Exception: Numeric Overflow. However, there is no Oracle
    > error given.
    >
    > When I delete the rows from the file which were successful in 1st run;
    > then run the program again; it does not give any error for the rows it
    > was erroring earlier. Then after processing some rows it gives same
    > Numerical Exception error. I was pretty sure that Numerical Overflow
    > Exception is misleading; something else is going on.
    >
    > I ran the program on another machine with same Java version, same
    > memory parameters in java command line and my program works fine,
    >
    > I looked in /var/admin/syslog.. on first machine; could not find
    > anything. Clearly, java is running out of some resource on 1st machine;
    > how can I troubleshoot this problem.

    Check the Oracle logs - is Oracle running on the same machine as the java
    app?

    Check that the two machines have the same version of the Oracle driver,
    and are using the same JDBC URL. This smells like a driver bug to me.

    tom

    --
    Is this chill-out music for dangerous loners?
    Tom Anderson, May 31, 2010