How to truncate retrieved records and provide link for full record

pauld

Hello-
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before since it is a common
technique, but I can't seem to get the search terms needed to get me
an answer, so I thought I would post here.

I have a page that displays news and events when the page loads,
Sometimes the descriptions of these items are long enough that I would
like to have the description go on for, say, twenty-five words and
then have a "More" link where the complete item data can be displayed
on a new page.

Spinning off a new page from a a master is not a problem; what I am
trying to figure out is how to automatically due the truncating of the
description. Any help or direct link would be much appreciated. I am
working in VS2008/asp.net 2.0.

Thanks,
Paul

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello pauld,

You can use the CSS to limit the text lenght with text-overflow: ellipse;,
but if you need to limit nubmer of rows just set the fixed number or rows
and then add "more.." manually

---
WBR,

p> Hello-
p> I'm sure this has been asked and answered before since it is a common
p> technique, but I can't seem to get the search terms needed to get me
p> an answer, so I thought I would post here.
p> I have a page that displays news and events when the page loads,
p> Sometimes the descriptions of these items are long enough that I
p> would like to have the description go on for, say, twenty-five words
p> and then have a "More" link where the complete item data can be
p> displayed on a new page.
p>
p> Spinning off a new page from a a master is not a problem; what I am
p> trying to figure out is how to automatically due the truncating of
p> the description. Any help or direct link would be much appreciated. I
p> am working in VS2008/asp.net 2.0.
p>
p> Thanks,
p> Pau

pauld

Hello pauld,

You can use the CSS to limit the text lenght with text-overflow: ellipse;,
but if you need to limit nubmer of rows just set the fixed number or rows
and then add "more.." manually

Michael,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I wonder if you could
elaborate on either of these methods...
If I am understanding text.overflow, it likely would not be
appropriate since it is based upon widths.

The row count is probably a more likely candidate, but the "add
manually" part is not ideal. I wonder if you could tell me how, for
example, Google groups is doing their truncation when you look at the
message list for any given group? This is exactly what I want to do. I
imagine it is either via word count or rows, with a [pseudocode]: if
rowcount>x, then add a link called "More" with a URL to a page that
is all of the text associated.

As I said, getting the page for a given item is not a problem; it is
the truncation code that will create the "More" link when the row
count exceeds x.

Thanks again and sorry if I am being dense,
Paul

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP] :: blog:http://spaces.live.com/laflour

[...]