How to turn off Standard Output

mpmel

I am in a class at school and we are in the process of implementing an
operating system using 'Nachos'. For my Login Screen, I am trying to
make it so that when someone is logging in, their password does not
display on the screen. I guess the question i am asking is how can i
temporarily stop keystrokes from going to the console. Is this
possible??

Simon Biber

I am in a class at school and we are in the process of implementing an
operating system using 'Nachos'.

How Mexican! I hope they still taste nice after you've finished using them.
For my Login Screen, I am trying to
make it so that when someone is logging in, their password does not
display on the screen. I guess the question i am asking is how can i
temporarily stop keystrokes from going to the console. Is this
possible??

Well, firstly, to clear up what you put in your subject but not in the
question. Your query has nothing to do with turning off standard output.
The fact that what you type is displayed on the screen has nothing to do
with the standard output stream. It's a function of your keyboard or
terminal. Most C implementations provide a way of controlling whether or
not keystrokes are echoed to the screen. It's done in a different way on
each operating system. It's not defined by the C standard, so it's
off-topic here. Try asking in a newsgroup that discusses programming on
your particular platform, for example, comp.unix.programmer if you're on
a Unix-like or Posix-like platform.

Simon.

Richard Bos

Simon Biber said:
How Mexican! I hope they still taste nice after you've finished using them.

Well, firstly, to clear up what you put in your subject but not in the
question. Your query has nothing to do with turning off standard output.
The fact that what you type is displayed on the screen has nothing to do
with the standard output stream. It's a function of your keyboard or
terminal. Most C implementations provide a way of controlling whether or
not keystrokes are echoed to the screen. It's done in a different way on
each operating system.

And under some circumstances, it's not even possible.

FAQ: <http://c-faq.com/osdep/cbreak.html>

Richard