  1. Xantipius

    Xantipius Guest

    subj
    Xantipius, Aug 13, 2012

  2. On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 03:18:49 -0700, Xantipius wrote:

    > subj

    The same way as you compressed it, only in reverse.

    When you ask a sensible question, I'm sure that somebody will give you a
    sensible answer.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Aug 13, 2012

  3. On 13/08/2012 11:18, Xantipius wrote:
    > subj

    Either

    a) write some code and when and if it fails give us a small code snippet
    that demonstates the problem with the complete traceback.

    or

    b) state how much you are willing to pay for someone here to come up
    with a solution for you.

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.
    Mark Lawrence, Aug 13, 2012
  4. Xantipius

    PythonAB Guest

    On 13 aug 2012, at 14:40, Mark Lawrence wrote:

    > On 13/08/2012 11:18, Xantipius wrote:
    >> subj
    >>

    > Either
    >
    > a) write some code and when and if it fails give us a small code snippet that demonstates the problem with the complete traceback.
    >
    > or
    >
    > b) state how much you are willing to pay for someone here to come up with a solution for you.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Mark Lawrence.

    or... go out and buy the DVD it's ripped from... ;)
    PythonAB, Aug 13, 2012
  5. Xantipius

    Miki Tebeka Guest

    Have a look at PyMedia.
    Miki Tebeka, Aug 13, 2012
  6. Xantipius

    Xantipius Guest

    On Aug 13, 3:40 pm, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    > On 13/08/2012 11:18, Xantipius wrote:
    >
    > > subj

    > Either
    >
    > a) write some code and when and if it fails give us a small code snippet
    > that demonstates the problem with the complete traceback.
    >
    > or
    >
    > b) state how much you are willing to pay for someone here to come up
    > with a solution for you.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Mark Lawrence.

    Mark, in regard your last remark:
    it's just a recreation for me. Nothing more in it.
    I like to put some weird and useless problems before myself.

    Cheers.
    Xantipius, Aug 14, 2012
  7. Xantipius

    Xantipius Guest

    On Aug 13, 5:03 pm, Miki Tebeka <> wrote:
    > Have a look at PyMedia.

    Miki, I've just downloaded this. Thanks.

    A quote from their website:
    Video file as pictures
    Save your video clip into the set of BMP pictures and enjoy your
    favourite snapshot.
    Get your video back after you have it as pictures

    This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Xantipius, Aug 14, 2012
  8. On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Xantipius <> wrote:
    > Mark, in regard your last remark:
    > it's just a recreation for me. Nothing more in it.
    > I like to put some weird and useless problems before myself.

    In that case, I strongly recommend that you write some code instead of
    throwing zero-effort questions onto a mailing list.

    Though this sort of request does tend to have amusement value. Thanks Ben!

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Aug 14, 2012
  9. On 14/08/2012 00:00, Xantipius wrote:
    > On Aug 13, 3:40 pm, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    >> On 13/08/2012 11:18, Xantipius wrote:
    >>
    >>> subj

    >> Either
    >>
    >> a) write some code and when and if it fails give us a small code snippet
    >> that demonstates the problem with the complete traceback.
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> b) state how much you are willing to pay for someone here to come up
    >> with a solution for you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Mark Lawrence.

    > Mark, in regard your last remark:
    > it's just a recreation for me. Nothing more in it.
    > I like to put some weird and useless problems before myself.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Is it your normal practice to communicate with yourself via a public
    mailing list/news group? When did you seek my permission to call me by
    my forename?

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.
    Mark Lawrence, Aug 14, 2012
  10. On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 01:34:46 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:

    > When did you seek my permission to call me by my forename?

    Sheesh. It's 2012, not 1812. If you sign your posts with your full name,
    you have to expect that people will call you "Mark" rather than "Mr
    Lawrence" or "Lord High Mucky-Muck Grand Poohbar Lawrence" -- even if
    they haven't been formally introduced.

    Mark, we're all human and the occasional snark is only to be expected,
    but demanding that people ask permission to call you by your first name
    in an informal forum like this crosses the line to total dickishness.
    Chill out before you get yourself kill-filed into irrelevance.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Aug 14, 2012
  11. On 14/08/2012 04:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 01:34:46 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >> When did you seek my permission to call me by my forename?

    > Sheesh. It's 2012, not 1812. If you sign your posts with your full name,
    > you have to expect that people will call you "Mark" rather than "Mr
    > Lawrence" or "Lord High Mucky-Muck Grand Poohbar Lawrence" -- even if
    > they haven't been formally introduced.
    >
    > Mark, we're all human and the occasional snark is only to be expected,
    > but demanding that people ask permission to call you by your first name
    > in an informal forum like this crosses the line to total dickishness.
    > Chill out before you get yourself kill-filed into irrelevance.

    For the record I was asked to use my full name rather than my user name
    on Python mailing lists. But see also my earlier reply to you on the
    "save dictionary to a file without brackets" thread.

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.
    Mark Lawrence, Aug 14, 2012
  12. On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 12:38:24 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:

    > On 14/08/2012 04:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

    [...]
    > For the record I was asked to use my full name rather than my user name
    > on Python mailing lists. But see also my earlier reply to you on the
    > "save dictionary to a file without brackets" thread.

    And thank you for your reasonable reply.

    I don't remember anything about this request to use your full name. I
    won't speak for others, but I support the right of people to be known by
    whatever (reasonable, non-offensive) name or names they choose on
    informal mailing lists like this, so long as they give *some* moniker
    that others can refer to them by.

    If somebody here wants to be known as "Mr Smith", or "Professor Jones",
    or "Tomato Girl the Boy Wonder" for that matter, then they need only sign
    their posts that way and give that in their From address, and I will use
    it. The pattern "Personal-Name Family-Name" is not the only naming system
    in the world.

    http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

    (However, I don't promise not to roll my eyes if they choose a silly
    moniker, and I am the final arbitrator as to what counts as silly.)

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Aug 14, 2012
  13. [OT] A short Usenet primer (was: How to uncompress a VOB file? (Win XP))

    Mark Lawrence wrote:

    > On 14/08/2012 00:00, Xantipius wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Either
    >>>
    >>> a) write some code and when and if it fails give us a small code snippet
    >>> that demonstates the problem with the complete traceback.
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> b) state how much you are willing to pay for someone here to come up
    >>> with a solution for you.

    >> Mark, in regard your last remark:
    >> it's just a recreation for me. Nothing more in it.
    >> I like to put some weird and useless problems before myself.

    > Is it […] normal practice to communicate with yourself via a public
    > mailing list/news group?

    No, it is not. However, I would not expect too much from a Google Groups
    user who posts under pseudonym without a reasonable message body. Probably
    they are not even aware that they are on Usenet, thinking that they are
    posting to a Web forum instead.

    > When did you seek my permission to call me by my forename?

    AIUI, in English (which is not my native language), it is customary that
    peers call themselves by their first names (in other languages, too). This
    does not necessarily indicate familiarity. We are all peers on/in this
    mailing list/newsgroup working on different aspects of the same problem:
    learning how to write good Python programs.

    So you should not be surprised to be called and referred to by your first
    name or nick name. In fact, on Usenet it is usually considered an
    appreciation of the person so addressed *not* to use their last name. If
    you are called by someone by your last name only, you probably did that
    someone very wrong (or encountered a hypersensitive entity, or you are being
    trolled; depends).

    However, communication that really only concerns two people should be
    limited to private e-mail (which is what the mandatory address header fields
    are for). (I think this one should be public, for other newbies.)

    HTH. And trim your quotes to the relevant minimum, please.

    --
    PointedEars

    Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 14, 2012
  14. [OT] Posting under ones full name (was: How to uncompress a VOB file? (Win XP))

    Mark Lawrence wrote:

    > On 14/08/2012 04:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 01:34:46 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    >>> When did you seek my permission to call me by my forename?

    >> Sheesh. It's 2012, not 1812. If you sign your posts with your full name,
    >> you have to expect that people will call you "Mark" rather than "Mr
    >> Lawrence" or "Lord High Mucky-Muck Grand Poohbar Lawrence" -- even if
    >> they haven't been formally introduced.
    >>
    >> Mark, we're all human and the occasional snark is only to be expected,
    >> but demanding that people ask permission to call you by your first name
    >> in an informal forum like this crosses the line to total dickishness.
    >> Chill out before you get yourself kill-filed into irrelevance.

    > For the record I was asked to use my full name rather than my user name
    > on Python mailing lists.

    Apples and oranges.

    Probably you were asked that so that your postings could be distinguished
    from that of the other potential Marks around here. Some people, including
    me, also consider posting under real name a basic act of politeness and form
    towards the reader, equivalent of an introduction of oneself. Important
    enouth that, if not showed, will reduce the probability for an answer
    (sometimes down to zero). For the record shows that if one aspect of
    politeness is ignored, other aspects are usually ignored as well. People
    tend to hide behind pseudo-anonymity; they tend to write impolite things
    *intentionally* which they would not do if their real name was known and so
    their reputation IRL would be at stake.

    Here endeth the lesson ;-)

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 14, 2012
  15. Re: [OT] Posting under ones full name (was: How to uncompress a VOBfile? (Win XP))

    On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
    <> wrote:
    > Probably you were asked that so that your postings could be distinguished
    > from that of the other potential Marks around here.

    I have my surname in my From address, but I tend to sign my posts
    "ChrisA" (no relation, btw, to DaveA, though our surnames are
    similar). That's generally been sufficient for distinguishing
    purposes, though if anyone wants a truly unique handle for me,
    "Rosuav" is more effective than my real name.

    > Some people, including
    > me, also consider posting under real name a basic act of politeness... People
    > tend to hide behind pseudo-anonymity; they tend to write impolite things
    > *intentionally* which they would not do if their real name was known and so
    > their reputation IRL would be at stake.

    Agreed. Sometimes that's a good thing; there are places where
    anonymity protection is important. But with these sorts of lists,
    there's the potential to acquire a strong positive or strong negative
    reputation; people who want a positive reputation usually want it
    associated with *them*, not with some pseudonym.

    Though I'm now not so sure about your name, PointedEars. Are you a
    Vulcan or an elf?

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Aug 14, 2012
  16. Re: [OT] Posting under ones full name (was: How to uncompress a VOBfile? (Win XP))

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:46:31 +1000, Chris Angelico <>

    > Though I'm now not so sure about your name, PointedEars. Are you a
    > Vulcan or an elf?

    Maybe he's a Chihuahua <G>

    {says the Imperial Vargr}
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Aug 14, 2012
  17. Re: [OT] Posting under ones full name (was: How to uncompress a VOBfile? (Win XP))

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:46:31 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

    > I have my surname in my From address, but I tend to sign my posts
    > "ChrisA" (no relation, btw, to DaveA, though our surnames are similar).
    > That's generally been sufficient for distinguishing purposes, though if
    > anyone wants a truly unique handle for me, "Rosuav" is more effective
    > than my real name.

    Mom? Is that you?

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Aug 15, 2012
  18. Re: [OT] Posting under ones full name (was: How to uncompress a VOBfile? (Win XP))

    On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Steven D'Aprano
    <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:46:31 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
    >
    >> I have my surname in my From address, but I tend to sign my posts
    >> "ChrisA" (no relation, btw, to DaveA, though our surnames are similar).
    >> That's generally been sufficient for distinguishing purposes, though if
    >> anyone wants a truly unique handle for me, "Rosuav" is more effective
    >> than my real name.

    > Mom? Is that you?

    Eh?

    I'm guessing that's a reference to something that I'm not familiar with?

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Aug 15, 2012
  19. Re: [OT] Posting under ones full name

    Chris Angelico wrote:

    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    >> Probably you were asked that so that your postings could be distinguished
    >> from that of the other potential Marks around here.

    > I have my surname in my From address, but I tend to sign my posts
    > "ChrisA" (no relation, btw, to DaveA, though our surnames are
    > similar). That's generally been sufficient for distinguishing
    > purposes, though if anyone wants a truly unique handle for me,
    > "Rosuav" is more effective than my real name.

    For one to read your signature, one has to download and read your entire
    posting first.

    >> Some people, including me, also consider posting under real name a basic
    >> act of politeness...

    Please use `[...]' or `[…]' to indicate omission instead. I could have
    written `politeness...' myself.

    >> People tend to hide behind pseudo-anonymity; they tend to write impolite
    >> things *intentionally* which they would not do if their real name was
    >> known and so their reputation IRL would be at stake.

    > Agreed. Sometimes that's a good thing; there are places where
    > anonymity protection is important. But with these sorts of lists,
    > there's the potential to acquire a strong positive or strong negative
    > reputation; people who want a positive reputation usually want it
    > associated with *them*, not with some pseudonym.

    ACK.

    > Though I'm now not so sure about your name, PointedEars. Are you a
    > Vulcan or an elf?

    That is a stupid question.

    --
    F'up2 PointedEars

    Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 15, 2012
  20. Re: [OT] Posting under ones full name

    On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
    <> wrote:
    > Chris Angelico wrote:
    >
    >> I have my surname in my From address, but I tend to sign my posts
    >> "ChrisA" (no relation, btw, to DaveA, though our surnames are
    >> similar). That's generally been sufficient for distinguishing
    >> purposes, though if anyone wants a truly unique handle for me,
    >> "Rosuav" is more effective than my real name.

    > For one to read your signature, one has to download and read your entire
    > posting first.

    And my signature has less information than the headers. So you're not
    deprived of anything.

    >>> Some people, including me, also consider posting under real name a basic
    >>> act of politeness...

    > Please use `[...]' or `[…]' to indicate omission instead. I could have
    > written `politeness...' myself.

    You might, indeed. But since the triple-period is a standard rendition
    of the grammatical notion of ellipsis, it's a generally-understood
    notation to indicate the possible omission of quoted text.

    >> Though I'm now not so sure about your name, PointedEars. Are you a
    >> Vulcan or an elf?

    > That is a stupid question.

    Of course, my bad. The difference is obvious, I should have known
    which without asking.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Aug 15, 2012