How to uninstall an Java web start program?

Discussion in 'Java' started by NeoGeoSNK, Oct 12, 2006.

  1. NeoGeoSNK

    NeoGeoSNK Guest

    I wrote an JNLP file like this:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <jnlp codebase="file:." href="file.jnlp">
    <information>

    <offline-allowed/>
    </information>
    <resources>
    <j2se version="1.5+"/>
    <jar href="filechooser.jar" download="eager"/>
    </resources>
    <application-desc main-class="FileChooser"/>
    </jnlp>

    this is a small tool run in current directory, but after I delete
    "filechooser.jar". the "file.jnlp" can still work, I try to remove it
    from Windows's controll pane->add or remove programs.But it seams
    dosen't take effect? is there sb give help ?
    Thanks!

    NeoGeoSNK, Oct 12, 2006

  2. NeoGeoSNK wrote:
    > I wrote an JNLP file like this:
    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    > <jnlp codebase="file:." href="file.jnlp">
    > <information>
    >
    > <offline-allowed/>

    a)

    > </information>
    > <resources>
    > <j2se version="1.5+"/>
    > <jar href="filechooser.jar" download="eager"/>

    b)

    > </resources>
    > <application-desc main-class="FileChooser"/>
    > </jnlp>
    >
    > this is a small tool run in current directory, but after I delete
    > "filechooser.jar". the "file.jnlp" can still work,

    It should. WebStart will have honored the 'offline-allowed'(a)
    element and 'eager'(b) attributes to indicate it should cache
    the resources in the local web start cache(c)..

    >..I try to remove it
    > from Windows's controll pane->add or remove programs.But it seams
    > dosen't take effect?

    It might be a corrupted cache, but there are some
    other things you can try first *

    >...is there sb give help ?

    Are you calling me a son-of-a-bitch?
    Please spell words fully (it is not so important if
    they have an occasional spelling error )..

    * Other ways to uninstall WebStart applications,

    1) Open the command line and find your way to the project
    directory (containing the JNLP), and type..

    javaws -uninstall file:./file.jnlp

    (or something like that, play with it.)

    2) The other 'more GUI' way (for Win XP) is to ...
    Start | Settings | Control Panel
    Java/Icon | (General/Tab) - Delete Files/Button
    ...select which appropriate, or for more control (
    recommended), select the next button 'Settings'

    3) The Settings button to produce the
    'Temporary Files Settings' dialog. This has buttons like
    Delete Files, View Applications/Applets, but more
    importantly, it shows (and allows you to change) the
    location of the cache. [ (c) 'the cache' was the (c)
    reference from above.]

    If the cache happens to be corrupted (something that
    has happened to me once in a period of around 4
    weeks of regular JNLP development) it might be best
    to start a new, fresh one.

    But be warned. If you attempt to clear the cache by
    deleting it, or files within it, you will almost certainly
    corrupt it. Only use the supplied tools, for dealing
    with the webstart resource cache.

    HTH

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 12, 2006

  3. NeoGeoSNK

    NeoGeoSNK Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > NeoGeoSNK wrote:
    > > I wrote an JNLP file like this:
    > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    > > <jnlp codebase="file:." href="file.jnlp">
    > > <information>
    > >
    > > <offline-allowed/>

    > a)
    >
    > > </information>
    > > <resources>
    > > <j2se version="1.5+"/>
    > > <jar href="filechooser.jar" download="eager"/>

    > b)
    >
    > > </resources>
    > > <application-desc main-class="FileChooser"/>
    > > </jnlp>
    > >
    > > this is a small tool run in current directory, but after I delete
    > > "filechooser.jar". the "file.jnlp" can still work,

    > It should. WebStart will have honored the 'offline-allowed'(a)
    > element and 'eager'(b) attributes to indicate it should cache
    > the resources in the local web start cache(c)..
    >
    > >..I try to remove it
    > > from Windows's controll pane->add or remove programs.But it seams
    > > dosen't take effect?

    > It might be a corrupted cache, but there are some
    > other things you can try first *
    >
    > >...is there sb give help ?

    > Are you calling me a son-of-a-bitch?
    > Please spell words fully (it is not so important if
    > they have an occasional spelling error )..
    >
    > * Other ways to uninstall WebStart applications,
    >
    > 1) Open the command line and find your way to the project
    > directory (containing the JNLP), and type..
    >
    > javaws -uninstall file:./file.jnlp
    >
    > (or something like that, play with it.)
    >
    > 2) The other 'more GUI' way (for Win XP) is to ...
    > Start | Settings | Control Panel
    > Java/Icon | (General/Tab) - Delete Files/Button
    > ..select which appropriate, or for more control (
    > recommended), select the next button 'Settings'
    >
    > 3) The Settings button to produce the
    > 'Temporary Files Settings' dialog. This has buttons like
    > Delete Files, View Applications/Applets, but more
    > importantly, it shows (and allows you to change) the
    > location of the cache. [ (c) 'the cache' was the (c)
    > reference from above.]
    >
    > If the cache happens to be corrupted (something that
    > has happened to me once in a period of around 4
    > weeks of regular JNLP development) it might be best
    > to start a new, fresh one.
    >
    > But be warned. If you attempt to clear the cache by
    > deleting it, or files within it, you will almost certainly
    > corrupt it. Only use the supplied tools, for dealing
    > with the webstart resource cache.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Thank you very much Adrew T :)
    I have alreay solved the problem, thanks for your help in these two
    days.
    I try to delete the cache in javacpl.exe -> general -> delete temp
    files..., but receive an exception "corrupted javaws files..........."
    so i get the path of temp files from javacpl.exe->general ->
    Settings... and delete all cache files. now it seems work well again:)

    > >Are you calling me a son-of-a-bitch?
    > >Please spell words fully (it is not so important if
    > >they have an occasional spelling error )..

    >I'm sorry about that, My mother language is Chinese. in fact, it's a little difficult for me to write and read in English, I must use a goolge translator or a online dictionary to understand you replay :) I learnt "sb == somebody" from my colleague, they usually communicate with French in English, and I can see "sb" in their mails anywhere :) I think both French and Chinese don't know sb also means "a son-of-a-bitch" :) I'm sorry.

    >It's my first time to ask for help from goole groups. and I'm so Lucky to get your help.

    Thanks and Best Regards!

    NeoGeoSNK, Oct 12, 2006