How to uninstall ruby on FreeBSD 8.0?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Wilson Wang, Jul 20, 2010.

  1. Wilson Wang

    Wilson Wang Guest

    Dear all,

    I am so stupid to install ruby in a wrong way so that I don't know how
    to uninstall it from my server (OS: FreeBSD 8.0) now.

    I did the following things:

    1. wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org//pub/ruby/1.....1-p378.tar.gz

    2. tar xzvf ruby-1.9.1-p378.tar.gz

    3. cd ruby-1.9.1-p378

    4. sudo make install

    I just found the version I installed is not proper for my computer; it
    should be for "amd64-freebsd8" rather than "x86_64-freebsd8.0". However,
    I don't know how to deinstall it! There is no "deinstall" instruction in
    the Makefile. Can anyone help me solve this problem? Thank you very
    much!

    Sincerely,
    Wilson
    Wilson Wang, Jul 20, 2010

  2. Hi Wilson,

    Everything should be in /usr/local unless you changed the prefix in
    the configure script.

    /usr/local/lib/ruby,
    /usr/local/bin/{ruby,ri,erb,irb}

    May I suggest the ruby19 port from the ports system, or if you want newer, rvm?
    http://www.freebsd.org/ports
    http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/

    Regards,
    Jason

    Jason Stewart, Jul 20, 2010

  3. Wilson Wang

    Wilson Wang Guest

    Jason Stewart wrote:
    > Hi Wilson,
    >
    > Everything should be in /usr/local unless you changed the prefix in
    > the configure script.
    >
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby,
    > /usr/local/bin/{ruby,ri,erb,irb}
    >
    > May I suggest the ruby19 port from the ports system, or if you want
    > newer, rvm?
    > http://www.freebsd.org/ports
    > http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jason

    Hi Jason,

    Thanks for your prompt reply!
    No, I did not change the prefix in the configure script.
    Therefore, do you mean that I can easily remove all of the dependent
    files in /usr/local/lib/ruby and /usr/local/bin/{ruby,ri,erb,irb}?

    More specifically:
    rm -r /usr/local/lib/ruby
    rm -r /usr/local/bin/ruby
    rm -r /usr/local/bin/ri
    rm -r /usr/local/bin/erb
    rm -r /usr/local/bin/irb

    I know how to install ruby19 from the ports system.
    However, I was so stupid trying to download the source code and
    installed it by my way...
    Thank you very much! I will never do these silly things again!

    To Dan,

    Thanks for your guidance!
    I will try it!
    Thanks again!