How to unique identify revisit client computer

Goh

Hi,

I would like to know how can we implement a web page that
intelligent enough to unique identify that pc have been visit before without
any cookies and login user require.

I have try implement this by MAC address. When user browser the web
site I sometime can get user pc MAC and sometime no.

Why this type of implementation are so not consistency? Does any
firewall block this type of request?

Have any article or samples source code that help? What is the
problem behind this implementation.

The Web Site is sit on Windows XP pro. Do any IIS configuration
related issue here?

Thanks in advance for any comment and tips.

Best regards,
Goh

Karl Seguin

Your out of luck. The client doesnt' send the MAC address to the server.
If it's working in some cases, then some browsers much be sending it, but it
is't a requirement of the HTTP protocol, and thus cannot be reliably called
upon.

Your only choice is to use the IP address - which isn't a good idea thanks
to proxies, or maybe stoer a cookie on the client - which also isn't a great
idea.

Karl

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Goh,

I think Karl's opinion on this is reasonable. MAC address is a clientside
machine's hardware info which is not automatically contained in the HTTP
webrequest and the ASP.NET or IIS server can only get the IP address.
However, as we know that most client will be hidden behind proxys or
gateways... or in a certain subnet, so the IP address dosn't quite address
the problem. So far I think cookie is the most reasonable approach for
storing info to idenfity relation between client and server.......

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Karl Seguin" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME
net>
| Subject: Re: How to unique identify revisit client computer
| Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:36:39 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Your out of luck. The client doesnt' send the MAC address to the server.
| If it's working in some cases, then some browsers much be sending it, but
it
| is't a requirement of the HTTP protocol, and thus cannot be reliably
called
| upon.
|
| Your only choice is to use the IP address - which isn't a good idea
thanks
| to proxies, or maybe stoer a cookie on the client - which also isn't a
great
| idea.
|
| Karl
|
| --
|
| MY ASP.Net tutorials
| http://www.openmymind.net/
|

| | > Hi,
| >
| > I would like to know how can we implement a web page that
| > intelligent enough to unique identify that pc have been visit before
| > without any cookies and login user require.
| >
| > I have try implement this by MAC address. When user browser the
web
| > site I sometime can get user pc MAC and sometime no.
| >
| > Why this type of implementation are so not consistency? Does any
| > firewall block this type of request?
| >
| > Have any article or samples source code that help? What is the
| > problem behind this implementation.
| >
| > The Web Site is sit on Windows XP pro. Do any IIS configuration
| > related issue here?
| >
| > Thanks in advance for any comment and tips.
| >
| > Best regards,
| > Goh

Goh

The method that I use is using process to run windows arp.exe program
with -a arguments. this arp.exe file will list out all the client that
connected to server. I use the IP address that return to from HTTP can match
with the arp output.

ARP program return IP address and MAC address of each client that
connected to the pc. nbtstat.exe is another program that similar with arp.

I think it must be some reason for some pc that I can't get the MAC
address in ASP.Net. As I know router or DHCP are also using MAC in the
mapping table for unique identify each device that is connected.

any comment on this issue.

Goh

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Goh,

If the web application is public to internet users since most clients are
from different network spaces... so the IP address IIS get dosn't reflect
the actual network address of the client. Also, since for internet client ,
when ARP broadcast need to rely on internet routers, if sometimes the
broadcast message is not router correctly, there may exists problem on
this. Anyway, I'd suggest you try posting in some windows platform
newsgroup on using ARP program.....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Goh" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: How to unique identify revisit client computer
| Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:11:20 +0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| The method that I use is using process to run windows arp.exe program
| with -a arguments. this arp.exe file will list out all the client that
| connected to server. I use the IP address that return to from HTTP can
match
| with the arp output.
|
| ARP program return IP address and MAC address of each client that
| connected to the pc. nbtstat.exe is another program that similar with arp.
|
| I think it must be some reason for some pc that I can't get the MAC
| address in ASP.Net. As I know router or DHCP are also using MAC in the
| mapping table for unique identify each device that is connected.
|
| any comment on this issue.
|
| Goh
|
| | > Hi Goh,
| >
| > I think Karl's opinion on this is reasonable. MAC address is a
clientside
| > machine's hardware info which is not automatically contained in the HTTP
| > webrequest and the ASP.NET or IIS server can only get the IP address.
| > However, as we know that most client will be hidden behind proxys or
| > gateways... or in a certain subnet, so the IP address dosn't quite
address
| > the problem. So far I think cookie is the most reasonable approach for
| > storing info to idenfity relation between client and server.......
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Karl Seguin" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO .
ANDME
| > net>
| > | Subject: Re: How to unique identify revisit client computer
| > | Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:36:39 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Your out of luck. The client doesnt' send the MAC address to the
| > server.
| > | If it's working in some cases, then some browsers much be sending it,
| > but
| > it
| > | is't a requirement of the HTTP protocol, and thus cannot be reliably
| > called
| > | upon.
| > |
| > | Your only choice is to use the IP address - which isn't a good idea
| > thanks
| > | to proxies, or maybe stoer a cookie on the client - which also isn't a
| > great
| > | idea.
| > |
| > | Karl