How to update the GUI

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Roland Mösl, Sep 17, 2010.

  1. Roland Mösl

    Roland Mösl Guest

    I am just migrating a software from
    a 11 year old version from active Perl.

    This 11 year old version can not be direct installed on Windows 7 - 64 Bit.

    The main migration problem is the behavior of the GUI updates
    during the software operates.

    During long task, can be up to 2 hours,
    the old Perl version shows updates on the GUI,
    so the user is informed about the progress of the work.

    I installed now
    ActivePerl 5.12 - Windows x86

    The old software runs, but the only major problem:

    The GUI does not update during long tasks.
    The GUI updates only when PERL waits for the
    next user interaction.

    How to force during the software works
    updates of the GUI display?

    --
    Roland Mösl - PEGE - http://www.pege.org
    Planetary Engineering Group Earth
    Roland Mösl, Sep 17, 2010

  2. On 2010-09-17 02:37, Ben Morrow wrote:

    > Quoth =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=<>:
    >> I am just migrating a software from
    >> a 11 year old version from active Perl.

    > Which version of Perl were you using previously?

    ActiveState built 522 from 1999

    > Which version of Windows?

    This had been used under Win 95, Win 98, Win XP
    and now under Windows 7 64 Bit.

    Only the installer does not work under Windows 7 64 Bit.

    I transferred with Laplink PC-Mover
    the installation from my old Win XP to my new notebook

    >> This 11 year old version can not be direct installed on Windows 7 - 64 Bit.

    > Have you tried 5.12 under whatever version of Windows you were using
    > before?

    I tried to migrate also 2002, but I was not able to
    solve the same problem, the GUI updates.

    >> The main migration problem is the behavior of the GUI updates
    >> during the software operates.

    > What GUI toolkit are you using?

    HTA = Hyper Text Application
    using MSIE as GUI

    Looks like

    <HTA:APPLICATION ID="oHTA"
    applicationname="APPLICATIONNAME"
    icon=ICONPATH
    scroll=no
    singleInstance=yes
    windowstate=maximize />

    <script language=PerlScript>

    use strict "vars";
    use strict "refs";
    use strict "subs";
    use Win32::Shell;

    &init();

    >> During long task, can be up to 2 hours,
    >> the old Perl version shows updates on the GUI,
    >> so the user is informed about the progress of the work.
    >>
    >> I installed now
    >> ActivePerl 5.12 - Windows x86
    >>
    >> The old software runs, but the only major problem:
    >>
    >> The GUI does not update during long tasks.
    >> The GUI updates only when PERL waits for the
    >> next user interaction.

    > Please post a minimal program that exhibits this problem.

    I use for example updates of the title like

    $main::window->document-> { "title" } = "Just working on folder/file";

    This statements are all around the program, for example
    during editing a page:

    $main::window->document-> { "title" } = "Edit at folder/file";

    Than I start the software for a long task,
    for example to create out of the database 2000 html pages

    During this long task, the title should be changed
    to show the progress of the work

    $main::window->document-> { "title" } = "Creating hmtl at 2000/index";
    $main::window->document-> { "title" } = "Creating hmtl at 2010/index";

    And when the task is finished again

    $main::window->document-> { "title" } = "Edit at folder/file";

    But at Perl 5.12, I see always onle "Edit at folder/file"
    instead of the progress messages.

    I also use innerHTML to show a progress bar

    $main::window->document->all->message-> { 'innerHTML' } =
    $compile::progress;

    Same effect, never saw this display under Perl 5.12

    Roland Mösl, Sep 17, 2010

  3. On 2010-09-17 04:23, Ben Morrow <> wrote:

    > Quoth =?UTF-8?B?Um9sYW5kIE3DtnNs?= <>:

    [...]
    >> I tried to migrate also 2002, but I was not able to
    >> solve the same problem, the GUI updates.

    > I don't understand what you mean here. What is '2002'?

    The year 2002. So the problem probably already existed in 5.8.0 or
    5.6.1.

    hp
    Peter J. Holzer, Sep 17, 2010
  4. On 2010-09-17 06:23, Ben Morrow wrote:

    > Quoth =?UTF-8?B?Um9sYW5kIE3DtnNs?=<>:

    >>> Which version of Perl were you using previously?

    >> ActiveState built 522 from 1999

    > Which version of *perl* is that? 5005?

    Perl 5

    > If so you should have upgraded
    > a long time ago.

    This was not possible, because of the GUI problem

    >>> Which version of Windows?

    >> This had been used under Win 95, Win 98, Win XP
    >> and now under Windows 7 64 Bit.
    >>
    >> Only the installer does not work under Windows 7 64 Bit.

    > I presume you mean the ActiveState installer for the old build of perl?

    Yes, the installer of the 1999 version is 16 bit software
    not possible to run under 64 Bit Windows 7

    >> I transferred with Laplink PC-Mover
    >> the installation from my old Win XP to my new notebook

    > So, let me get this straight:
    >
    > 5005 on WinXP works correctly
    > 5005 on Win7 works correctly
    > 5.12 on Win7 fails

    Yes, the GUI update problem

    > Have you tried using 5.12 on WinXP?

    I have installed 5.12 on my old Win XP notebook
    to test

    >>> Please post a minimal program that exhibits this problem.

    Save this as example.hta

    <head>
    <title>Example for GUI Update problem</title>

    <HTA:APPLICATION ID="oHTA"
    applicationname="Example for GUI Update problem"
    icon=../pic/wds.ico
    scroll=no
    singleInstance=yes
    windowstate=maximize />

    </head>

    <h1> This example shows the problem with the GUI update</h1>

    <script language="PerlScript">

    use strict "vars";
    use strict "refs";
    use strict "subs";

    $main::window->document-> { "title" } = "Changing title after start";

    my $second;

    for ( $second = 1; $second < 15; $second++ )
    {
    sleep ( 1 );
    $main::window->document-> { "title" } = "Changing title after $second
    seconds";
    }

    $main::window->document-> { "title" } = "You should have seen changing
    this title every second";

    </script>

    Roland Mösl, Sep 17, 2010
  5. On 2010-09-17 18:43, Ben Morrow wrote:

    > Quoth =?UTF-8?B?Um9sYW5kIE3DtnNs?=<>:

    >>> Which version of *perl* is that? 5005?

    >> Perl 5

    > <sigh> Perl 5 *point* *what*? Please post the output of perl -v for the
    > old perl.

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Users\Roland Mösl>perl -v

    This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for MSWin32-x86-object

    Copyright 1987-1999, Larry Wall

    Binary build 522 provided by ActiveState Tool Corp.
    http://www.ActiveState.com
    Built 09:52:28 Nov 2 1999

    >>> If so you should have upgraded
    >>> a long time ago.

    >> This was not possible, because of the GUI problem

    > So Peter is correct in suggesting that this is not a problem with
    > upgrading to 5.12, but rather a problem with upgrading to 5.6? Have you
    > checked the PerlScript docs to see if anything changed between 5005 and
    > 5.6? Given the core perl changes that happened at that time I wouldn't
    > be the least bit surprised if PerlScript had to change as well.

    I checked this in several attempts 2002 to solve the problem
    with the GUI update.

    I had no success.

    But now is the situation critical, because
    more and more of my clients will migrate to a Win7 64 Bit,
    and it's very complicate to install with the PC-mover trick

    >>> So, let me get this straight:
    >>>
    >>> 5005 on WinXP works correctly
    >>> 5005 on Win7 works correctly
    >>> 5.12 on Win7 fails

    >> Yes, the GUI update problem
    >>
    >>> Have you tried using 5.12 on WinXP?

    >> I have installed 5.12 on my old Win XP notebook
    >> to test

    > ...and?

    Regardless what windows version, there is this GUI update problem

    Roland Mösl, Sep 17, 2010