How to use a dynamic text link as a post-back trigger?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by darrel, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. darrel

    darrel Guest

    I have a form that has a 'sub-form' in it that updates a separate table.

    I can easily add records to this table from within this page. To delete,
    though, I've been redirecting to a different 'delete' page where it asks for
    confirmation before deleting. This works, but the problem is that I loose my
    postback information from the main page. Since this is just a small bit of a
    larger form, I don't want people to fill out half the form, get to this
    point, delete an item, only to see the rest of their form reset.

    So...

    I decided that the confirmation isn't really that necessary for this, since
    it's just a relationship I'm deleting...not the actual record. As such, I
    want to delete the item from this page.

    The question is how to I create these dynamic 'delete' links? Here's how I
    currently do it:

    (larger part of form)

    item 1 | delete
    item 2 | delete
    item 3 | delete

    these delete links are in a repeater and I build them one by one as such:

    a href="deletepage.aspx?itemToDelete=[itemID]

    So, I'm passing a specific field with each link to a new page.

    Is there a way I can make these dynamicly rendered links (or buttons, if
    need be) postback triggers? If so, how can I dynamically attach the itemID
    to each one?

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jan 27, 2005

  2. darrel

    MWells Guest

    Darrel, I'm not highly familiar with the capabilities of the Repeater
    control, so I don't know whether there is a way to easily render a
    LinkButton-type control in your current approach.

    However you can definately emulate this behavior in a DataGrid, which seems
    more appropriate for what you're doing.

    In that approach, you would have a Delete link per row, which on click would
    do a postback instead of a link to another page. Since you're not leaving
    the page you don't lose your view state, and you can still do the delete
    operations ad-hoc.

    Another approach is to programmatically render your UI using a Table and
    embedding TableRow's, TableCell's, LinkButton's, etc. This is nice for
    especially complex UI's but in your case I would guess that the DataGrid is
    the best solution.

    /// M

    MWells, Jan 28, 2005