How to Use ActiveX for Client PC using ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Prabhat, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    Hi Friends,

    I have created one ActiveX DLL in VB that has one public function
    ("GetClientCPUID") which will return a string of the CPUID. I want to use
    this to get the clients CPUID and retuern to webserver. I am new to using
    activeX in client side.

    In Asp how can I send this ActiveX to client browser? (I will instruct my
    users to allow this activeX). Is there a way I will execute this activeX in
    clients PC and get the return value and return to the server for my
    processing? Please suggest the ways that I can do this.

    Also suggest what are the situations that I should know before I proceed. I
    think there will might a issue when I upgrade the activeX and the client
    those are using the current one may face problem so I think I will need a
    way to uninstall the register the new one. I am not sure of this. Please
    suggest.

    Thanks
    Prabhat
    Prabhat, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Prabhat

    Mike Brind Guest

    Prabhat wrote:
    > Hi Friends,
    >
    > I have created one ActiveX DLL in VB that has one public function
    > ("GetClientCPUID") which will return a string of the CPUID. I want to use
    > this to get the clients CPUID and retuern to webserver. I am new to using
    > activeX in client side.
    >
    > In Asp how can I send this ActiveX to client browser?

    OT groups removed from Crosspost.

    Which bit of "You cannot do this in ASP" did you not understand? Why
    on earth did you cross post to two ASP groups?

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Jun 6, 2006

  3. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    > OT groups removed from Crosspost.
    >
    > Which bit of "You cannot do this in ASP" did you not understand? Why
    > on earth did you cross post to two ASP groups?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Brind

    I did not cross post. I have made CC to the post. An d I think that is not
    corsspost. I am not asking you the question that cant be done in ASP. I
    asked how Can I send ActiveX DLL to client browser and return value to
    server, Is that not possible in ASP???????
    Prabhat, Jun 6, 2006
  4. "Prabhat" <> wrote in message
    > > OT groups removed from Crosspost.
    > >
    > > Which bit of "You cannot do this in ASP" did you not understand? Why
    > > on earth did you cross post to two ASP groups?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike Brind

    > I did not cross post. I have made CC to the post. An d I think that is not
    > corsspost. I am not asking you the question that cant be done in ASP. I
    > asked how Can I send ActiveX DLL to client browser and return value to
    > server, Is that not possible in ASP???????

    No you can't
    Anthony Jones, Jun 6, 2006
  5. Prabhat

    Mike Brind Guest

    Prabhat wrote:
    > > OT groups removed from Crosspost.
    > >
    > > Which bit of "You cannot do this in ASP" did you not understand? Why
    > > on earth did you cross post to two ASP groups?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike Brind

    > I did not cross post. I have made CC to the post. An d I think that is not
    > corsspost. I am not asking you the question that cant be done in ASP. I
    > asked how Can I send ActiveX DLL to client browser and return value to
    > server, Is that not possible in ASP???????

    No.
    Mike Brind, Jun 6, 2006
  6. Prabhat wrote:
    >> OT groups removed from Crosspost.
    >>
    >> Which bit of "You cannot do this in ASP" did you not understand? Why
    >> on earth did you cross post to two ASP groups?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Brind

    > I did not cross post. I have made CC to the post.

    That's the definition of a crosspost.

    Multiposting: posting individual separate messages to multiple newsgroups.
    This is very much frowned upon since it is the equivalent of running into a
    crowded room, screaming out a question, and then, without waiting for a
    reply, running into another crowded room to scream the same question. When
    people find that they've wasted their time responding to a question that has
    already been answered elsewhere, they can get extremely annoyed at the
    questioner, making it less likely that they will respond to that questioner
    in the future. Does this sound like a good strategy for getting as many
    people as possible to help you?

    Crossposting: sending a single message to multiple newsgroups by either
    including a list of the newsgroups in the To field, or using the CC as you
    did. This practice is not frowned upon as much as multiposting ... EXCEPT
    when you include irrelevant newsgroups in your crosspost. Even more so when
    you've been previously advised that your question was irrelevant for those
    groups. Irritating the people from whom you want support is not the best way
    to get their support.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 6, 2006
  7. "Prabhat" <> wrote in message
    > I have created one ActiveX DLL in VB that has one public function
    > ("GetClientCPUID") which will return a string of the CPUID. I want to use
    > this to get the clients CPUID and retuern to webserver. I am new to using
    > activeX in client side.
    >
    > In Asp how can I send this ActiveX to client browser? (I will instruct my
    > users to allow this activeX). Is there a way I will execute this activeX
    > in
    > clients PC and get the return value and return to the server for my
    > processing? Please suggest the ways that I can do this.

    Use the object tag, and IE will install it automatically (assuming the
    security settings and the user will allow it).

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/object.asp

    If these are client machines you control, it would be preferable to install
    the control NOT via drive-by download, but via a setup.exe. You could do
    this in a login script (which wouldn't require users to be local
    administrators)

    Peter

    --
    Peter Torr - http://blogs.msdn.com/ptorr
    HD DVD Program Manager
    Peter Torr \(MS\), Jun 6, 2006
  8. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    Hi Peter,

    Yes you are right. I have seen some of samples in website that they use the
    Object TAG for sending the ActiveX to client. Actually I did not know the
    procedure and I was not sure if it install it or not. I think I can use the
    TAG in ASP page to send to client. But I get reply in this post that NOooo.

    Here I am not sure how can i execute that in clients browser and return the
    value to server. Can you please advice me.

    Thanks
    Prabhat

    Prabhat, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Prabhat wrote:
    > Hi Peter,

    Followup-To set to
    microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.jscript
    Please continue discussions there.
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 6, 2006
  10. Prabhat

    Mike Brind Guest

    Prabhat wrote:
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > Yes you are right. I have seen some of samples in website that they use the
    > Object TAG for sending the ActiveX to client. Actually I did not know the
    > procedure and I was not sure if it install it or not. I think I can use the
    > TAG in ASP page to send to client. But I get reply in this post that NOooo.

    Pillock.

    Plonk.
    Mike Brind, Jun 6, 2006