How to Use ActiveX for Client PC using ASP

Prabhat

Hi Friends,

I have created one ActiveX DLL in VB that has one public function
("GetClientCPUID") which will return a string of the CPUID. I want to use
this to get the clients CPUID and retuern to webserver. I am new to using
activeX in client side.

In Asp how can I send this ActiveX to client browser? (I will instruct my
users to allow this activeX). Is there a way I will execute this activeX in
clients PC and get the return value and return to the server for my
processing? Please suggest the ways that I can do this.

Also suggest what are the situations that I should know before I proceed. I
think there will might a issue when I upgrade the activeX and the client
those are using the current one may face problem so I think I will need a
way to uninstall the register the new one. I am not sure of this. Please
suggest.

Thanks
Prabhat

Mike Brind

Prabhat said:
Hi Friends,

I have created one ActiveX DLL in VB that has one public function
("GetClientCPUID") which will return a string of the CPUID. I want to use
this to get the clients CPUID and retuern to webserver. I am new to using
activeX in client side.

In Asp how can I send this ActiveX to client browser?

OT groups removed from Crosspost.

Which bit of "You cannot do this in ASP" did you not understand? Why
on earth did you cross post to two ASP groups?

Prabhat

OT groups removed from Crosspost.
Which bit of "You cannot do this in ASP" did you not understand? Why
on earth did you cross post to two ASP groups?

I did not cross post. I have made CC to the post. An d I think that is not
corsspost. I am not asking you the question that cant be done in ASP. I
asked how Can I send ActiveX DLL to client browser and return value to
server, Is that not possible in ASP???????

Anthony Jones

Prabhat said:
I did not cross post. I have made CC to the post. An d I think that is not
corsspost. I am not asking you the question that cant be done in ASP. I
asked how Can I send ActiveX DLL to client browser and return value to
server, Is that not possible in ASP???????

No you can't

Mike Brind

Prabhat said:
I did not cross post. I have made CC to the post. An d I think that is not
corsspost. I am not asking you the question that cant be done in ASP. I
asked how Can I send ActiveX DLL to client browser and return value to
server, Is that not possible in ASP???????

No.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Prabhat said:
I did not cross post. I have made CC to the post.

That's the definition of a crosspost.

Multiposting: posting individual separate messages to multiple newsgroups.
This is very much frowned upon since it is the equivalent of running into a
crowded room, screaming out a question, and then, without waiting for a
reply, running into another crowded room to scream the same question. When
people find that they've wasted their time responding to a question that has
already been answered elsewhere, they can get extremely annoyed at the
questioner, making it less likely that they will respond to that questioner
in the future. Does this sound like a good strategy for getting as many
people as possible to help you?

Crossposting: sending a single message to multiple newsgroups by either
including a list of the newsgroups in the To field, or using the CC as you
did. This practice is not frowned upon as much as multiposting ... EXCEPT
when you include irrelevant newsgroups in your crosspost. Even more so when
you've been previously advised that your question was irrelevant for those
groups. Irritating the people from whom you want support is not the best way
to get their support.

Peter Torr \(MS\)

Prabhat said:
I have created one ActiveX DLL in VB that has one public function
("GetClientCPUID") which will return a string of the CPUID. I want to use
this to get the clients CPUID and retuern to webserver. I am new to using
activeX in client side.

In Asp how can I send this ActiveX to client browser? (I will instruct my
users to allow this activeX). Is there a way I will execute this activeX
in
clients PC and get the return value and return to the server for my
processing? Please suggest the ways that I can do this.

Use the object tag, and IE will install it automatically (assuming the
security settings and the user will allow it).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/object.asp

If these are client machines you control, it would be preferable to install
the control NOT via drive-by download, but via a setup.exe. You could do
this in a login script (which wouldn't require users to be local
administrators)

Peter

Prabhat

Hi Peter,

Yes you are right. I have seen some of samples in website that they use the
Object TAG for sending the ActiveX to client. Actually I did not know the
procedure and I was not sure if it install it or not. I think I can use the
TAG in ASP page to send to client. But I get reply in this post that NOooo.

Here I am not sure how can i execute that in clients browser and return the
value to server. Can you please advice me.

Thanks
Prabhat

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Prabhat said:
Hi Peter,
Followup-To set to
microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.jscript
Please continue discussions there.

Mike Brind

Prabhat said:
Hi Peter,

Yes you are right. I have seen some of samples in website that they use the
Object TAG for sending the ActiveX to client. Actually I did not know the
procedure and I was not sure if it install it or not. I think I can use the
TAG in ASP page to send to client. But I get reply in this post that NOooo.

Pillock.

Plonk.