How to use different sites in IIS on WinXP Pro

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Astra, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Astra

    Astra Guest

    Hi All

    Probably way off the mark here, but I have IIS running on my WinXP machine
    and I thought I could host multiple domains over the old Win98 method where
    I could only have the one?

    All I can see at the moment is that I have a Default Web Site, which is
    associated to MyPC, and all I can create is virtual directories/folders
    within this default location. This means that instead of me being able to
    create the desired effect of:

    http://mydomain1.com
    http://mydomain2.com
    etc

    All I can create is:

    http://myPC/mydomain1
    http://myPC/mydomain2
    etc

    The reason why I want the former is that I'm developing a site where the
    http and https bits are on completely different servers, so for my local dev
    I want the 2 parts of my site to be on separate local domains.

    At the moment, I'm having to use 2 WinXP machines running IIS so that I can
    put the http stuff on http://MyPC1 and the https on http://MyPC2 .

    I'm sure I can use multiple domains on the same IIS machine, as how do all
    these ISPs do it?!?!?!?

    Any pointers you can give me would be very much appreciated.

    Rgds

    Robbie

    Astra, Mar 22, 2005

  2. > Probably way off the mark here, but I have IIS running on my WinXP machine
    > and I thought I could host multiple domains over the old Win98 method where
    > I could only have the one?

    No, XP has the same limitations. It's still a desktop operating system, not
    a server. You might be able to try the workaround mentioned here:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2056

    > I'm sure I can use multiple domains on the same IIS machine, as how do all
    > these ISPs do it?!?!?!?

    They use Windows Server, not a desktop operating system.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 22, 2005

  3. Astra

    Astra Guest

    Thanks for the info.