how to use Dispatch to open an application in win32com.client

vithi

Hi'
I am trying to launch an application. When I try like that
When I try like that Excel is opening
import win32com.client
object = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
object.Visible = 1

But when I try my application which is QeepIt.exe
which is in the c:\ drive it is not running
Any body tell me how to give path to open an exectable application in
Dispatch modules
I try like that
object = win32com.client.Dispatch("c:\Folder\QeepIt.exe")
It give an error.

Gabriel Genellina

I am trying to launch an application. When I try like that
When I try like that Excel is opening
import win32com.client
object = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
object.Visible = 1

But when I try my application which is QeepIt.exe
which is in the c:\ drive it is not running
Any body tell me how to give path to open an exectable application in
Dispatch modules
I try like that
object = win32com.client.Dispatch("c:\Folder\QeepIt.exe")
It give an error.

The above code is used to launch a COM server registered under the name
"Excel.Application" and then control it. If you don't know what a COM
server is, surely your application can't be used this way.

For launching another program, perhaps sending it some text, and capturing
its output, look at the subprocess module. If you are only interested in
executing it, with no additional communication, os.system() may be enough.

Gabriel Genellina

[...]

Since I haven't see any help or tutorial on com there is a application
is installed in the server I am login to the server then what code do
I have to implement to launch the application registered in a server.
how do I write a code to tell my computer to go in to the perticular
server and launch program "XYZ "

do you think this code alone enough to go and look for xyz
application in the server, I don't get it
Give me any sample code or more help. It help me a lot.
object = win32com.client.Dispatch("xyz.Application")

Gabriel Genellina

Hi
Since I haven't see any help or tutorial on com there is a application
is installed in the server I am login to the server then what code do
I have to implement to launch the application registered in a server.
how do I write a code to tell my computer to go in to the perticular
server and launch program "XYZ "

Try to explain a bit better what do you want to do.
What is "the server"?
Do you want to open and execute a program on "another" computer?
Or is it on the "same" computer?
do you think this code alone enough to go and look for xyz
application in the server, I don't get it
Give me any sample code or more help. It help me a lot.
object = win32com.client.Dispatch("xyz.Application")

Does the manual for "xyz" say that it is a COM application?
Did someone told you that "xyz" works that way?
Did you find "xyz" actually registered as a COM application?
If not, forget about that line, won't work at all.