How to use EUC-JP charcter set in the overlib?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by y-w, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. y-w

    y-w Guest

    Hello !

    I would like to use Japanese messages in the pop up that is shown
    whenever you use the overlib for the javascript.

    I assume that javascript that is used to show this pop up uses UTF-8
    for the internal execution

    The Japanese messages which I use is EUC-JP.

    I would like to know where should I modify the source code in order
    to implement this.
    Do I need to add a special tag?

    It would be a great help if I could get an advice with this.

    Thank you!

    y-w, Jan 4, 2008

  2. y-w

    RobG Guest

    On Jan 4, 10:07 am, y-w <> wrote:
    >  Hello !
    >
    >  I would like to use Japanese messages in the pop up that is shown
    >  whenever  you use the overlib for the javascript.

    Do not use overlib.js, it is truly awful stuff. The author seems to
    think that only global variables need to be declared (and declares
    over 100 of them), seems unaware that local variables exist, uses
    browser detection and statements like:

    ...if (eval('o3_frame.'+docRoot)&&eval("typeof o3_frame."+docRoot...

    that should scare you way for good.

    >  I assume that javascript that is used to show this pop up uses UTF-8
    >  for the internal execution

    Javascript it not the issue, it will simply insert whatever you tell
    it to.

    >  The Japanese messages which I use is EUC-JP.
    >
    >  I would like to know where should I modify the source code in order
    > to implement this.
    > Do I need to add a special tag?

    I think you should ask that in a forum dedicated to overlib.

    --
    Rob

    RobG, Jan 4, 2008

  3. y-w wrote:
    > I would like to use Japanese messages in the pop up that is shown
    > whenever you use the overlib for the javascript.
    >
    > I assume that javascript that is used to show this pop up uses UTF-8
    > for the internal execution

    That is highly unlikely, given the lack of minimum clue of overlib's author
    and the fact that ECMAScript implementations use UTF-16LE internally.

    > The Japanese messages which I use is EUC-JP.

    That should not matter as long as both script resource and HTML document
    resource are encoded so.

    > I would like to know where should I modify the source code in order
    > to implement this.

    You should use the matching encoding, and declare it in the Content-Type
    header of both resources.

    > Do I need to add a special tag?

    No.

    PointedEars