How to use HTTP protocol to get documents ?

fniles

I need to send a request using HTTP Protocol and it will return to me some
replies, which can be an XML or HTML file. In ASP, how can I GET/POST
documents using the HTTP protocol ?
Thank you.

Anthony Jones

fniles said:
I need to send a request using HTTP Protocol and it will return to me some
replies, which can be an XML or HTML file. In ASP, how can I GET/POST
documents using the HTTP protocol ?

Function GetText(sURL)

Dim oXHR : Set oXHR = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP.3.0")
oXHR.open "GET", sURL, False
oXHR.send
If oXHR.status = 200 Then
GetText = oXHR.responseText
Else
GetText = Null
' Or if you prefer throw an error here
End If

End Function

This simply returns a string containing the response from the server.

You could create a similar GetXML function that an XML DOM. By changing
responseText to responseXML. It will only do so if the server responds with
a content type header indicating xml.

Function PostText(sURL, vntData, sContentType)

Dim oXHR : Set oXHR = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP.3.0")
oXHR.open "POST", sURL, False
If Not IsNull(sContentType) Then oXHR.setRequestHeader "ContentType",
sContentType
oXHR.send vntData
If oXHR.status = 200 Then
PostText= oXHR.responseText
Else
PostText= Null
' Or if you prefer throw an error here
End If

End Function

Again you can mod to create a PostXML version.

fniles

Thank you.
The MSXML2 only works with XML file, right ?
How about if I need to get other file other than XML file ?

Thanks

Anthony Jones

fniles said:
Thank you.
The MSXML2 only works with XML file, right ?
How about if I need to get other file other than XML file ?

No it will fetch any type of file.

Use responseText to retrieve a text based resource such as html.

Use responseBody to get an array of bytes to get a binary resource.

Use responseStream to get an implementation of IStream to pull large
resources

XMLHTTP only gets XML when 1) the response type is XML and it will build a
XML DOM which it exposes as responseXML and 2) when posting you supply an
XML DOM to the send method in which case it automatically adds the text/xml
content type and streams the xml from the DOM.