How to use JSF to dynamically/programatically create web pages?

Jan van Mansum

Hello group,

I am new to JSF and I am wondering if it is the technology that I
should use. Here is what I am trying to do.

I need to generate web pages completely dynamically. I cannot use any
JSP or templates or things like that. I need to be able to just create
a object model on the server side (say, in a servlet), build it up,
react to its events, etc, and then have the framework encode it to HTML
and JavaScript. I also need to be able to use AJAX. The servlet will be
talking to a remote server via a proprietary protocol. The remote
server sends descriptions of the pages to display (type of object,
bounds, text colour, background colour, etc). The servlet should
convert those descriptions to HTML and send events that come from the
browser back to the server.

Does it make any sense to use JSF for this? Can somebody give me some
pointers into the API? How would I go about implementing a servlet like
this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Jan van Mansum.

hiwa

Jan said:
[...]

Yes, JSF and Ajax4jsf library could do that.
The servlet should
convert those descriptions to HTML
and send events that come from the
browser back to the server.
The process scenario might be:
1)JSF interacts with backing beans, a.k.a. managed beans running on the
server==JSF aware Java Web server like Tomcat.
2)Those backing beans interact with the remore proprietary server
including JSF event handling.

Read books on JSF development from major publishers.