how to use large memory with gcc in AIX of IBM P650

fan

Now, I am compile c program with gcc3.3.2 in AIX of IBM p650. The gcc
compiler cannot alloc the memory more than 256M. How can I alloc more
memory.

Keith Thompson

Now, I am compile c program with gcc3.3.2 in AIX of IBM p650. The gcc
compiler cannot alloc the memory more than 256M. How can I alloc more
memory.

That's not really a C question (or rather, it's not a question that
really has a C answer). Try comp.unix.programming.

You might also try rephrasing your question to make it clear whether
it's gcc or your program is trying to allocate more than 256M.

Malcolm

fan said:
Now, I am compile c program with gcc3.3.2 in AIX of IBM p650.
The gcc compiler cannot alloc the memory more than 256M. How can
I alloc more memory.
This is a limitation built into your compiler. The real answer is to get a
different compiler.
It may be possible to write functions bigmalloc() and bigfree() in assembly
langauge to do what you want, but I suspect it won't be easy - the 256MB
limit will be there for a reason.
Anyway, 256 MB should be enough for anyone.

Joe Wright

Malcolm said:
This is a limitation built into your compiler. The real answer is to get a
different compiler.
It may be possible to write functions bigmalloc() and bigfree() in assembly
langauge to do what you want, but I suspect it won't be easy - the 256MB
limit will be there for a reason.
Anyway, 256 MB should be enough for anyone.

Twenty years ago 640 KB was enough for anyone. :)

carl mcguire

Malcolm said:
This is a limitation built into your compiler. The real answer is to get a
different compiler.
It may be possible to write functions bigmalloc() and bigfree() in assembly
langauge to do what you want, but I suspect it won't be easy - the 256MB
limit will be there for a reason.
Anyway, 256 MB should be enough for anyone.

Actually it isn't a limitation of the compiler as such, it's the OS and
can be solved with a different compiler with the correct flags available
OR an environment variable depending on the version of AIX. That's the
problem with answering OT questions in clc with nonsense about assembly
langauge, instead of just redirecting them.

The OP should run along to comp.unix.aix and could do worse that
Googling for "maxdata" and/or "LDR_CNTRL".