How to use string values? I really need help for this. Thanks.

Miguel Dias Moura

Hello,

I am working on an ASP.NET/VB web site with Microsoft SQL 2000 database.

I have a page with a search form where keywords are submitted.
Consider I write the the keywords 'asp' and 'book'. The results page is
called as follows: results.aspx?search=asp%20book

Then I use this script in results.aspx to put the keywords in a string:

Sub Page_Load(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs)
Dim keywords() As String =
Request.QueryString("search").Split(CChar(""))
End Sub

My table is set for FULL TEXT SEARCH.
Consider the SQL when I look for records containing 'asp' and 'book':

SELECT *
FROM dbo.documents
WHERE CONTAINS (*, 'ASP or BOOK')

This SQL looks only for these words. What I need is to look for records
that contain the Keywords included in the string keywords().

Can you tell me how to access the string values in the SQL and use it?

Thank You,
Miguel

Leo

How about:

dim key as string = request.querystring("search").replace(" ", " or ")
this should turn the "asp book" into asp or book"
then
dim strSQL as string=string.format("SELECT * FROM dbo.documents WHERE
CONTAINS(*, '{0}), key)