    think that it will matter for this newbie project.

    Many thanks for all of your pointers!

    Todd

    Todd Gardner, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Todd Gardner

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Todd Gardner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I think all I have to do is figure out how to use the outp(...)
    > command.

    Python itself does not have such a command. Is there something in standard
    lib?

    > This is my first project in python and it seems a bit daunting. I am
    > trying to communicate to a custom device via the parallel port. At
    > this point I only want to write data to the data port. In my case the
    > memory address is x378.

    Python itself is, generally, unaware of 'memory addresses'.

    > I installed: Python 2.2, giveio_setup.exe and
    > pyparallel-0.1.win32-py2.2.exe. I was running Python2.3 but I don't
    > think that it will matter for this newbie project.

    Perhaps giveio... and pyparallel... (which I don't remember any clp mention
    of before today) have outp() and one of the docs will tell you more about
    how to use it.

    TJR

    Terry Reedy, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    "Terry Reedy" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Todd Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > > I think all I have to do is figure out how to use the outp(...)
    > > command.

    > Python itself does not have such a command. Is there something in standard
    > lib?

    See the following module. I believe there is an outp() command like
    in C if you use this module.

    From: Gandalf ()
    Subject: Re: Writing to the parallel port (Mem 0x378) when runnning
    WinXP or
    > http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/pyparallel.html

    > > This is my first project in python and it seems a bit daunting. I am
    > > trying to communicate to a custom device via the parallel port. At
    > > this point I only want to write data to the data port. In my case the
    > > memory address is x378.

    > Python itself is, generally, unaware of 'memory addresses'.
    >
    > > I installed: Python 2.2, giveio_setup.exe and
    > > pyparallel-0.1.win32-py2.2.exe. I was running Python2.3 but I don't
    > > think that it will matter for this newbie project.

    > Perhaps giveio... and pyparallel... (which I don't remember any clp mention
    > of before today) have outp() and one of the docs will tell you more about
    > how to use it.
    >
    > TJR

    I have not yet found docs that tell me how to use the functions
    however, I am still betting the modules have them.

    Todd

    Todd Gardner, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    IT WORKS with version 2.2. ! Thank you Chris! I am not sure how I
    can use version 2.3.

    The code that I need to try it out was this... And I found it of all
    places, in the docs... go figure :)
    import parallel
    p = parallel.Parallel() #open LPT1
    p.setData(0x55)