how to use the select name to show in the internal workgroup/domai

yezanxiong

Hello everyone,

I had a program on my web server, that is http://computer1/Test/test1.aspx,
actually computer1 is the web server name, because this is a internal program
inside the domain/workgroup, I would like to know, in order to be easy to
access this link, I would like to just type in http://internalweb1 so that is
link can actually display the page for http://computer1/Test/test1.aspx , is
that a good way to do this issue? Is that any setting in the code we can do
that? By the way, the code for test1.aspx is C#..

Thanks.

Yezanxiong

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

The way it works is that a user types in a host name in his address bar,
i.e. http://internalweb1. The computer, not knowing anything about names
and only wanting to deal with IP addresses, looks for ways of converting
that name into an IP address so that it knows where to go. First, it'll
look to its hosts file, which is commonly in %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\.
If it doesn't find this host name there, it moves onto its name resolution
servers, such as WINS servers and DNS servers. If it finds an answer from
one of them, it then goes to that IP address. So, if you have
"internalweb1" defined in your WINS server as 192.168.1.39, the requesting
computer will know to go to that IP address. From that point, it is up to
IIS to say, "Hey, someone's requestiong http://internalweb1 at IP address
192.168.1.39. I have a site defined at that IP, so let me send the default
page in the root of the site." That default page can redirect to
http://computer1/test/test1.aspx, but there isn't really any reason for it
to do that.

Assuming that your server is in fact a server and not a desktop OS such as
Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro, you can setup a new site in IIS that will
respond to requests made either uniquely to that IP or to that "host header"
or internalweb1. For help with such procedures, please visit
microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.

Ray at home