    that? By the way, the code for test1.aspx is C#..

    Thanks.

    Yezanxiong
    yezanxiong, Jul 12, 2005

  2. The way it works is that a user types in a host name in his address bar,
    i.e. http://internalweb1. The computer, not knowing anything about names
    and only wanting to deal with IP addresses, looks for ways of converting
    that name into an IP address so that it knows where to go. First, it'll
    look to its hosts file, which is commonly in %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\.
    If it doesn't find this host name there, it moves onto its name resolution
    servers, such as WINS servers and DNS servers. If it finds an answer from
    one of them, it then goes to that IP address. So, if you have
    "internalweb1" defined in your WINS server as 192.168.1.39, the requesting
    computer will know to go to that IP address. From that point, it is up to
    IIS to say, "Hey, someone's requestiong http://internalweb1 at IP address
    192.168.1.39. I have a site defined at that IP, so let me send the default
    page in the root of the site." That default page can redirect to
    http://computer1/test/test1.aspx, but there isn't really any reason for it
    to do that.

    Assuming that your server is in fact a server and not a desktop OS such as
    Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro, you can setup a new site in IIS that will
    respond to requests made either uniquely to that IP or to that "host header"
    or internalweb1. For help with such procedures, please visit
    microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jul 13, 2005

  3. yezanxiong

    yezanxiong Guest

    Re: how to use the select name to show in the internal workgroup/d

    That sounds reasonable, I will work with my network guy to figure out.
    Thanks.

    yezanxiong, Jul 14, 2005