How to use Windows Installer and execute the application using IIS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JB, Jul 27, 2010.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    Hello Community

    I have an ASP.Net application that uses C# and SqlServer running on
    Server 2003. I have IIS installed on my machine. I downloaded Windows
    Installer 3.1 and created a Web Setup Project. I created the Primary Output
    and the Content files but when I right click the Web Setup Project and click
    "Properties" I get "Property Pages" instead of "properties". Also I don't
    see any "msi" file that got created after creating the Web Setup Project. I
    never got the option to create debug or release mode neither so those folders
    are empty just as the bin folder is empty.

    I am under the impression that the Windows installer will create a file
    and that I can copy that file to a virtual directory, then the path to that
    virtual directory can be used as a url for the user to run the application
    from.

    So my questions are:

    -Why did I get "property pages" instead of "properties " dialogue box after
    running Windows Installer and if I need the "properties" dialog box what do
    I have to do to make it appear?

    -What point does the "msi" file get created and what directory will it be
    created in
    and what do I do with the "msi" file after Windows Installer creates it?

    -Do I need to create debug or release mode and does anything go in the bin
    folder?

    -After all of this is done, do I create another virtual directory and what
    will the url
    look like?

    thanks
    jeff