how to user GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

Samuel

Hi Guys,

I need to install the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls on a
new server. I have done all the steps to build the
controls, created the requested folder, then placed
the .dll and image files over there, but I can't use the
controls.
Whenever I issue the gacutil -l
Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols command, I get this a result:

Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.
Version 1.1.4322.573
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights
reserved.

The Global Assembly Cache contains the following
assemblies:

The cache of ngen files contains the following entries:

Number of items = 0

What do I need to perform in order to manualy install the
webcontrols ?
I don't have the MSI installer... and my server has the
1.1 framework.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

MSFT

Hi Samuel,

To install Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, you may follow these process:

To build the IE Web Controls:

1. Make sure you have installed the .NET Framework SDK v1.0 or v1.1
2. Run Build.bat, which will create a build folder in this directory.
The build folder contains Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll and a
Runtime directory of supporting files.

To run the IE Web Controls:

1. Copy the contents of the Runtime directory to the webctrl_client\1_0
directory under your top-level site directory. For example, if your
site root is c:\Inetpub\wwwroot, type this at the command prompt:

xcopy /s /i .\build\Runtime c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\webctrl_client\1_0 /y

This will create the following directory structure under the site:

/webctrl_client/1_0
MultiPage.htc
TabStrip.htc
toolbar.htc
treeview.htc
webservice.htc
webserviced.htc
[images]
[treeimages]

2. Create a new web application in IIS and copy the contents of the
samples directory to this application directory. For example:

xcopy /s /i .\samples c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\sampleapp /y

3. Create a /bin subdirectory for the application and copy the file
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll to this directory.

The contents of the application will be as follows:

/sampleapp
multipage.aspx
state_city.xml
tabstrip.aspx
toolbar.aspx
treeview.aspx
treeview_bound.aspx
/bin
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll

4. Request the sample pages from your Internet Explorer web browser, for
example: http://localhost/sampleapp/multipage.aspx

For additional documentation and samples visit:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/webcontrols/webc
ontrols_entry.asp

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Samuel

Luke,

Thank you, but what you sent me is the same procedure we
found with the installer - what is not working for us.

What would be helpful is the manual procedure to install
the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls. Whenever we run the
GACUTIL -l Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls we get "no
entries" as a result - what means that the dll wasn't
installed successfully.

I appreciate if you can find the correct parameters we
need to send to the GACUTIL utility.

Thanks in advance,

Sam
[...]

.

MSFT

Hi Sam,

GACUTIL is used for installing an assembly to GAC. And the Assembly must
have a strong name first. Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll doesn't have a
strong name by default and we can't add it to GAC. Additionally, to use
the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, we don't need to add it to GAC.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

msdn.sam

Luke,

I'm sorry but your answer does not provide what I need.
There is something wrong with the installation procedure
you sent me (actualy, it is the same that comes with
the "product") - and it didn't work for us here.

By any chance, do you have other ideas on how to make the
WEBCONTROLS visible/accessible to the application ?
On my PC it is working fine...

Thanks in advance,

Sam
GACUTIL is used for installing an assembly to GAC. And the Assembly must
have a strong name first.
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll doesn't have a

MSFT

Hi Sam,

What is the error when you use a treeview control on the special web server
which failed to install webcontrols? Maybe we can get some clue from the
error message.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Sam

Hi Luke.

Lets address this a little bit differently.
When using the samples, everything works properly, but
when I upload an application that was written using the
webcontrols, it does not.

The following output was taken from the uploaded
application, when running on the production server.
Again, when I run this from my XP desktop it does not
produce any error.

My understanding is that I can develop an application and
just FTP it to the server... but it looks like I need to
tweak it a little bit. I don't know what its missing.
Could you help me with that?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Server Error in '/E21TECHDOC' Application.
----------------------

Parser Error
resource required to service this request. Please review
the following specific parse error details and modify
your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: File or assembly name
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, or one of its dependencies,
was not found.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ import
namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" %>
Line 2: <%@ Register TagPrefix="iewc"
Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>
Line 3: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
Codebehind="de_Mdl_Lstng.aspx.vb"
Inherits="DataEntry1.Mdl_Lstng"%>
Line 4: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">

Source File:
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\applications\E21TechDoc\de_mdl_lstng.as
px Line: 2

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be
helpful to determine why the
assembly 'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' could not be
loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase =
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
(C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
\aspnet.config).
LOG: Using machine configuration file from
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
ry ASP.NET
Files/e21techdoc/0095ad8f/b22b1812/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebCon
trols.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
ry ASP.NET
Files/e21techdoc/0095ad8f/b22b1812/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebCon
trols/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc/bin/Mic
rosoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc/bin/Mic
rosoft.Web.UI.WebControls/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL
..
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
ry ASP.NET
Files/e21techdoc/0095ad8f/b22b1812/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebCon
trols.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
ry ASP.NET
Files/e21techdoc/0095ad8f/b22b1812/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebCon
trols/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc/bin/Mic
rosoft.Web.UI.WebControls.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc/bin/Mic
rosoft.Web.UI.WebControls/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.EXE
..

MSFT

Is the file "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll " in the BIN folder of the
web application?

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Sam

Luke,

No the "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll" file is not in
the BIN folder, but I made a reference to it (pointing to
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\webctrl_client\1_0
\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll) so this wouldn't be a
problem.

The problem looks like being on the very first part of
the HTML code, as it is the line that comes in RED when
IIS tries to execute the page with the webcontrols:

<%@ Register TagPrefix="iewc"
Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>

the following code is the one I have running on the
development machine - and runs w/o problems:

<%@ Register TagPrefix="iewc"
Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>

as you can see, they are identical - but in my machine
the code runs - while on the PRODUCTION server it comes
back with the error we're strugling with.

The error message we get from the production server is
below (between the ***s):

I realy don't understand what's going on... please help
us.

***********************
Source File:
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ProcDoc\ProcDoc\DataEntry\DataEntry1_2
[...]

Files/e21dataentry/f243f91e/6a947565/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebC
ontrols.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
ry ASP.NET
Files/e21dataentry/f243f91e/6a947565/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebC
ontrols/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/ProcDoc/ProcDoc/DataEntry/DataE
ntry1_2/bin/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the
mismatch: PUBLIC KEY TOKEN

----------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

***********************

Sam

Luke,

after my last message I did the following changes:
1) I copied the "Microsoft.Web.UI.Webcontrols.dll" file
from the other folder to the BIN folder of this site.
2) I removed the reference to the file from the other
directory and then created a new one pointng to the .dll
file in the Bin folder.

The following error message came back from the same page
with the webcontrols (lines between ****). The error is
on the line 2 (red font)

Parser Error
resource required to service this request. Please review
the following specific parse error details and modify
your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The located assembly's manifest
definition with name 'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' does
not match the assembly reference.

[...]

So now, I have moved the file to the place you suggested -
but still having the same problem. Please advise,

Thanks in advance,

Sam

MSFT

HI Sam,

Can you explain more on the second step:

2) I removed the reference to the file from the other directory and then
created a new one pointng to the .dll file in the Bin folder.

How did you perform it? I think it is unnexessary for the problem.
Normally, the assembly will locate its run folder for references file.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Sam

I basicaly performed the following steps:
1) opened the project
2) went to the solution explorer window
3) opened the 'references' folder
3.1) there was an item 'Microsoft.WEB.UI.WebControls'
3.2) selected it and removed it from the project
4) opened a Windows Explorer
4.1) navigated to the folder where I have the webcontrols
samples working
4.2) pasted the 'Microsoft.WEB.UI.WebControls' file
4.3) navigated to this project folder
4.4) went to the BIN subfolder
4.5) copied the (pasted) file above into it.
5) run the application
6) Made a copy of the problems and submitted to you.

Is there any way you can scale this request to someone
else? The basic problem here is:
a) my machine (development) has the same configuration as
far as software installed (.net)
b) both machines have the
same 'Microsoft.WEB.UI.WebControls' files
c) when I copy the application (that's running on my
machine) to the production one, the outcome of operation
is not working. I mean, just by copying all files in the
application is not making it work.

If you follow the last message I sent you, I put the
beginning of the page with the problem.. by looking at
it, you would be able to understand what's going on... If
we see that I opened the case about a month ago... it is
realy sad that you can't provide me a route to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

MSFT

Hi Sam,

I think it is not necessary to remove the reference
"Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" from the list. We only need to set its "Copy
Local" to True and it will access the "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL" in
the BIN folder at runtime. I think you first need to confirm the
"Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll" is in the BIN folder and its version is
1.0.2.226.