how to user GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Samuel, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Samuel

    Samuel Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I need to install the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls on a
    new server. I have done all the steps to build the
    controls, created the requested folder, then placed
    the .dll and image files over there, but I can't use the
    controls.
    Whenever I issue the gacutil -l
    Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols command, I get this a result:

    Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.
    Version 1.1.4322.573
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights
    reserved.

    The Global Assembly Cache contains the following
    assemblies:

    The cache of ngen files contains the following entries:

    Number of items = 0

    What do I need to perform in order to manualy install the
    webcontrols ?
    I don't have the MSI installer... and my server has the
    1.1 framework.

    Thanks in advance,

    Sam
    Samuel, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Samuel

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Samuel,

    To install Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, you may follow these process:

    To build the IE Web Controls:

    1. Make sure you have installed the .NET Framework SDK v1.0 or v1.1
    2. Run Build.bat, which will create a build folder in this directory.
    The build folder contains Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll and a
    Runtime directory of supporting files.

    To run the IE Web Controls:

    1. Copy the contents of the Runtime directory to the webctrl_client\1_0
    directory under your top-level site directory. For example, if your
    site root is c:\Inetpub\wwwroot, type this at the command prompt:

    xcopy /s /i .\build\Runtime c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\webctrl_client\1_0 /y

    This will create the following directory structure under the site:

    /webctrl_client/1_0
    MultiPage.htc
    TabStrip.htc
    toolbar.htc
    treeview.htc
    webservice.htc
    webserviced.htc
    [images]
    [treeimages]

    2. Create a new web application in IIS and copy the contents of the
    samples directory to this application directory. For example:

    xcopy /s /i .\samples c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\sampleapp /y

    3. Create a /bin subdirectory for the application and copy the file
    Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll to this directory.

    The contents of the application will be as follows:

    /sampleapp
    multipage.aspx
    state_city.xml
    tabstrip.aspx
    toolbar.aspx
    treeview.aspx
    treeview_bound.aspx
    /bin
    Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll

    4. Request the sample pages from your Internet Explorer web browser, for
    example: http://localhost/sampleapp/multipage.aspx

    For additional documentation and samples visit:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/webcontrols/webc
    ontrols_entry.asp

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    MSFT, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Samuel

    Samuel Guest

    Luke,

    Thank you, but what you sent me is the same procedure we
    found with the installer - what is not working for us.

    What would be helpful is the manual procedure to install
    the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls. Whenever we run the
    GACUTIL -l Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls we get "no
    entries" as a result - what means that the dll wasn't
    installed successfully.

    I appreciate if you can find the correct parameters we
    need to send to the GACUTIL utility.

    Thanks in advance,

    Sam

    and confers no

    Samuel, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Samuel

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Sam,

    GACUTIL is used for installing an assembly to GAC. And the Assembly must
    have a strong name first. Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll doesn't have a
    strong name by default and we can't add it to GAC. Additionally, to use
    the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, we don't need to add it to GAC.

    MSFT, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Samuel

    Guest

    RE: how to use GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

    Luke,

    I'm sorry but your answer does not provide what I need.
    There is something wrong with the installation procedure
    you sent me (actualy, it is the same that comes with
    the "product") - and it didn't work for us here.

    By any chance, do you have other ideas on how to make the
    WEBCONTROLS visible/accessible to the application ?
    On my PC it is working fine...

    Thanks in advance,

    Sam

    , Dec 4, 2003
  6. Samuel

    MSFT Guest

    RE: how to use GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

    Hi Sam,

    What is the error when you use a treeview control on the special web server
    which failed to install webcontrols? Maybe we can get some clue from the
    error message.

    MSFT, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Samuel

    Sam Guest

    RE: how to use GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

    Hi Luke.

    Lets address this a little bit differently.
    When using the samples, everything works properly, but
    when I upload an application that was written using the
    webcontrols, it does not.

    The following output was taken from the uploaded
    application, when running on the production server.
    Again, when I run this from my XP desktop it does not
    produce any error.

    My understanding is that I can develop an application and
    just FTP it to the server... but it looks like I need to
    tweak it a little bit. I don't know what its missing.
    Could you help me with that?

    Thanks in advance,

    Sam

    Server Error in '/E21TECHDOC' Application.
    ----------------------

    Parser Error
    resource required to service this request. Please review
    the following specific parse error details and modify
    your source file appropriately.

    Parser Error Message: File or assembly name
    Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, or one of its dependencies,
    was not found.

    Source Error:

    Line 1: <%@ import
    namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" %>
    Line 2: <%@ Register TagPrefix="iewc"
    Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
    Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
    Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>
    Line 3: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
    Codebehind="de_Mdl_Lstng.aspx.vb"
    Inherits="DataEntry1.Mdl_Lstng"%>
    Line 4: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
    Transitional//EN">

    Source File:
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\applications\E21TechDoc\de_mdl_lstng.as
    px Line: 2

    Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be
    helpful to determine why the
    assembly 'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' could not be
    loaded.

    === Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
    Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
    (Fully-specified)
    LOG: Appbase =
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
    Calling assembly : (Unknown).
    ===

    LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
    LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
    (C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
    \aspnet.config).
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
    \config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
    Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
    ry ASP.NET
    Files/e21techdoc/0095ad8f/b22b1812/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebCon
    trols.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
    ry ASP.NET
    Files/e21techdoc/0095ad8f/b22b1812/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebCon
    trols/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc/bin/Mic
    rosoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc/bin/Mic
    rosoft.Web.UI.WebControls/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL
    ..
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
    ry ASP.NET
    Files/e21techdoc/0095ad8f/b22b1812/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebCon
    trols.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
    ry ASP.NET
    Files/e21techdoc/0095ad8f/b22b1812/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebCon
    trols/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc/bin/Mic
    rosoft.Web.UI.WebControls.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/applications/E21TechDoc/bin/Mic
    rosoft.Web.UI.WebControls/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.EXE
    ..

    ----------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573
    Sam, Dec 15, 2003
  8. Samuel

    MSFT Guest

    RE: how to use GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

    Is the file "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll " in the BIN folder of the
    web application?

    MSFT, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Samuel

    Sam Guest

    RE: how to use GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

    Luke,

    No the "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll" file is not in
    the BIN folder, but I made a reference to it (pointing to
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\webctrl_client\1_0
    \Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll) so this wouldn't be a
    problem.

    The problem looks like being on the very first part of
    the HTML code, as it is the line that comes in RED when
    IIS tries to execute the page with the webcontrols:

    <%@ Register TagPrefix="iewc"
    Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
    Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
    Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>

    the following code is the one I have running on the
    development machine - and runs w/o problems:

    <%@ Register TagPrefix="iewc"
    Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
    Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls,
    Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>

    as you can see, they are identical - but in my machine
    the code runs - while on the PRODUCTION server it comes
    back with the error we're strugling with.

    The error message we get from the production server is
    below (between the ***s):

    I realy don't understand what's going on... please help
    us.

    ***********************
    Source File:
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ProcDoc\ProcDoc\DataEntry\DataEntry1_2
[...]

    Files/e21dataentry/f243f91e/6a947565/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebC
    ontrols.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
    ry ASP.NET
    Files/e21dataentry/f243f91e/6a947565/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebC
    ontrols/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/ProcDoc/ProcDoc/DataEntry/DataE
    ntry1_2/bin/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
    WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the
    mismatch: PUBLIC KEY TOKEN

    ----------------------

    Sam, Dec 17, 2003
  10. Samuel

    Sam Guest

    RE: how to use GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

    Luke,

    after my last message I did the following changes:
    1) I copied the "Microsoft.Web.UI.Webcontrols.dll" file
    from the other folder to the BIN folder of this site.
    2) I removed the reference to the file from the other
    directory and then created a new one pointng to the .dll
    file in the Bin folder.

    The following error message came back from the same page
    with the webcontrols (lines between ****). The error is
    on the line 2 (red font)

    Parser Error
    resource required to service this request. Please review
    the following specific parse error details and modify
    your source file appropriately.

    Parser Error Message: The located assembly's manifest
    definition with name 'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' does
    not match the assembly reference.

[...]

    So now, I have moved the file to the place you suggested -
    but still having the same problem. Please advise,

    Thanks in advance,

    Sam

    Sam, Dec 17, 2003
  11. Samuel

    MSFT Guest

    RE: how to use GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

    HI Sam,

    Can you explain more on the second step:

    2) I removed the reference to the file from the other directory and then
    created a new one pointng to the .dll file in the Bin folder.

    How did you perform it? I think it is unnexessary for the problem.
    Normally, the assembly will locate its run folder for references file.

    MSFT, Dec 18, 2003
  12. Samuel

    Sam Guest

    RE: how to use GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

    I basicaly performed the following steps:
    1) opened the project
    2) went to the solution explorer window
    3) opened the 'references' folder
    3.1) there was an item 'Microsoft.WEB.UI.WebControls'
    3.2) selected it and removed it from the project
    4) opened a Windows Explorer
    4.1) navigated to the folder where I have the webcontrols
    samples working
    4.2) pasted the 'Microsoft.WEB.UI.WebControls' file
    4.3) navigated to this project folder
    4.4) went to the BIN subfolder
    4.5) copied the (pasted) file above into it.
    5) run the application
    6) Made a copy of the problems and submitted to you.

    Is there any way you can scale this request to someone
    else? The basic problem here is:
    a) my machine (development) has the same configuration as
    far as software installed (.net)
    b) both machines have the
    same 'Microsoft.WEB.UI.WebControls' files
    c) when I copy the application (that's running on my
    machine) to the production one, the outcome of operation
    is not working. I mean, just by copying all files in the
    application is not making it work.

    If you follow the last message I sent you, I put the
    beginning of the page with the problem.. by looking at
    it, you would be able to understand what's going on... If
    we see that I opened the case about a month ago... it is
    realy sad that you can't provide me a route to fix it.

    Thanks in advance,

    Sam

    Sam, Dec 22, 2003
  13. Samuel

    MSFT Guest

    RE: how to use GACUTIL -i to install the WEBCONTROLS ?

    Hi Sam,

    I think it is not necessary to remove the reference
    "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" from the list. We only need to set its "Copy
    Local" to True and it will access the "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL" in
    the BIN folder at runtime. I think you first need to confirm the
    "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll" is in the BIN folder and its version is
    1.0.2.226.

    MSFT, Dec 23, 2003