How to view the rdocs for gems?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Lloyd Zusman, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    What is the recommended method to view the rdocs for gems that
    I have installed? I know that I can go the directory under which a
    given gem lives and view the documentation that exists there, but I'm
    wondering if there is some other way to view these that doesn't
    require the user to know the exact installation directory of each gem.

    Ideally, I'd like the user to not even have to know that the docs
    pertain to a gem ... in other words, some sort of wrapper around
    "ri" that figures out whether a given package is a gem or not, and
    then uses the appropriate method to display the docs.

    I'm willing to write a script to hide the messy details of this, but I'd
    prefer not to re-invent the wheel, if something already exists.

    Ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Sep 7, 2005

  2. On 9/7/05, Lloyd Zusman <> wrote:
    > What is the recommended method to view the rdocs for gems that
    > I have installed? I know that I can go the directory under which a
    > given gem lives and view the documentation that exists there, but I'm
    > wondering if there is some other way to view these that doesn't
    > require the user to know the exact installation directory of each gem.

    gem_server

    Browse to that port on localhost. (usually http://127.0.0.1:3000/).

    -austin
    --=20
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Lloyd Zusman

    Ken Kunz Guest

    Actually, the default port for gem_server is 8808 (3000 is the default
    port for the Rails webrick-based development server).

    So try:
    http://localhost:8808

    Cheers,
    Ken

    Ken Kunz, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    Austin Ziegler Wrote:

    > On 9/7/05, Lloyd Zusman <> wrote:
    > > What is the recommended method to view the rdocs for gems that
    > > I have installed? I know that I can go the directory under which a
    > > given gem lives and view the documentation that exists there, but I'm
    > > wondering if there is some other way to view these that doesn't
    > > require the user to know the exact installation directory of each gem.

    > gem_server
    >
    > Browse to that port on localhost. (usually http://127.0.0.1:3000/).

    Thanks. That works fine, and it's quite helpful.

    Concerning the second part of my original query: has anyone already
    come up with a way to unify the viewing of the gem docs with "ri" or
    some other similar utility, so that a user doesn't need to know whether
    or not a package is a gem in order to see its docs?

    Thanks again.

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.