    Example code:

    ......................................................................................................................................................................................................

    , Jun 25, 2005

    Sorry, in my example code, the line of dot's should be continuous.

    , Jun 25, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > I have a line of text that is hundreds of characters long, and that I
    > need to display on a page.
    >
    > Because the line is continuous with no spaces, the browser won't wrap
    > the text. My goal is to have the text wrap according to the size of
    > the browser window.
    >
    > Anyone know how to do this?

    Add spaces or soft hypens (&shy;, but support is reported to be generally
    poor) to the text.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 25, 2005
  4. wrote:

    > I have a line of text that is hundreds of characters long, and that I
    > need to display on a page.

    > Because the line is continuous with no spaces, the browser won't wrap

    Okay, I'll bite: what kind of line is hundreds of unspaced characters
    long?

    --
    Blinky
    International Thank Your Developers Week - June 20-27, 2005

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 25, 2005

    If I simply add a space between each character it half's the amount of
    information I can display on screen at once.

    I want to maximize what is seen in the window, and that's why I want to
    keep the lines continuous and have them wrap within the browser.

    It sounds like there is basically no way to do this (?)

    , Jun 25, 2005

    Genome.

    , Jun 25, 2005

    Ah yes, soft hyphens work in Firefox, but not Safari it seems. Thanks
    for the half fix! ;-)

    , Jun 25, 2005
  8. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 25 Jun 2005 13:58:45 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >> Because the line is continuous with no spaces, the browser won't wrap

    >Okay, I'll bite: what kind of line is hundreds of unspaced characters
    >long?

    I can think of plenty - just not any that someone would really need to
    read.

    You can shove spaces in all over the place (maybe every character), then
    use CSS and word-spacing to make the spaces unnoticeable, but they'll
    still permit wrapping.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 25, 2005
  9. in alt.html, wrote:

    > Because the line is continuous with no spaces, the browser won't wrap
    > the text. My goal is to have the text wrap according to the size of
    > the browser window.
    >
    > Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

    CSS: white-space:pre-line;
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#white-space-prop

    For IE, word-wrap:break-word might work.

    Don't know much about support.

    And then there is of course <wbr>. More:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#suggest

    Utrecht, NL.
    Support me, buy Opera:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=882173

    Lauri Raittila, Jun 25, 2005
  10. Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On 25 Jun 2005 13:58:45 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Because the line is continuous with no spaces, the browser won't wrap

    >>Okay, I'll bite: what kind of line is hundreds of unspaced characters
    >>long?

    > I can think of plenty - just not any that someone would really need to
    > read.

    Okay, what are a couple?

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 25, 2005
  11. Lauri Raittila wrote:

    > in alt.html, wrote:
    >

    >>Because the line is continuous with no spaces, the browser won't wrap
    >>the text. My goal is to have the text wrap according to the size of
    >>the browser window.
    >>
    >>Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

    > CSS: white-space:pre-line;
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#white-space-prop
    >
    > For IE, word-wrap:break-word might work.
    >
    > Don't know much about support.
    >
    > And then there is of course <wbr>. More:
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#suggest

    Why not rethink it. Just pre-break it into a static reasonable character
    count, like 72 characters. Then with your presentation put it in a div
    styled to separated it from your main text and convey that the genome
    characters are one continuous block of code?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 25, 2005
  12. in alt.html, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    [following my post, instead OPs for some reason]

    > Why not rethink it. Just pre-break it into a static reasonable character
    > count, like 72 characters. Then with your presentation put it in a div
    > styled to separated it from your main text and convey that the genome
    > characters are one continuous block of code?

    I don't know how genome is to be used, but if it makes sence to copy
    part/whole of this long string of characters, having spaces here/there
    hurts copypasting.

    Kohtuuhintainen yksiö/huone haussa Oulusta syyskuusta eteenpäin.
    Searching places to sleep on axis Bonn - Tsech - Poland - baltic sea in
    july

    Lauri Raittila, Jun 25, 2005
  13. AF Guest

    On 25 Jun 2005 06:00:28 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >I have a line of text that is hundreds of characters long, and that I
    >need to display on a page.
    >
    >Because the line is continuous with no spaces, the browser won't wrap
    >the text. My goal is to have the text wrap according to the size of
    >the browser window.
    >
    >Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!
    >
    >Example code:

    >.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

    Do you have a php enabled web server?

    If so look into using php to break a long line into smaller strings.
    then display the strings one after another.

    If you need people to be able to access the data as one long line and
    then use it as such, give them a link to download text file with the
    long string in it.

    And if you don't want to go to any more work than necessary, as in
    typing and retype the string, put the string in a text file. Then
    look into the php include command to retrieve the line as data from
    the above text file, parse the line, ie break it up into smaller
    variables, display the variables and a link to down load the file.
    Then you have only typed the line in once.

    By the way, if you have many of these one liners to show on the web,
    and thus have many html pages to create, there are other ways php can
    help you. You can for example create one html file as a template for
    displaying a line, if that is what you want to do, and you can then
    use the php to in effect create a web page per line. It can also
    create links, and do many other things automatically. php saves a web
    master a lot of time whenever he or she has repetitious data to
    publish.

    If you are interested, just send me an email ,

    , taking out the appropriate letters, and give me some idea of what
    you are trying to do. I can give you a rough idea of the commands and
    logic you need to follow for no charge. I don't have the time to
    teach you php, but it is actually very simple to learn, especially
    considering how powerful it is.

    I say easy to learn. What I should say is that while there is a lot
    to php, a novice with little knowledge of a few commands, syntax, and
    logic can be very effective on the web. To be an expert takes a lot
    longer.

    Best regards,

    Al
    http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
    http://www.americanbestmortgages.com

    AF, Jun 25, 2005
  14. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 25 Jun 2005 17:32:12 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Okay, what are a couple?

    Any enormous data stream: genomics, crypto, source code, whatever you
    want.

    But it's a basic rule of communication that things that are difficult to
    read are particularly difficult to make use of. We don't need to read
    lines of more than 132 characters because we'd never remeber them, or
    transcribe them accurately if we did. If you expect your poor bloody
    user to actually _do_ something with these, then they need to be in
    smaller chunks - our savannah-dwelling, lion-dodging brains just don't
    "do" enormous text strings, unless you're Kim Peek.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 25, 2005
  15. AF Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:39:10 +0100, Andy Dingley
    <> wrote:

    >On 25 Jun 2005 17:32:12 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Okay, what are a couple?

    >Any enormous data stream: genomics, crypto, source code, whatever you
    >want.
    >
    >But it's a basic rule of communication that things that are difficult to
    >read are particularly difficult to make use of. We don't need to read
    >lines of more than 132 characters because we'd never remeber them, or
    >transcribe them accurately if we did. If you expect your poor bloody
    >user to actually _do_ something with these, then they need to be in
    >smaller chunks - our savannah-dwelling, lion-dodging brains just don't
    >"do" enormous text strings, unless you're Kim Peek.

    Below is a large chunk of data. Can you read it? Pleasescroll down
    to the end of the post.

    ---------------------------
    -----Beginning of DATA

    ÿØÿà JFIF

    ÿÛ C

     $.' ",#(7),01444'9=82<.342ÿÛ C

    2!!22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222ÿÀ  p –

    "

    ÿÄ

    ÿÄ 7

    !1AQa"q‘2?¡Áð#R±BC$b¢ÑáÿÄ

    ÿÄ %

    !1"A‘aq23QÿÚ

     ? Ï& â¦*šáTEÏz`“<Whâ1Ë?35aÝX
    Æ*¦y®±ô«ÁY
    ¬ÖÜf…ʘj’Þy?6
    Àã4Ù?ƒÏ&…,2ÞÑ
    ©" ži„c¨§®(Á%(3L)Í8¶G†Hª,ŒúW@4í¼Ó¸
    « 䉲i»I©²
    7v
    ^HsÉb:U»6ò_š‰%^ôýÊd¹6ôËAs*9riÒm`28ªñì sW
    B˜¬2Xz¶r6Ú¿)Å*ìp—ÎÚU[
    IÅ5sšxb§5
    n¥ŒRÎ
    Ž'üDø¨í´˜nb_*xØBphù?*zhWV×uk,Ýe}¬à{nlV5}ÇLÛ+yk°Ê¬ŠàŠ¸\ šQ’a]Ä;
    †a‚ ïÓ?µV¸“?
    hOžl¼^ Ð^?
    4ªŒ3ªp_áÈî.™wÒ7Úăú
    Aî5ø#b’ V÷uãîAý(ˆˆ2Žyª—C|M’TñÁ ýÅi?L54»@ïõk%¤g$ôòÀcöÿ
    äqùŠ¨÷–…ðomƒz@?­\k˜Le_ wv.Íô
    ùëP¾‹ê€ÆÑ‚0"uÏéòžŸLý)Q¿Ÿ´†J²K¼Ó.èSͱÿ
    â¸a”20>„b³÷žJÍ‚7RBù$îØU{MCZÓîUWU¸0ÉY_z
    ;ñN?ó~„ÊÅ/f¥]âã¥w—9'š¹f©«Ø›½¡UH
    4C( þáÉ_¨ÈúTRÚMm0IŒþÙ‡¨=ë\+F§]˜êQ”;è?”?Lç4Y´óðûúœUnÜœQ©!|Z3Þ(±ºÔ­
    [\–Wå3€Aïùcõ¬ÌZmÕ„ÆIL‘4xË!qŸ§Jôh v¹E
    <Ô:¥ºˆ¤B ±S??ç¥sîµ= Yx`£k†ÙÚ;ˆ?‰ a·Œ
    ­u…Þ›~¡7: Áb:ôèG½y?ÔíÁ?'
    `zàãó¢ñ^Ý\n;”ô9ÝÖ°Ô§?£¡JxÓ=ïÈ°ò’0v”ÝÎrNOsÖ„Ë ?ñQÁp×ú|3™
    í-qƒÇ¯Þ»ÒºV©|Q8×Ý/ÙÅ$R®74«F$…¤
    JžkRé‘P¥£‰9‰Âv€•9ñyˆxCj|Ì04J;8€íSKíȪŠÍ¿â…ÎU:&0t[âeeDfN‘È™ë?jµ¿ò)Ѥë(mÅ~™íL?ö¸&ˆ«Fê2g«?åôî*é
    /­ÕỸ?—)nÇ%˜žHtý†+9`Rw„
    ÉBœ`?™wœõÏjÙÜÛ«.W¯j‚-9ïQ£ŸæSŽHÉtÁö¤«eŒÁýšá}?M}?>æãB¹ŠïO?”IóI
    d¼‘Ðý=;סhZχ¼DÑÙÜn°º
    K,Œ¢&'8ÎzqùÖwPðœÓ[ÉðQ“´;Àêp@¼Œr?ÝXö’Î×T„ßFþH`Έ0äuÇÁížÜÕGšñc¥Â^q=[SÓî4æxÞ&;ã¨õ£Þšlì °3Ý\CnÈó/ù¡ÚWýCñš`¸:f•ym …bµ•˜H±Ž›Xç'äõ¡ú.§¨xƒÆSxƒT±[/-
    [@?ø{dƒÉã¿¢3ŸLÍ*tÛr_A“h–°,ˆTÉ('ž6®8üÏíY]ZÎêfY£e%C
    §§Lg§ó5¯»C!gs—<ÖCV‘¢Gv•ãQþáÎ)U%Ê[Nc£Ï5¦Že?Õ¿
    Xg¿?®j÷š¢ à
    Πǽ6úW¸•âf2G?Á²y=¸ªéÒL¶ñÆ|Ö;
    r´-ŽŠf·ÃÇL”î$Ž8è;ÑèaózÕ
    ?Nu¢Û#3ó3íßÔjÎ
    ±îÍo¥áM&rkÉN£h`°Í*´/1´œÒ©Ê~…¬Lȧީ3’ÜT&é™ðÂœäìÈëK?7Âo!H@h¹5À«óU8f‘S&¥k­ÑÐð’z&G”S †!Þª¦“Üoéê›öB+?ÀdÕè¦hÆäëB´øüé9­V?§$’®üb“U(¼ Šo¢æ“«Ãno|šËøª×Jט–„,Ã;e?†\÷÷üëÑ_E±’ÛiÛœVOPÒ`´—+øOj(ãhkù#Ó<Þ
    'TÒœ=´‚æ5É(IVaôéŸJÓi—3oŽâV!1€Œ
    ?{‚z+åÄzb™ðÉu"Û
    Éo¶i|S~#fõ ?)qAíÒ©^è6÷?J“m“!˜>ÞÙ¡q§ÈQƒü§3‘ûQ}JXõ
    eŠgŠB D§cJš\rÍ4Ûå„cÀZ?žµ ÌôðÞcH§!—Óß#Ö´/ qÈòí
    ßñ0'ÚŠi³Ü|µ¡V†0¡Û–8j)ž10ŽeÈ `ž¤z y$úž&?Ô!,=Ž­kR²ñx
    íf$ª“\ófŒäf?Â-@
    îêH#§
    sêI
    ©ê&Ãi?ÉÆ+¥Fâž"ŽU{YÐIɃR
    3N)Sãå¥Z°ÌÇ"‰%=*f¶!x¨Cª A¦É|@àýé3SÎƒÑ
    ¦£d!N*
    wæt«
    usSŒ¢Q—žµÆ
    i-È®6Oõù
    CKoêÖ–£85š´GEÝŒU´šMø'ŠÉZ<¥‘±xɪOÁŠ{¨<ß?é‡?S¹„íÈ4ºqYÙs“hâ\’À†È«°–ŽxîT9ü«=ôšeÓsZ»|êé»Ëoò
    ö"´ {§| ÜM/Ã>@áÄ…²3œœm
    ?É&Žm' áM½?몒j1ì‘A‘FzóéùŠ†þx ¶†Òý
    Œäþ6#¯µe5=Zèݪ5Õ¬1ÆO–èû™?9ÉãŽ?=¨]¾¥-˜B56˜“–ÌKóv
    'œU©éd/‰ïÍE‡‰4ئ%o§ñcŸ§Ö™õ[t’ûk?˻˘lvÈèGsׯ¥yâÚÚÝå…$,HÀy3?
    ?iþ6º¶°[K=.V‘@Ù±X?3’{óïŠËV+¸¥ô?”²´Ûûf¢W¸°•á’

    ãsœg¦Oo§B÷QŽVžB¡Ø $2}}*?Ï?/ÚŸPÓPÍ€“¤€
    ŽÍŸ¥:)µMCI2?†ä†ošåÃl
    û0äb?N´#(ãô"¥´å>NYý—~hœ¬ŠU½¥D4í/ý;NXßV…£$Bi¢Ú§•ùI
    “Å*5{q`;?Ió;zÔM!n¦ yHlyn}ñOF
    ÿ Ÿjß”cÁ29Z¹ iÎ ¦Ùyr
    º>Ãÿ ´acŠ£ÄsYêVIá-—Ä£å20QKX-¼—iƒ
    99DZÏθW®¬‘(1– 884‰NM“Ù1}ª6 ÊÃ!‡ ?j«4†1¹¶ªÿ s¹©—yF‰5&„
    ˜‹
    µ¡Â’EgZ;ËÝA¢Ôîå¼H·V"bw
    èyïÇ>T‡ôìbf`¥H;‚©[;ˆã§§4;LÔmÚÂ+[„¶ià|/œH
    ž™ÆyäóŽã‘S9ØÅN1ô+ýnî3<vNÇcdFÒ~CŸàª?¼¬òyï+®IfÈ
    ýzV¢ßàõkF³—É6øx¶6õàv=Èô Z­•ï‘#Ag¶Î1.@iç;¾§»RùzcTw +Khr˶8$¸ýóRÍ{µ"Š uP¾[?NqúPû&Gxe‡
    ¨ ’}³ëZ› ­U¸ž+òÚ€v?S°
    ?·4\[ì?àÏN&yö¢ü‡ ?âµÐìu ?.êâá
    `•H÷oç¢?ÝOlÓÙ|QpÆHtûi¶Ÿùm¡Aÿ
    ·&ˆÚj›)lüOc§é‘³ŒÝX·•0`8â0CwëRQÑ#/ɧô+fŽÆÖ
    &Ú3ýF#Ï»n:•ÁÇЕúV?PñdrÅ4×pjšœ.NÉgo-GÓÇQU¯4í*&‹â5;ÔóT¼3[Áº9?ô,Ÿ>¹çÖ³§V½Xå²·¼˜[d†‰Û
    —¶GJ®)tmöjô¯h9h®Ì¶áT`-²KƒÜeˆ>”«
    -¼vøó!¹yýiU”ÿÙ

    -----End of Data
    ---------------------------

    Go here to see it better:

    http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/large_wall.jpg

    The point is there are legitimate uses of large strings of data, even
    if you can't see them. In this case the jpg's data is converted to
    something more "readable" by us.

    In the case of the original poster, it sounds like he is using a
    browser and the Web to show and to transfer data. Showing it can be
    done by breaking it into smaller strings as several in this group have
    suggested.

    Using it is a different story.

    AF, Jun 25, 2005
  16. dorayme Guest

    > Ah yes, soft hyphens work in Firefox, but not Safari it seems. Thanks
    > for the half fix! ;-)

    In IE 5 for Mac or Mozilla, there seems no luck either. In one there is no
    change, in the other there are raised hyphens...

    What about this: you make a space between every tiny bit of life. Then it
    will wrap, the info is so long anyway, would it matter if it is twice as
    long?. But you can probably even control the spaces with css to be smaller
    than usual and so not appear as normal. You will get it to look even, it
    will be regular and it will wrap

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 26, 2005
  17. Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:50:33 GMT, AF <bscinc3000@Yahoo_NoSpam.com>
    wrote:

    >The point is there are legitimate uses of large strings of data,

    But that isn't a "string" of data, in the way we're using "string" here,
    to mean a sequence of characters, displayed as text glyphs.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 26, 2005
  18. in alt.html, Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:50:33 GMT, AF <bscinc3000@Yahoo_NoSpam.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The point is there are legitimate uses of large strings of data,

    Yes, but you really failed to proof it... After all, even the point of
    having JPG as string, as it is not possible to put this data back to get
    image...

    > But that isn't a "string" of data, in the way we're using "string" here,
    > to mean a sequence of characters, displayed as text glyphs.

    Puzzle: find all words in your language from following:

    ferkrehgkehsjgthgjgajesaglrahesgbrksgknrkejgbrksebrkbegjrjerkgejrgkekjbee
    rbkrebgkerkgbkjrbjergesankraebgjehkejgjshfjkdshgrkngkjnrjghejrkghejjeubro
    odhgekkjehasgjrhgskhlkejleawöjaoöjgjwrejgsöldöfmwesjfgesnrvcajeosfsefejor
    ailojkjkjkhgreejwaedaweöojaöwvnankdnfkelrfherklsagrerwakhfreklngkeskrngek

    It is much easier to copy paste these words, if they are cut from the
    middle if there is no space in between.

    If you don't know the words, then you can't cut it nice parts beforehand.
    And different people may prefer different lenght of lines. For puzzle, it
    is not big problem, but lets say your job is to find something from this
    kind of data...

    Lauri Raittila, Jun 26, 2005
  19. On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:08:40 +0200, Lauri Raittila
    <> wrote:

    >in alt.html, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >[following my post, instead OPs for some reason]
    >
    >> Why not rethink it. Just pre-break it into a static reasonable character
    >> count, like 72 characters. Then with your presentation put it in a div
    >> styled to separated it from your main text and convey that the genome
    >> characters are one continuous block of code?

    >I don't know how genome is to be used, but if it makes sence to copy
    >part/whole of this long string of characters, having spaces here/there
    >hurts copypasting.

    Most tools for analyzing DNA sequence ignore spaces and line feeds
    and many even discard line numbers.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

    Nick Theodorakis, Jun 28, 2005
  20. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Nick Theodorakis quothed

    > Most tools for analyzing DNA sequence ignore spaces and line feeds
    > and many even discard line numbers.

    That explains it. I knew that the space in my wife's head got ignored
    somehow.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jun 29, 2005