  1. I'm looking for a book that teaches how to write GOOD code.
    Any suggestions?

    A.

    Andrea Mondelli, May 21, 2013

  2. On 5/21/2013 8:39 AM, Andrea Mondelli wrote:
    > I'm looking for a book that teaches how to write GOOD code.
    > Any suggestions?

    Take a look at www.accu.org, the book review section. Any "recommended"
    or "highly recommended" C++ books are worth looking at. I personally
    don't know of any specific books that "teach how to write good code", so
    my approach has always been to try my best and have it reviewed by peers
    and tried by heavy use.

    Happy coding!

    Victor Bazarov, May 21, 2013

  3. Andrea Mondelli

    Stefan Ram Guest

    Andrea Mondelli <> writes:
    >I'm looking for a book that teaches how to write GOOD code.

    You can read (in this order and doing the exercise):
    Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++ (only if
    you have not programmed before) or Accelerated C++ (if you
    have programmed before), The C++ Programming Language,
    Effective C++, Exceptional C++ (Parts 1 and 2), and Modern
    C++ programming.

    Stefan Ram, May 21, 2013
  4. On 5/21/2013 9:40 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
    > Andrea Mondelli <> writes:
    >> I'm looking for a book that teaches how to write GOOD code.

    > You can read (in this order and doing the exercise):
    > Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++ (only if
    > you have not programmed before) or Accelerated C++ (if you
    > have programmed before), The C++ Programming Language,
    > Effective C++, Exceptional C++ (Parts 1 and 2), and Modern
    > C++ programming.

    The last title should probably be "Modern C++ Design".

    Victor Bazarov, May 21, 2013
  5. Andrea Mondelli

    Balog Pal Guest

    On 5/21/2013 2:39 PM, Andrea Mondelli wrote:
    > I'm looking for a book that teaches how to write GOOD code.
    > Any suggestions?

    I suggest to obtain a mentor, one who can actually write good C++ or
    whatever code, then he will set you on books and review your progress.

    We have many books that help those who already can write at some level
    good code to be better and more consistent. But the first milestone is
    way more tricky, and I doubt books can realistically cover it.

    Balog Pal, May 21, 2013
  6. Andrea Mondelli

    Puppet_Sock Guest

    On May 21, 8:39 am, Andrea Mondelli <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a book that teaches how to write GOOD code.
    > Any suggestions?

    In the category of "transferable skills" I would suggest
    _Code Complete_ by Steve McConnell. Many good suggestions
    that are less specific to a particular coding language.
    These will mostly be useful in C++ or any coding language.
    Socks

    Puppet_Sock, May 23, 2013
  7. On May 21, 7:39 am, Andrea Mondelli <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a book that teaches how to write GOOD code.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > A.

    Couple of suggestions:

    1. Sutter and Alexandrescu, C++ Coding standards
    2. Dewhurst, C++ Gotchas

    Anand Hariharan, May 23, 2013