how to write good code

nmm1

ditto. I still dig out my old books and still find some of them have
useful things to say. "The Elements of Programming Style" is worth a
re-read every few of years. Stroustrup has been described as dated but
it's still a delight to read.

Yes. Much of what was taught in the 1960s (usually based on Algol 60)
is still relevant. I teach "How to Help Programs Debug Themselves"
(marketing hyperbole), without much reference to what language people
are using.

I have never read "The Elements of Programming Style" because I have
looked at "Software Tools", and I have met the principals.
I obviously don't work in a very dynamic environment- I don't have to
discard everything and start agin every six months! How do they get
anything done?

All they do is implement the latest gimmicky idea, and get it working
well enough to demonstrate and not have EVERY user screaming at them.
You have used Web applications like that, surely?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Keighley

I favor the do it right path.  The requirements can change on
you that way, but not to the extent that you have to throw it
all out and start over.   In a Wall Street Journal article on
the best and worst jobs (software developer was rated no. 1)

was that best or worst?
a software developer was quoted, "You can't think that you'll
learn a skill now and that it will still be relevant in six
months."  I disagree with that.  It's important to work at
keeping up with new developments, but am not finding things
I've learned are being discarded that quickly.

ditto. I still dig out my old books and still find some of them have
useful things to say. "The Elements of Programming Style" is worth a
re-read every few of years. Stroustrup has been described as dated but
it's still a delight to read.

I obviously don't work in a very dynamic environment- I don't have to
discard everything and start agin every six months! How do they get
anything done?

Jorgen Grahn

[...] In a Wall Street Journal article on
the best and worst jobs (software developer was rated no. 1)
a software developer was quoted, "You can't think that you'll
learn a skill now and that it will still be relevant in six
months." I disagree with that. It's important to work at
keeping up with new developments, but am not finding things
I've learned are being discarded that quickly.
I obviously don't work in a very dynamic environment- I don't have to
discard everything and start agin every six months! How do they get
anything done?

All they do is implement the latest gimmicky idea, and get it working
well enough to demonstrate and not have EVERY user screaming at them.
You have used Web applications like that, surely?

I have no personal experience of it, but I get the impression that
there's a whole market segment where the people ordering the software
have deep pockets, little control, and don't listen to the end users.
This is the developers' playground, and I can easily see them switch
to new toys every six months.

Those would be places using Microsoft technology or Java though.
Not C++ or Fortran.

/Jorgen

Nick Keighley

Ford might have been the originator. I wouldn't off-hand know (and
didn't bother to research). A recent NASA administrator (in)famously
adopted a variant of it as sort of a slogan. Unfortunately, he rather
missed the point. We (NASA) were going to do things "better, faster,
cheaper". Yes, we were going to do all three. As was no great surprise
to some people, insisting that we could do all thee often ended up
achieving none of them.

wasn't in Ronald Reagan who promised to cut taxes increase (military)
spending and balance the budget?