How we recognize newbies as newbies

Alf P. Steinbach

1. Invalid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
2. Needless and incorrect "(T) expression"
3. Complaints that output doesn't appear.

arnuld

1. Invalid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
2. Needless and incorrect "(T) expression"
3. Complaints that output doesn't appear.

:D

i shew the last characteristic

Victor Bazarov

Alf said:
1. Invalid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
2. Needless and incorrect "(T) expression"
3. Complaints that output doesn't appear.
... or appears not the one that "should be",
especially in the case of 'cout << ++i << ++i'.

5. Requests to point to "the best web site
to learn C/C++".

BobR

Alf P. Steinbach said:
1. Invalid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
2. Needless and incorrect "(T) expression"
3. Complaints that output doesn't appear.

9. Which to learn first, C or C++. (asked in c.l.c++).
42. What is my error? (no code shown).
293. Subject: HELP! Body: Help me.
307. How to graphic?
309. How to make a major networking app., with threads. (newbie???)
309a. ""... How to open file?
309b. ""...'cout' doesn't work (like 3.).

Jim Langston

BobR said:
9. Which to learn first, C or C++. (asked in c.l.c++).
42. What is my error? (no code shown).
293. Subject: HELP! Body: Help me.
307. How to graphic?
309. How to make a major networking app., with threads. (newbie???)
309a. ""... How to open file?
309b. ""...'cout' doesn't work (like 3.).

406. What comes after pico?

red floyd

1. Invalid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
2. Needless and incorrect "(T) expression"
3. Complaints that output doesn't appear.
397. What's the most efficient way to save 0.001 microseconds on
something I haven't even profiled yet?

Gianni Mariani

Alf said:
1. Invalid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
2. Needless and incorrect "(T) expression"
3. Complaints that output doesn't appear.

999.
void main()
{
.... // ... segv somewhere here
}

Can you tell me what the problem is ?

1000.

test.cpp:42 Undefined variable 'i'.
What does this compiler error mean ?

Default User

Alf said:
1. Invalid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
2. Needless and incorrect "(T) expression"
3. Complaints that output doesn't appear.

An inordinate interest in the size of things.

Brian

Frank Birbacher

Hi!
1. Invalid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
2. Needless and incorrect "(T) expression"
3. Complaints that output doesn't appear.

4. additions like: "I would politely advise you of my non english
descent and reticently beg you not to affront my inept diction."

My first post to the usenet in 1998 contained such a sentence. While
reviewing my post I realized my english wasn't bad at all. It even
included complex tenses like conditional which still seem appropriate to
me today.

Didn't we all begin like that somehow?

Frank

ks

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

I try to merely peruse this group because the regulars are so sharp
and I almost never fail to learn something, so thank you all.

I couldn't resist commenting though: you make me laugh. I really
believe some of you can't wait to pounce on the unsuspecting student
who has had two weeks of C++ education. Keep up the good work and
thanks again!

Kevin

Jim Langston

Victor Bazarov said:
666. "Hey! Don't criticize my code! If you don't
want to help, just don't respond! Sheesh!"

732. Here is my program:
int main()
What do I need to add to print out the fibinochi sequence?

Thomas J. Gritzan

Jim said:
732. Here is my program:
int main()
What do I need to add to print out the fibinochi sequence?

777. How can I stop the console window pop up and close?

0815. "...I use VC6.0..."

4711.

int *p = new int;
delete p;
*p = 10;

Why does it work?

l33t. "Could U g4z plz ttl me Y that wtx? Thanx!"

Neelesh Bodas

777. How can I stop the console window pop up and close?
0815. "...I use VC6.0..."
4711.
int *p = new int;
delete p;
*p = 10;
Why does it work?

l33t. "Could U g4z plz ttl me Y that wtx? Thanx!"
863. 'HOW CAN I WRITE A PROGRAM TO PRINT THIS OUTPUT? THANKS'
* * * * *
* * * *
* * *
* *
*

Neelesh Bodas

863. 'HOW CAN I WRITE A PROGRAM TO PRINT THIS OUTPUT? THANKS'
* * * * *
* * * *
* * *
* *
*
864. 8.16 AM: Why I donot get any output?? [ some non-compilable code
provided]
8.33 AM: Why I donot get any output?? [ same post]
9.10 AM: Why I donot get any output?? [ same post]

865. How do I get this working with C/C++? Cross posted to c.l.c++,
c.l.c++.m, c.l.c.

Jerry Coffin

[ ... ]
I try to merely peruse this group because the regulars are so sharp
and I almost never fail to learn something, so thank you all.

[ ... ]

Quoting a signature is a pretty obvious giveaway as well! :)

Bo Persson

ks wrote:
::: 1. Invalid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
::: 2. Needless and incorrect "(T) expression"
::: 3. Complaints that output doesn't appear.
:::
::: --
:: I try to merely peruse this group because the regulars are so sharp
:: and I almost never fail to learn something, so thank you all.
::
:: I couldn't resist commenting though: you make me laugh. I really
:: believe some of you can't wait to pounce on the unsuspecting
:: student who has had two weeks of C++ education.

I think some of us are just fascinated that, at that point, someone
starts to try to figure out how to write code that is faster and/or
smaller than the most obvious code would be.

Why is that believed to be so important? Why is it believed that
outsmarting the compiler is so easy?

Bo Persson

Martijn van Buul

* Bo Persson:
Why is that believed to be so important? Why is it believed that
outsmarting the compiler is so easy?

Because compilers are so stupid, and their performance is so abysmal
sometimes?