how would i write this request in jquery?

Shawn Bright

Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

var url = "/sites/new_info";
new Ajax.Request(url, {
method: 'get',
onSuccess: function(response) {
var sites = response.responseJSON;
}
});

appreciate any help.

Andreas Bergmaier

Shawn said:
Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

Have you read the docs?
var url = "/sites/new_info";
new Ajax.Request(url, {
method: 'get',
onSuccess: function(response) {
var sites = response.responseJSON;
}
});

That code does what you have coded. Whats wrong with it?

Bergi

Shawn Bright

Have you read the docs?

That code does what you have coded. Whats wrong with it?

  Bergi

oh, it works fine, but i need to do the same thing in jQuery.

Gene Wirchenko

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:43:33 -0800 (PST), Shawn Bright

[smip]
oh, it works fine, but i need to do the same thing in jQuery.

Why? What does it gain you?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Hans-Georg Michna

Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.
var url = "/sites/new_info";
new Ajax.Request(url, {
method: 'get',
onSuccess: function(response) {
var sites = response.responseJSON;
}
});

jQuery is not very popular here, to put it mildly.

It may be a good idea to visit jQuery's own forum and ask there.
I'm pretty sure you will get the answer there.

Hans-Georg

Matt McDonald

Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

[Prototype.js code]

appreciate any help.

Seeing as you're just jumping from one lost cause to another,
I'll throw you a rope. What you're interested in using is
actually the XMLHttpRequest API[0] which is often aliased
as "AJAX" by marketers and fools.

Secondly, you'd be well-advised to steer clear of Prototype.js.
Richard Cornford has a well-known quote here regarding it. I
believe Thomas Lahn still has it randomly pop up in his "signature"
from time to time. I'll give you a hint: it's pretty scathing.

I'd suggest digging through the XMLHttpRequest API
documentation to understand how it truly works. That said,
David Mark has a module in his My Library API[1] that
covers "AJAX"[2]. I'd recommend at least giving it a
test drive. It will mask warts in IE relating to ActiveX
and other follies. For a clear beginner, that's a good idea.

[0] http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
[1] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-builder.asp
[2] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-doc.asp#requester

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Matt said:
Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in
jquery.

[Prototype.js code]

appreciate any help.

Seeing as you're just jumping from one lost cause to another,
I'll throw you a rope. What you're interested in using is
actually the XMLHttpRequest API[0] which is often aliased
as "AJAX" by marketers and fools.

Secondly, you'd be well-advised to steer clear of Prototype.js.
Richard Cornford has a well-known quote here regarding it. I
believe Thomas Lahn still has it randomly pop up in his "signature"
from time to time. I'll give you a hint: it's pretty scathing.

As my sig is chosen randomly, and I do not want to look that one up right
now, it is not the one you are looking for here. But the one here is put
equally aptly.
I'd suggest digging through the XMLHttpRequest API
documentation to understand how it truly works.

Looking into the newer XMLHttpRequest2 API would be useful as well, as there
are implementations of it in browsers. I have not had the time to consider
it for JSX as yet, but it looks promising.
That said, David Mark has a module in his My Library API[1] that
covers "AJAX"[2]. I'd recommend at least giving it a
test drive. It will mask warts in IE relating to ActiveX
and other follies. For a clear beginner, that's a good idea.

The last time we discussed this here, David's code was slightly flawed in
that it always used XMLHttpRequest() even if the request URI used the
`file:' scheme (where XMLHttpRequest() is known not to work in MSHTML). My
code tries to use ActiveXObject() first which has no such limitations.

JFTR: Using JSX:http.js [1], which is (also?) built on (more) sound
principles of software design, and rather well field-tested, that would be

var Request = jsx.net.http.Request;

var req = new Request("/sites/new_info", "GET", true,
function (response) {
var sites = response.responseJSON;
});

req.send();

or

var req = new Request("/sites/new_info");

req.setSuccessListener(function (response) {
var sites = response.responseJSON;
});

req.send();

… assuming that `responseJSON' was a built-in host property.

Aliasing `Request' is optional then, of course, but it can improve
efficiency if done in the right place. jsx._import() would be another
alternative.

PointedEars
_____
[1] <http://PointedEars.de/scripts/http.js>