    }
    });

    appreciate any help.

    Shawn Bright, Feb 13, 2012

  2. Shawn Bright schrieb:
    > Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

    Have you read the docs?

    > var url = "/sites/new_info";
    > new Ajax.Request(url, {
    > method: 'get',
    > onSuccess: function(response) {
    > var sites = response.responseJSON;
    > }
    > });

    That code does what you have coded. Whats wrong with it?

    Bergi

    Andreas Bergmaier, Feb 13, 2012

  3. Shawn Bright

    Shawn Bright Guest

    On Feb 13, 4:34 pm, Andreas Bergmaier <> wrote:
    > Shawn Bright schrieb:
    >
    > > Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

    > Have you read the docs?
    >
    > > var url = "/sites/new_info";
    > > new Ajax.Request(url, {
    > >      method: 'get',
    > >      onSuccess: function(response) {
    > >      var sites = response.responseJSON;
    > >      }
    > > });

    > That code does what you have coded. Whats wrong with it?
    >
    >   Bergi

    oh, it works fine, but i need to do the same thing in jQuery.

    Shawn Bright, Feb 14, 2012
  4. On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:43:33 -0800 (PST), Shawn Bright
    <> wrote:

    [smip]

    >oh, it works fine, but i need to do the same thing in jQuery.

    Why? What does it gain you?

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, Feb 14, 2012
  5. On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:04:26 -0800 (PST), Shawn Bright wrote:

    >Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

    >var url = "/sites/new_info";
    >new Ajax.Request(url, {
    > method: 'get',
    > onSuccess: function(response) {
    > var sites = response.responseJSON;
    > }
    >});

    jQuery is not very popular here, to put it mildly.

    It may be a good idea to visit jQuery's own forum and ask there.
    I'm pretty sure you will get the answer there.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Feb 14, 2012
  6. On 12-02-13 03:04 PM, Shawn Bright wrote:
    > Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.
    >

    > [Prototype.js code]
    >
    > appreciate any help.

    Seeing as you're just jumping from one lost cause to another,
    I'll throw you a rope. What you're interested in using is
    actually the XMLHttpRequest API[0] which is often aliased
    as "AJAX" by marketers and fools.

    Secondly, you'd be well-advised to steer clear of Prototype.js.
    Richard Cornford has a well-known quote here regarding it. I
    believe Thomas Lahn still has it randomly pop up in his "signature"
    from time to time. I'll give you a hint: it's pretty scathing.

    I'd suggest digging through the XMLHttpRequest API
    documentation to understand how it truly works. That said,
    David Mark has a module in his My Library API[1] that
    covers "AJAX"[2]. I'd recommend at least giving it a
    test drive. It will mask warts in IE relating to ActiveX
    and other follies. For a clear beginner, that's a good idea.

    [0] http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
    [1] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-builder.asp
    [2] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-doc.asp#requester

    --
    Matt McDonald: Web/Flash Developer; Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

    Matt McDonald, Feb 14, 2012
  7. Matt McDonald wrote:

    > On 12-02-13 03:04 PM, Shawn Bright wrote:
    >> Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in
    >> jquery.
    >>
    >> [Prototype.js code]
    >>
    >> appreciate any help.

    > Seeing as you're just jumping from one lost cause to another,
    > I'll throw you a rope. What you're interested in using is
    > actually the XMLHttpRequest API[0] which is often aliased
    > as "AJAX" by marketers and fools.
    >
    > Secondly, you'd be well-advised to steer clear of Prototype.js.
    > Richard Cornford has a well-known quote here regarding it. I
    > believe Thomas Lahn still has it randomly pop up in his "signature"
    > from time to time. I'll give you a hint: it's pretty scathing.

    As my sig is chosen randomly, and I do not want to look that one up right
    now, it is not the one you are looking for here. But the one here is put
    equally aptly.

    > I'd suggest digging through the XMLHttpRequest API
    > documentation to understand how it truly works.

    Looking into the newer XMLHttpRequest2 API would be useful as well, as there
    are implementations of it in browsers. I have not had the time to consider
    it for JSX as yet, but it looks promising.

    > That said, David Mark has a module in his My Library API[1] that
    > covers "AJAX"[2]. I'd recommend at least giving it a
    > test drive. It will mask warts in IE relating to ActiveX
    > and other follies. For a clear beginner, that's a good idea.

    The last time we discussed this here, David's code was slightly flawed in
    that it always used XMLHttpRequest() even if the request URI used the
    `file:' scheme (where XMLHttpRequest() is known not to work in MSHTML). My
    code tries to use ActiveXObject() first which has no such limitations.

    > [0] http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
    > [1] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-builder.asp
    > [2] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-doc.asp#requester

    JFTR: Using JSX:http.js [1], which is (also?) built on (more) sound
    principles of software design, and rather well field-tested, that would be

    var Request = jsx.net.http.Request;

    var req = new Request("/sites/new_info", "GET", true,
    function (response) {
    var sites = response.responseJSON;
    });

    req.send();

    or

    var req = new Request("/sites/new_info");

    req.setSuccessListener(function (response) {
    var sites = response.responseJSON;
    });

    req.send();

    … assuming that `responseJSON' was a built-in host property.

    Aliasing `Request' is optional then, of course, but it can improve
    efficiency if done in the right place. jsx._import() would be another
    alternative.

    PointedEars
    _____
    [1] <http://PointedEars.de/scripts/http.js>
    <http://PointedEars.de/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=JSX&path=/trunk/http.js>
    --
    Sometimes, what you learn is wrong. If those wrong ideas are close to the
    root of the knowledge tree you build on a particular subject, pruning the

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 18, 2012