How would you do this in html?

richard

<http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?_s=DhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK&_k=ZcFjJOtI>

Apparently tinyurl doesn't like the port.

How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html?
Then, you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
behave the way I have it.

The only script is in the output page, not in the actual coding.

An item such as this is easier done in run basic than it is in either
html or php. Without run basic, I'd have one extremely long page of
coding for sure.

richard

<http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?_s=DhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK&_k=ZcFjJOtI>

Apparently tinyurl doesn't like the port.

How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html?
Then, you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
behave the way I have it.

The only script is in the output page, not in the actual coding.

An item such as this is easier done in run basic than it is in either
html or php. Without run basic, I'd have one extremely long page of
coding for sure.

If you have problems with that link try this one.

<http://1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=zip1>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jim said:
What item? The URL?
Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
page full of:

"This application has unexpectedly terminated
Please contact your webmaster."

Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
to examine and evaluate that?

The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
12,000+ line of code.

richard

Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
to examine and evaluate that?

The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
12,000+ line of code.

What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
appearing along with the lists.

Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

Nik Coughlin

richard said:
What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
appearing along with the lists.

Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

Fails here too.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
appearing along with the lists.

Any browser. "View Source." You asked "how would you go about...", so I
looked at the code to see how I would. The code scrolls horizontally
until the middle of next week.
Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

Line 35, and (whoops!) it is now 24,085 characters long.

I also did a refresh on the page still in my browser, and got;

Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired
For a new session click here. <-- which didn't work
Copyright 2007 Shoptalk Systems.

The page has 170 HTML errors.
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbo...basicpersonal?_s=DhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK&_k=ZcFjJOtI>

New pages should be HTML 4.01 Strict.

richard

Any browser. "View Source." You asked "how would you go about...", so I
looked at the code to see how I would. The code scrolls horizontally
until the middle of next week.

Line 35, and (whoops!) it is now 24,085 characters long.

I also did a refresh on the page still in my browser, and got;

Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired
For a new session click here. <-- which didn't work
Copyright 2007 Shoptalk Systems.

The page has 170 HTML errors.
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbo...basicpersonal?_s=DhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK&_k=ZcFjJOtI>

New pages should be HTML 4.01 Strict.

You did not say before that you had looked at the page source itself.
What you did see is correct.
That is the output generated by the program in the manner, more or
less, as php outputs an html page.

As for the validations and that, perhaps you should point out that
side to the author himself. See www.runbasic.com for his email.
I'm sure his vast experience outweighs yours by several light years.

As I've seen the validator spit out false errors many a times.
Like in URL's that have a quoted section, which should be bypassed.
Like why does the validator return an error on a ? within the url?
Because it's not setup to disregard it.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
You did not say before that you had looked at the page source itself.
What you did see is correct. That is the output generated by the
program in the manner, more or less, as php outputs an html page.

My PHP does not output pages on a single line 24,085 characters long.
Tell it to use linefeeds between objects.
As for the validations and that, perhaps you should point out that
side to the author himself. See www.runbasic.com for his email.
I'm sure his vast experience outweighs yours by several light years.

I've no interest in seeing runbasic.com. And I doubt if his web
authoring experience is better than mine at all.
As I've seen the validator spit out false errors many a times.
Like in URL's that have a quoted section, which should be bypassed.
Like why does the validator return an error on a ? within the url?
Because it's not setup to disregard it.

Like why? Because they are errors according to the XHTML specs. It's
that simple.

New work should be Strict. Transitional is reserved for updating legacy
pages.

richard

Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
to examine and evaluate that?

The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
12,000+ line of code.

BTW, most of those errors you see should be corrected when I get to
working on the tables that will go below the text boxes.
I only did it that way for testing anyways.

rf

richard said:
BTW, most of those errors you see should be corrected when I get to
working on the tables that will go below the text boxes.
I only did it that way for testing anyways.

How can you test something that has hundreds of errors? You don't know
*what* the browser is going to do with it.

richard

How can you test something that has hundreds of errors? You don't know
*what* the browser is going to do with it.

Same way as you can put up a page, that works, with thousands of
errors in it.

richard

My PHP does not output pages on a single line 24,085 characters long.
Tell it to use linefeeds between objects.

I've no interest in seeing runbasic.com. And I doubt if his web
authoring experience is better than mine at all.

Like why? Because they are errors according to the XHTML specs. It's
that simple.

New work should be Strict. Transitional is reserved for updating legacy
pages.

Which is only an opinion. It is not mandatory.

In all fairness, run basic is an application, not a web page creator.
Kind of like inserting a java applet.
Or the insertion of a flash ad.
Although I could write the entire page using run basic, I won't.
My application will become part of another web page. Not the whole
thing.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
Which is only an opinion. It is not mandatory.

No, it isn't mandatory, but it is the opinion of many in this group
where you asked for this evaluation.
In all fairness, run basic is an application, not a web page creator.

Well, there ya go!

asdf

richard said:
Which is only an opinion. It is not mandatory.

No, it's not mandatory, but it is the intention of those that created the
standards, therefore you should try to stick to it. Even microsoft is
*trying* to adhere to the W3C standards these days.

Richard, you posted into an HTML newsgroup. Expect your pages be be
evaluated in that light, or don't post them here... that simple.

rf

richard said:
Same way as you can put up a page, that works, with thousands of
errors in it.

I don't put up a page with thousands of errors in it. If you do then you are
at the mercy of the browsers error correction. Who knows, version 9 browsers
may choose to not correct your errors as completely.

Awful Dog Autry

In all fairness, run basic is an application, not a web page creator.

Then why use it, particularly if it causes errors?
Kind of like inserting a java applet.
Or the insertion of a flash ad.
Although I could write the entire page using run basic, I won't.
My application will become part of another web page. Not the whole
thing.

A boat half filled with holes will sink just as surely as a boat
completely filled with holes.

dorayme

Awful Dog Autry said:
A boat half filled with holes will sink just as surely as a boat
completely filled with holes.

Only if time is left out of the equation. And a lot of boat sinking
actions can be carried out in t mins which cannot be carried out in 0.5
t mins.

dorayme

dorayme said:
nd a lot of boat sinking
actions can be carried out in t mins which cannot be carried out in 0.5
t mins.

and a lot of boat sinking *avoidance* actions can be carried out in...

richard

Now I get: "Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired". The link takes me to a
login page.
Dude. How can this be useful?

You got that because I posted the wrong link originally.
Delete everything after the ? and replace with app=zip1

What you see now is only the first part. I will soon have more that
will make things much clearer.