    An item such as this is easier done in run basic than it is in either
    html or php. Without run basic, I'd have one extremely long page of
    coding for sure.
    richard, Mar 8, 2009

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:42:30 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    ><http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?_s=DhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK&_k=ZcFjJOtI>
    >
    >Apparently tinyurl doesn't like the port.
    >
    >How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html?
    >Then, you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
    >behave the way I have it.
    >
    >The only script is in the output page, not in the actual coding.
    >
    >An item such as this is easier done in run basic than it is in either
    >html or php. Without run basic, I'd have one extremely long page of
    >coding for sure.

    If you have problems with that link try this one.

    <http://1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=zip1>
    richard, Mar 8, 2009

  3. Jim Moe wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> <http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/ ...
    >>
    >> How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html? Then,
    >> you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
    >> behave the way I have it.
    >>

    > What item? The URL?
    > Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
    > page full of:
    >
    > "This application has unexpectedly terminated
    > Please contact your webmaster."

    Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
    to examine and evaluate that?

    The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
    12,000+ line of code.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 8, 2009
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:46:16 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Jim Moe wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> <http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/ ...
    >>>
    >>> How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html? Then,
    >>> you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
    >>> behave the way I have it.
    >>>

    >> What item? The URL?
    >> Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
    >> page full of:
    >>
    >> "This application has unexpectedly terminated
    >> Please contact your webmaster."

    >Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
    >to examine and evaluate that?
    >
    >The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
    >12,000+ line of code.

    What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
    appearing along with the lists.

    Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."
    richard, Mar 8, 2009
  5. richard

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:46:16 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Jim Moe wrote:

    >>> What item? The URL?
    >>> Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
    >>> page full of:
    >>>
    >>> "This application has unexpectedly terminated
    >>> Please contact your webmaster."

    >>Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
    >>to examine and evaluate that?
    >>
    >>The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
    >>12,000+ line of code.

    > What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
    > appearing along with the lists.
    >
    > Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

    Fails here too.
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 8, 2009
  6. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Jim Moe wrote:

    >>> What item? The URL? Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes,
    >>> yellow and green, and a page full of:
    >>>
    >>> "This application has unexpectedly terminated Please contact your
    >>> webmaster."

    >> Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is
    >> going to examine and evaluate that?
    >>
    >> The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
    >> 12,000+ line of code.

    > What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
    > appearing along with the lists.

    Any browser. "View Source." You asked "how would you go about...", so I
    looked at the code to see how I would. The code scrolls horizontally
    until the middle of next week.

    > Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

    Line 35, and (whoops!) it is now 24,085 characters long.

    I also did a refresh on the page still in my browser, and got;

    Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired
    For a new session click here. <-- which didn't work
    Copyright 2007 Shoptalk Systems.

    The page has 170 HTML errors.
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1littleworld.net%3A8008%2Fseaside%2Fgo%2Frunbasicpersonal%3F_s%3DDhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK%26_k%3DZcFjJOtI>

    New pages should be HTML 4.01 Strict.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 8, 2009
  7. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:33:56 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:

    >>> Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is
    >>> going to examine and evaluate that?
    >>>
    >>> The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
    >>> 12,000+ line of code.

    >> What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
    >> appearing along with the lists.

    >Any browser. "View Source." You asked "how would you go about...", so I
    >looked at the code to see how I would. The code scrolls horizontally
    >until the middle of next week.
    >
    >> Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

    >Line 35, and (whoops!) it is now 24,085 characters long.
    >
    >I also did a refresh on the page still in my browser, and got;
    >
    >Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired
    >For a new session click here. <-- which didn't work
    >Copyright 2007 Shoptalk Systems.
    >
    >The page has 170 HTML errors.
    ><http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1littleworld.net%3A8008%2Fseaside%2Fgo%2Frunbasicpersonal%3F_s%3DDhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK%26_k%3DZcFjJOtI>
    >
    >New pages should be HTML 4.01 Strict.

    You did not say before that you had looked at the page source itself.
    What you did see is correct.
    That is the output generated by the program in the manner, more or
    less, as php outputs an html page.

    As for the validations and that, perhaps you should point out that
    side to the author himself. See www.runbasic.com for his email.
    I'm sure his vast experience outweighs yours by several light years.

    As I've seen the validator spit out false errors many a times.
    Like in URL's that have a quoted section, which should be bypassed.
    Like why does the validator return an error on a ? within the url?
    Because it's not setup to disregard it.
    richard, Mar 9, 2009
  8. richard wrote:

    > You did not say before that you had looked at the page source itself.
    > What you did see is correct. That is the output generated by the
    > program in the manner, more or less, as php outputs an html page.

    My PHP does not output pages on a single line 24,085 characters long.
    Tell it to use linefeeds between objects.

    > As for the validations and that, perhaps you should point out that
    > side to the author himself. See www.runbasic.com for his email.
    > I'm sure his vast experience outweighs yours by several light years.

    I've no interest in seeing runbasic.com. And I doubt if his web
    authoring experience is better than mine at all.

    > As I've seen the validator spit out false errors many a times.
    > Like in URL's that have a quoted section, which should be bypassed.
    > Like why does the validator return an error on a ? within the url?
    > Because it's not setup to disregard it.

    Like why? Because they are errors according to the XHTML specs. It's
    that simple.

    New work should be Strict. Transitional is reserved for updating legacy
    pages.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 9, 2009
  9. richard

    <> wrote:

    >Jim Moe wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> <http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/ ...
    >>>
    >>> How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html? Then,
    >>> you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
    >>> behave the way I have it.
    >>>

    >> What item? The URL?
    >> Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
    >> page full of:
    >>
    >> "This application has unexpectedly terminated
    >> Please contact your webmaster."

    >Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
    >to examine and evaluate that?
    >
    >The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
    >12,000+ line of code.

    BTW, most of those errors you see should be corrected when I get to
    working on the tables that will go below the text boxes.
    I only did it that way for testing anyways.
    richard, Mar 9, 2009
  10. richard

    rf Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:46:16 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jim Moe wrote:

    >> The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
    >> 12,000+ line of code.

    > BTW, most of those errors you see should be corrected when I get to
    > working on the tables that will go below the text boxes.
    > I only did it that way for testing anyways.

    How can you test something that has hundreds of errors? You don't know
    *what* the browser is going to do with it.
    rf, Mar 9, 2009
  11. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 01:01:42 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:46:16 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Jim Moe wrote:

    >>> The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
    >>> 12,000+ line of code.

    >> BTW, most of those errors you see should be corrected when I get to
    >> working on the tables that will go below the text boxes.
    >> I only did it that way for testing anyways.

    >How can you test something that has hundreds of errors? You don't know
    >*what* the browser is going to do with it.

    Same way as you can put up a page, that works, with thousands of
    errors in it.
    richard, Mar 9, 2009
  12. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:49:20 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> You did not say before that you had looked at the page source itself.
    >> What you did see is correct. That is the output generated by the
    >> program in the manner, more or less, as php outputs an html page.

    >My PHP does not output pages on a single line 24,085 characters long.
    >Tell it to use linefeeds between objects.
    >
    >> As for the validations and that, perhaps you should point out that
    >> side to the author himself. See www.runbasic.com for his email.
    >> I'm sure his vast experience outweighs yours by several light years.

    >I've no interest in seeing runbasic.com. And I doubt if his web
    >authoring experience is better than mine at all.
    >
    >> As I've seen the validator spit out false errors many a times.
    >> Like in URL's that have a quoted section, which should be bypassed.
    >> Like why does the validator return an error on a ? within the url?
    >> Because it's not setup to disregard it.

    >Like why? Because they are errors according to the XHTML specs. It's
    >that simple.
    >
    >New work should be Strict. Transitional is reserved for updating legacy
    >pages.

    Which is only an opinion. It is not mandatory.

    In all fairness, run basic is an application, not a web page creator.
    Kind of like inserting a java applet.
    Or the insertion of a flash ad.
    Although I could write the entire page using run basic, I won't.
    My application will become part of another web page. Not the whole
    thing.
    richard, Mar 9, 2009
  13. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> New work should be Strict. Transitional is reserved for updating
    >> legacy pages.

    > Which is only an opinion. It is not mandatory.

    No, it isn't mandatory, but it is the opinion of many in this group
    where you asked for this evaluation.

    > In all fairness, run basic is an application, not a web page creator.

    Well, there ya go!

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 9, 2009
  14. richard

    asdf Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:49:20 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> You did not say before that you had looked at the page source itself.
    >>> What you did see is correct. That is the output generated by the
    >>> program in the manner, more or less, as php outputs an html page.

    >>My PHP does not output pages on a single line 24,085 characters long.
    >>Tell it to use linefeeds between objects.
    >>
    >>> As for the validations and that, perhaps you should point out that
    >>> side to the author himself. See www.runbasic.com for his email.
    >>> I'm sure his vast experience outweighs yours by several light years.

    >>I've no interest in seeing runbasic.com. And I doubt if his web
    >>authoring experience is better than mine at all.
    >>
    >>> As I've seen the validator spit out false errors many a times.
    >>> Like in URL's that have a quoted section, which should be bypassed.
    >>> Like why does the validator return an error on a ? within the url?
    >>> Because it's not setup to disregard it.

    >>Like why? Because they are errors according to the XHTML specs. It's
    >>that simple.
    >>
    >>New work should be Strict. Transitional is reserved for updating legacy
    >>pages.

    > Which is only an opinion. It is not mandatory.

    No, it's not mandatory, but it is the intention of those that created the
    standards, therefore you should try to stick to it. Even microsoft is
    *trying* to adhere to the W3C standards these days.

    Richard, you posted into an HTML newsgroup. Expect your pages be be
    evaluated in that light, or don't post them here... that simple.

    asdf, Mar 9, 2009
  15. richard

    rf Guest

    richard wrote:

    > In all fairness, run basic is an application, not a web page creator.

    So what's it doing pretending to create web pages?

    > Kind of like inserting a java applet.

    No, it's not. Run basic is outputing HTML just like PHP does.

    > Or the insertion of a flash ad.

    No it's not.
    rf, Mar 9, 2009
  16. richard

    rf Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 01:01:42 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:

    >>> BTW, most of those errors you see should be corrected when I get to
    >>> working on the tables that will go below the text boxes.
    >>> I only did it that way for testing anyways.

    >> How can you test something that has hundreds of errors? You don't
    >> know *what* the browser is going to do with it.
    >>

    > Same way as you can put up a page, that works, with thousands of
    > errors in it.

    I don't put up a page with thousands of errors in it. If you do then you are
    at the mercy of the browsers error correction. Who knows, version 9 browsers
    may choose to not correct your errors as completely.
    rf, Mar 9, 2009
  17. On 08 Mar 2009, richard <> wrote:

    > In all fairness, run basic is an application, not a web page creator.

    Then why use it, particularly if it causes errors?

    > Kind of like inserting a java applet.
    > Or the insertion of a flash ad.
    > Although I could write the entire page using run basic, I won't.
    > My application will become part of another web page. Not the whole
    > thing.

    A boat half filled with holes will sink just as surely as a boat
    completely filled with holes.

    --
    Awful Dog Autry
    Awful Dog Autry, Mar 9, 2009
  18. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Awful Dog Autry <> wrote:

    > A boat half filled with holes will sink just as surely as a boat
    > completely filled with holes.

    Only if time is left out of the equation. And a lot of boat sinking
    actions can be carried out in t mins which cannot be carried out in 0.5
    t mins.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 9, 2009
  19. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > nd a lot of boat sinking
    > actions can be carried out in t mins which cannot be carried out in 0.5
    > t mins.

    and a lot of boat sinking *avoidance* actions can be carried out in...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 9, 2009
  20. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 23:01:14 -0700, Jim Moe
    <> wrote:

    >On 03/08/09 01:19 pm, Jim Moe wrote:
    >>> <http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?_s=DhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK&_k=ZcFjJOtI>
    >>>

    >> Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
    >> page full of:
    >>
    >> "This application has unexpectedly terminated
    >> Please contact your webmaster."
    >>

    > Now I get: "Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired". The link takes me to a
    >login page.
    > Dude. How can this be useful?

    You got that because I posted the wrong link originally.
    Delete everything after the ? and replace with app=zip1

    What you see now is only the first part. I will soon have more that
    will make things much clearer.
    richard, Mar 9, 2009