How would you do this in html?

richard

<http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?_s=DhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK&_k=ZcFjJOtI>

Apparently tinyurl doesn't like the port.

How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html?
Then, you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
behave the way I have it.

The only script is in the output page, not in the actual coding.

An item such as this is easier done in run basic than it is in either
html or php. Without run basic, I'd have one extremely long page of
coding for sure.

All but one error has been fixed.
That error I have no control over.
I have made the author aware of this.

Awful Dog Autry

and a lot of boat sinking *avoidance* actions can be carried out
in...

But why choose a holistic boat of any kind when an unholey one is not
only available but preferred by virtually 'everybody in the navy' so to
speak?

rf

richard said:
All but one error has been fixed.
That error I have no control over.
I have made the author aware of this.

"Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired"

Pathetic.

richard

"Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired"

Pathetic.

You got that because I removed the item.
Eventually I'll get it to where you won't even see anything about run
basic.

rf

richard said:
You got that because I removed the item.
Eventually I'll get it to where you won't even see anything about run
basic.

I for one don't give a damn. Don't bother telling us when you "eventually"
fix it.

It's been over a day since your first post and you can't even get two simple
lists (or whatever they were) working, something just about any regular here
could do manually while waiting for the jug to boil, and it's not a very big
jug. You have made one spectacularly good case for never ever using
runbasic.

dorayme

richard said:
Eventually I'll get it to where you won't even see anything about run
basic.

Are you accepting investment shares in your exciting new project? Please
supply details, I am looking to invest in something new and cutting edge
to steal a march others in the doldrumy share market...

richard

Are you accepting investment shares in your exciting new project? Please
supply details, I am looking to invest in something new and cutting edge
to steal a march others in the doldrumy share market...

5,000 canadian pesos will get you a pixel. Refer an investor and you
will obtain two more pixels for free. After 10 years you will receive
double the value of pixels you currently own.

The more you invest you though, will get you more pixels.
But hurry, supply is limited.

richard

Then why use it, particularly if it causes errors?

A boat half filled with holes will sink just as surely as a boat
completely filled with holes.

Two men were standing on the shores of the Potomac river watching some
new contraption called a steamboat moving on the river.
"What good is it?" one gent asked.
The other replied with, "What good is a baby?".

The other gent was Benjamin Franklin.

Both usenet and the internet were "babies" once.
Cellphones had to be carried in a briefcase.
The first laptop was nothing more than a keyboard with a very small
LCD.
Even the first computer was so huge it couldn't possibly fit into an
average size house.

15 years ago, the only way a web page could be created was with
tables.

15 years ago a 400mb hard drive cost around $300.

The first CD-RW's cost was over $1,000.

The flash drive was introduced and cost nearly $100.

So you see dear boy, given time, that baby grows and learns.

Kind of like you right?

Jonathan N. Little

Ben said:
In all fairness, run basic is an application, not a web page creator.
[...]
So you see dear boy, given time, that baby grows and learns.

And BASIC did. It was very successful in the 1980s, about 20 years after
it was invented. It's now 45 years old and can hardly be described as a
baby.

But having said that, Run Basic looks quite fun and I approve of your
using it.

That said is it really the tool for webpage creation? So may other
technologies tried, true, matured and actually present on web servers!
Even generalist Perl with the CGI.pm does a really concise app. Not sure
what your db backend is but even using simple TSV (tab separated value
files)

Example states in a plain text states.tsv:

ALABAMA AL
ALASKA AK
ARIZONA AZ
ARKANSAS AR
CALIFORNIA CA
COLORADO CO
CONNECTICUT CT

The for each state create a tsv for cities so for Alabama AL.tsv
Abbeville 101
Alabaster 102
Albertville 103
Alexander City 105
Anniston 106
Bay Minette 107
Beatrice 108
Birmingham 109
Brownville 110
Gadsden 111
Geneva 112
Greenville 113
Guntersville 114
Headland 115
Hoover 116
Huntsville 116

Then the CGI with actually produces valid code is 33 lines with comments!

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#take extra effort to make 4.01 strict
use CGI qw:)standard -no_xhtml);
$CGI::DEFAULT_DTD = ['-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN',
'http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd'];
use CGI::pretty;

my $cities='';
my $ss=style({-type=>'text/css'},'ul { width: 15em; height: 10em;
border: 1px solid #000; float: left; overflow: scroll; list-style: none;
margin: .5em; padding: 0; }');
my $states=ul(li(linksLinks('states','s')));

if(param('s')){
$cities=ul(li(linksLinks(param('s'),'c')));
}
if(param('c')){
# do whatever you want with city info
}

print header . start_html(-title=>'Use Perl',-head=>$ss) . $states .
$cities . end_html;

sub linksLinks{
my ($file, $qs)=@_;
open( IN, "$file.tsv")|| die "Error opening file: $file.tsv' for
reading)\n$!";
my @buf=<IN>;

close IN;
foreach(@buf){
chomp;
my ($k, $v)=split("\t", $_);
$_=a({-href=>"?$qs=$v"},$k);
}
return \@buf;

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, richard feverishly typed:

[...]
Eventually I'll get it to where you won't even see anything about run
basic.

Will that be when the link has a .php extension?

;-)

Cheers,
Nige

John Hosking

richard said:
Two men were standing on the shores of the Potomac river watching some
new contraption called a steamboat moving on the river.
"What good is it?" one gent asked.
The other replied with, "What good is a baby?".

The other gent was Benjamin Franklin.

Citation, please.
Both usenet and the internet were "babies" once.
Cellphones had to be carried in a briefcase.

By law?
The first laptop was nothing more than a keyboard with a very small
LCD.

Laps were smaller back then. Er, what year are you talking about? Brand?
Model?
Even the first computer was so huge it couldn't possibly fit into an
average size house.

To be fair, I don't think anyone ever tried.
15 years ago, the only way a web page could be created was with
tables.

Did Tim Berners-Lee know this?
15 years ago a 400mb hard drive cost around $300.

And now you can't even get one. They're getting more valuable!

richard

In all fairness, run basic is an application, not a web page creator.
[...]
So you see dear boy, given time, that baby grows and learns.

And BASIC did. It was very successful in the 1980s, about 20 years after
it was invented. It's now 45 years old and can hardly be described as a
baby.

But having said that, Run Basic looks quite fun and I approve of your
using it.

Thank you. As I am working on two projects that require a few hundred
or more links, there ain't no way I'm doing them all by hand. Run
Basic makes it easier and you get a clean output and nobody will know
the difference.

Awful Dog Autry

Two men were standing on the shores of the Potomac river watching
some new contraption called a steamboat moving on the river.
"What good is it?" one gent asked.
The other replied with, "What good is a baby?".

Good question. Babies are not only useless, they're a PITA. 'Course you
can always sell 'em.
The other gent was Benjamin Franklin.

Yeah, the dude who wanted to make the turkey the national bird. And now
he gobbles no more.
Both usenet and the internet were "babies" once.
Cellphones had to be carried in a briefcase.
The first laptop was nothing more than a keyboard with a very small
LCD.
Even the first computer was so huge it couldn't possibly fit into an
average size house.

15 years ago, the only way a web page could be created was with
tables.

15 years ago a 400mb hard drive cost around $300.

The first CD-RW's cost was over $1,000.

The flash drive was introduced and cost nearly $100.

So you see dear boy, given time, that baby grows and learns.

And takes your job and maybe your woman. Btw, did you know that you and
rf share the same first name? That's the formal first name, of course.
I'm not saying you're both Dicks or anything.
Kind of like you right?

Nah, I knew it all from the beginning so obstinatos make me mad.
However, despite of my rage- Well...

http://tinyurl.com/corqaf

Adrienne Boswell

"What good is a baby?".

Good question. Babies are not only useless, they're a PITA. 'Course you
can always sell 'em.

I _could_ get offended here, but instead, what are babues good for?

A. Waking you up a three o'clock in the morning for a bottle and diaper
change
B. Spitting up all over your freshly cleaned jacket
C. If it's a boy, a nice shower in the face

D. Looking at you with those big eyes and toothless smile that warms
your heart so much that it melts, and keeps that wonderful feeling going
every time you think of it -- even though you just got pee in the face
(and the baby laughed about it), your jacket is history, and you haven't
slept right in a month.

Awful Dog Autry

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Awful Dog Autry

I _could_ get offended here, but instead, what are babues good for?

A. Waking you up a three o'clock in the morning for a bottle and
diaper change
B. Spitting up all over your freshly cleaned jacket
C. If it's a boy, a nice shower in the face

D. Looking at you with those big eyes and toothless smile that warms
your heart so much that it melts, and keeps that wonderful feeling
going every time you think of it -- even though you just got pee in
the face (and the baby laughed about it), your jacket is history, and
you haven't slept right in a month.

You have a valid if illogical point, and, indeed, many adults become
fond of babies despite their antisocial behavior. I sometimes falter,
myself, but then my synapses kicks in and I look beyond the emotional
aspects of the issue to embrace the practical fundament which make me a
better human. Hannibal Lector had it right: people are most valuable as
a food-source for their own species, nurturing the more perspicacious
members of homo sapiens in a biologically-traditional way which
naturally abets the evolutionary imperative of survival of the fittest.
Furthermore, rumor has it that infants are tastier than toddlers or
teens, and a geek with acne can be truly disgusting. (Of course diapers
aren't too scrumptious, either.)