  1. Ding Wei

    Ding Wei Guest

    Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming language?
    Ding Wei, Jul 5, 2003

  2. On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:57:43 -0400, Ding Wei wrote:

    > Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming
    > language?

    Not that great. Try _The Standard C Library_ by P.J. Plauger maybe.

    Mike
    Michael B Allen, Jul 5, 2003

  3. Ding Wei

    osmium Guest

    Ding Wei writes:

    > Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming language?

    Definitely. It is my favorite book on "advanced" C. It also is an
    interesting read as a source of stuff you don't really need to know -
    history and the like.
    osmium, Jul 5, 2003
  4. On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:57:43 +0800, Ding Wei <> wrote:
    > Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming language?

    I'm just nearing my second read of it as I'm learning C. It's been good, and
    I've learnt quite a bit (as the OP said, not just about C but also it's
    precursors).

    Slight whine: sometimes I wish it was more intense like K&R rather than
    rambling but this does make it easier to read.

    I intend to read a load of C books...and I enjoyed this one.

    --
    Ben Fitzgerald
    London, UK
    Ben Fitzgerald, Jul 5, 2003
  5. Ding Wei

    Zoran Cutura Guest

    Michael B Allen <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:57:43 -0400, Ding Wei wrote:
    >
    >> Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming
    >> language?

    > Not that great. Try _The Standard C Library_ by P.J. Plauger maybe.

    Actually I find this book worth reading if its only for the fun, it is
    written in a way that made me read it completely in less than 3 days and
    also gave me a lot of insight into how certain things are working not
    only in C but in computer science. I'ld definitly put this book on a very
    high position in a C book hitparade.

    Yet a reader should understand that the author is sometimes talking kind
    of platform specific and this may not always be obivous.
    --
    Z ()
    "LISP is worth learning for the profound enlightenment experience
    Zoran Cutura, Jul 7, 2003
  6. Ding Wei

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> Ding Wei <> writes:

    >Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming language?

    If you have mastered K&R2, this book won't provide much enlightenment,
    but it's fun to read and contains a lot of trivia information that's not
    easy to find in other book.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Jul 7, 2003
  7. Dan Pop wrote:

    > In <> Ding Wei <> writes:
    >

    >>Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming language?
    >>

    > If you have mastered K&R2, this book won't provide much enlightenment,
    > but it's fun to read and contains a lot of trivia information that's not
    > easy to find in other book.
    >
    > Dan

    I recommend _Linux Core Kernel Commentary_ for an advanced study of C.
    Even better: Get the Linux kernel source code on your computer and
    then go through it with the book _Linux Kernel Programming_.
    Steve Zimmerman, Jul 8, 2003
  8. Ding Wei

    Micah Cowan Guest

    Steve Zimmerman <> writes:

    > Dan Pop wrote:
    >
    > > In <> Ding Wei <> writes:
    > >
    > >>Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming language?
    > >>

    > > If you have mastered K&R2, this book won't provide much
    > > enlightenment,
    > > but it's fun to read and contains a lot of trivia information that's not
    > > easy to find in other book.
    > > Dan
    > >

    > I recommend _Linux Core Kernel Commentary_ for an advanced study of C.
    > Even better: Get the Linux kernel source code on your computer and
    > then go through it with the book _Linux Kernel Programming_.

    That's an absolutely lousy way of learning C. It would be a terrific
    way of learning gcc for various platforms, though.

    The Linux source code makes heavy use of gcc-specific extensions. They
    don't have to bother with standard C, because they know they are
    targeted for only one specific C implementation, so they can do
    whatever the hell they want to. That makes it great study for
    advanced GNU-centric C (hence, still a good recommendation if that's
    what you want to learn), but a lousy study for advanced C in general.

    My $0.02,
    -Micah
    Micah Cowan, Jul 9, 2003
  9. Ding Wei

    Liu Jin Guest

    Micah Cowan <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Steve Zimmerman <> writes:
    > > I recommend _Linux Core Kernel Commentary_ for an advanced study of C.
    > > Even better: Get the Linux kernel source code on your computer and
    > > then go through it with the book _Linux Kernel Programming_.

    > That's an absolutely lousy way of learning C. It would be a terrific
    > way of learning gcc for various platforms, though.
    >
    > The Linux source code makes heavy use of gcc-specific extensions. They
    > don't have to bother with standard C, because they know they are
    > targeted for only one specific C implementation, so they can do
    > whatever the hell they want to. That makes it great study for
    > advanced GNU-centric C (hence, still a good recommendation if that's
    > what you want to learn), but a lousy study for advanced C in general.
    >
    > My $0.02,
    > -Micah

    The linux source code involves many good tricks,you may get many good
    ideas from it, but it's not a good source for learning ansi c.
    Liu Jin, Jul 9, 2003