How's about Expert C Programming-Deep C Secrets

Michael B Allen

Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming
language?

Not that great. Try _The Standard C Library_ by P.J. Plauger maybe.

Mike

osmium

Ding said:
Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming language?

Definitely. It is my favorite book on "advanced" C. It also is an
interesting read as a source of stuff you don't really need to know -
history and the like.

Ben Fitzgerald

Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming language?

I'm just nearing my second read of it as I'm learning C. It's been good, and
I've learnt quite a bit (as the OP said, not just about C but also it's
precursors).

Slight whine: sometimes I wish it was more intense like K&R rather than
rambling but this does make it easier to read.

I intend to read a load of C books...and I enjoyed this one.

Zoran Cutura

Michael B Allen said:
Not that great. Try _The Standard C Library_ by P.J. Plauger maybe.

Actually I find this book worth reading if its only for the fun, it is
written in a way that made me read it completely in less than 3 days and
also gave me a lot of insight into how certain things are working not
only in C but in computer science. I'ld definitly put this book on a very
high position in a C book hitparade.

Yet a reader should understand that the author is sometimes talking kind
of platform specific and this may not always be obivous.

Dan Pop

In said:
Is this book worth buying for my deep study of the C programming language?

If you have mastered K&R2, this book won't provide much enlightenment,
but it's fun to read and contains a lot of trivia information that's not
easy to find in other book.

Dan

Steve Zimmerman

Dan said:
If you have mastered K&R2, this book won't provide much enlightenment,
but it's fun to read and contains a lot of trivia information that's not
easy to find in other book.

Dan

I recommend _Linux Core Kernel Commentary_ for an advanced study of C.
Even better: Get the Linux kernel source code on your computer and
then go through it with the book _Linux Kernel Programming_.

Micah Cowan

Steve Zimmerman said:
I recommend _Linux Core Kernel Commentary_ for an advanced study of C.
Even better: Get the Linux kernel source code on your computer and
then go through it with the book _Linux Kernel Programming_.

That's an absolutely lousy way of learning C. It would be a terrific
way of learning gcc for various platforms, though.

The Linux source code makes heavy use of gcc-specific extensions. They
don't have to bother with standard C, because they know they are
targeted for only one specific C implementation, so they can do
whatever the hell they want to. That makes it great study for
advanced GNU-centric C (hence, still a good recommendation if that's
what you want to learn), but a lousy study for advanced C in general.

My $0.02,
-Micah

Liu Jin

Micah Cowan said:
That's an absolutely lousy way of learning C. It would be a terrific
way of learning gcc for various platforms, though.

The Linux source code makes heavy use of gcc-specific extensions. They
don't have to bother with standard C, because they know they are
targeted for only one specific C implementation, so they can do
whatever the hell they want to. That makes it great study for
advanced GNU-centric C (hence, still a good recommendation if that's
what you want to learn), but a lousy study for advanced C in general.

My $0.02,
-Micah

The linux source code involves many good tricks,you may get many good
ideas from it, but it's not a good source for learning ansi c.