howto copy OLD modules to new computer ?

botfood

I am attempting to get an OLD version of perl up and running on a new
laptop as quickly as possible for a roadtrip so I can work on some old
stuff in the 'same environment' the scripts were written. The old
computer runs win98 and has version 5.00502 build 522 of perl plus a
couple modules that were installed with PPM.

I had the ActiveState install .zip for that version of perl backed up,
and it seems to have installed correctly on the new laptop, which runs
windows XPpro. However, when I attempt to install the optional modules
I need via PPM, it gives me a message that it can't find the
repository... no doubt because ActiveState took them offline long ago.

I have access to the old computer, and am thinking i might be able to
manually copy appropriate files to the new install to duplicate the
environment.... and am looking for guidence on what files/folders/setup
I will need to do so that perl will 'see' the modules.

tips? comments?

Am I totally asking for trouble running this old version? Should I
download the current from ActiveState so that the current ppm 'works'
and risk version incompatibilities?

John Bokma

botfood said:
Am I totally asking for trouble running this old version? Should I
download the current from ActiveState so that the current ppm 'works'
and risk version incompatibilities?

I would say yes.

Ben Morrow

Quoth "botfood said:
[...]

I have had success in the past simply copying the entire C:/Perl
directory from one computer to another, and then fixing the
path/associations. In any case, if you've really installed exactly the
same version on the new computer, you should be able to copy the
C:/Perl/lib/site_perl (or whatever it's called: I forget) directory
across. (This is a little dodgy in general, as I would expect that at
least the ActiveState::* modules are quite tightly bound to their
release of ActivePerl.)
Am I totally asking for trouble running this old version? Should I
download the current from ActiveState so that the current ppm 'works'
and risk version incompatibilities?

A lot's changed between 5005 and 5.8, so if you really need to write
stuff that works with 5005 (which is a whole nother question: the Right
Thing is to upgrade that machine to the latest version, but you may be
unable to do that) you want to be developing with it.

Ben

botfood

botfood said:
I am attempting to get an OLD version of perl up and running on a new
laptop as quickly as possible for a roadtrip so I can work on some old
stuff in the 'same environment' the scripts were written.
------------

thanx for comments fellas. what I ended up doing was installing the old
perl from the .zip I had archived,which provided all the basic
structure and environmental setup in Xp, then copied and overwrote the
entire /usr tree as installed from the old computer just to catch
everything in one shot.

seems to work fine short term.... although I do agree that I need to
get the development environment up to par with whatis being run on the
actual remote host, which is probably way newer than 5.003 ;)

One of the biggest incompatibilities I had before was the version of
ImageMagick available on windows from active state versus what the host
installed from CPAN.

ah well,