HOWTO: Detect outgoing email has left Queue folder

Dan Sikorsky

I can send email using C# and SMTP, but keep closing the connection before
the .eml file has left the Queue folder. The length of time the .eml file
stays in the Queue folder is dependent on the size of that file; big or many
attachments increases the time.

If I start an internet connection, issue the smtp mail send and then close
the connection in my C# program, I need to wait until the .eml file has left
the Queue folder. Otherwise, prematurely closing the internet connection
causing IIS to abort the send.

How can I detect that the .eml file has left the Queue folder?

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

This is a Web-based app? Or did you write a component in C# or something?
You have a Web server that doesn't have constant access to the Internet?

I suggest asking in a C# group.

Ray at work

Dan Sikorsky

This is a C# console app using SMTP to send an email.

The .EML file stays in the Queue folder because I close down the Internet
Connection prematurely. That's why I posted this request ... What's the best
way to keep the Internet Connection live until the IIS server is done
sending the email, as evidenced by the .EML file leaving the Queue folder..

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

1. Don't have a server that doesn't have a constant connection to the
Internet if it needs one.

2. Try asking in a C# console app group. This group is for classic ASP.

Ray at work