HOWTO: Disable IE's AutoComplete feature using HTML META tags

Lee Harvey

Just discovered this by accident:

Web authors can effectively disable IE's AutoComplete feature by using the
following HTML <META> tags:

must-revalidate">

Using these tags, web authors can bypass the IE-specific AUTOCOMPLETE="off"
HTML attribute for <FORM> and <INPUT> elements.

Thought you'd be interested.

Chris Morris

Lee Harvey said:
Web authors can effectively disable IE's AutoComplete feature by using the
following HTML <META> tags:

must-revalidate">

At the expense of a fair bit of collateral damage to its and everyone
else's caching capabilities, yes.
Using these tags, web authors can bypass the IE-specific AUTOCOMPLETE="off"
HTML attribute for <FORM> and <INPUT> elements.

Why is using an IE specific attribute to bypass an IE-specific
'problem' [1] wrong? It's incredibly unlikely to harm anything else,
after all.

[1] Why would you (as an author, I mean, as a user I disable it in my
browser) want to turn off autocomplete - if the user wants it they can
have it. I doubt either the autocomplete attribute or your caching
hack works in other browsers with autocomplete ability anyway.

Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
caching Form data is not always a good idea... especially you Credit Card!

I agree with you: no problem to chache email and so on.
But I'm quite reluctant if we're speaking of a Payment form that contains credit card number.

Think if you feed in the form in a "public/work" computer...