    Can anyone recommend the best way to achieve so?

    ....is Web Service a good way to do so?

    F.

    Filippo, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Filippo

    Thomas Guest

    Hi,

    I'm working on the exact same problem:

    My solution is

    1) Poll file source webservice once in a while (every 5 seconds in my case)

    2) If new file version is available, then return url to file source on a web server.

    3) Download file from url using WebRequest and WebResponse, Stream, BinaryReader and BinaryWriter

    My solution also to only download one copy of a file that goes to many destinations on a site. That will save bandwith/time.

    Attached is a VB Console Version of my current code FileServiceWatcherConsole.vb. I also have a Windows service version if you want it.

    Attached is the response (CopyRequest.xml) FileServiceWatcherConsole get when calling the web method GetRequest

    Attached is the SQL Server table that holds information about the file to be copied.

    - Thomas
    "Filippo" <> wrote in message news:...
    Hi there,
    I am writing a "Windows Update" type application where via Web Services the client checks with the Server if he needs to download a newer version of a set of DLLs and EXE.

    If there is a newer version, I need to download the file from the server to the client.
    I wonder what is the best way to download a EXE without executing it when it arrives on the client.

    Thomas, Jul 10, 2003