    But how can this be done using JAVA?

    Thank you in advance
    Sascha
    Sascha Teifke, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Sascha Teifke

    Sudsy Guest

    Sascha Teifke wrote:
    > I need to find all NICs of a specific Vendor in my LAN.
    >
    > I guess I can fetch them if I do a Ethernet Broadcast and
    > checking for the Vendors MAC-OUI.
    >
    > But how can this be done using JAVA?
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    > Sascha

    Use the right tool for the job. Seriously, Java makes it all very
    simple to perform most higher-level network operations. Heck, they
    even have HttpURLConnection which makes 'web programming real easy.
    For the low-level network stuff (MACs, ICMP, etc.) you need a low-
    level language. C on *NIX is ideal for this. Java, OTOH, was never
    designed for these machinations.
    Suggestion: don't try to shoehorn a square peg into a round hole.
    Sudsy, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Thanks,

    that was the pointer into the right direction!
    I found a WinPCap Wrapper for Java at:

    http://netresearch.ics.uci.edu/kfujii/jpcap/doc/index.html

    Thank you both!

    Greetz