howto get user and machine information of client computer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Gert Jan, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Gert Jan

    Gert Jan Guest

    Hi there,

    in a webapplication in a company where i have two seperate
    domains, without any trust relation i need the following.

    on the first domain (the backoffice) the users use a
    webapplication to see transaction on a database in the
    second domain. I can make user accounts on the second
    domain, but I need (for logging and tracing reasons) the
    username and machinename of the first domain.

    To get this i think i need some javascript to get local
    information. Does someone know how to get this?

    Thanks!
    best regards

    Gert Jan
    Gert Jan, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Gert Jan

    Keith Guest

    You'll only get the username and password of the user if
    you force them to authenticate, which they can only do if
    you are setup to use something other than anonymous
    access. The best solution in this situation for me has
    been to simply add the Domain Users or whichever group
    from the user's domain to a group on the local machine.
    I then use integrated authentication using their domain
    as the authenticator. This is a logistical and security
    mess that may be 1. Not allowed in your environment 2. A
    little too complex of a solution. Unforunately, the only
    other solution is to require the users to programatically
    login and you storing a database of valid
    usernames\passwords. I know this seems like it's not a
    solution but it really is your best 3 options.

    Keith, Feb 1, 2004