HOWTO make a progress bar based on the databound control?

Igor

Hi all,

I've had these pages that I wrote in php that are used for executing varoius
queries. Query results are displayed as tables.
Since these tables can be pretty big I'like to give user some feedback while
queries are executing and rendering so I did the following:
- While rendering (iterating through query resultset) every N rows I'd
output a javascript command and then response.flush() to update user's
progress bar.
That way, a user can see that the table rows are "arriving" from the server.

Now, I'd like to translate that page to ASP.NET 2 (C#).

I'm using nested repeaters to create HTML table with the results (but the
question applies also to the GridView and DataList).

Finally the question:
- Is there a way to give user some info on progress (imagine that I'm
rendering a 1000 rows table) and update a progress bar on the client's side
while the rows are rendering?

I've been looking at Atlas but I don't think I can do it with Atlas since
I'd have to use Web service on the server side and web service is ignorant
of the current state of my repeater (GridView,DataList) that is just
rendering.
I could fool user with some animated gifs but that is a backup plan :).

Thanks in advance,

Igor