    maybe even with some examples?

    thanks in advance-
    Bill

    Bill, Feb 28, 2007

  2. Bill

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth Bill <>:
    > Anything out there that's well documented and half way easy to learn,
    > maybe even with some examples?

    You want to use DBI and DBD::Oracle. Go to http://search.cpan.org and
    search for them.

    Ben

    on the strictest morality. [Samuel Butler, paraphrased]

    Ben Morrow, Feb 28, 2007

  3. Bill

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <>, Bill
    <> wrote:

    > Anything out there that's well documented and half way easy to learn,
    > maybe even with some examples?

    There's the DBI module, which even has a book about it: "Programming
    the Perl DBI"

    http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBI/

    brian d foy, Feb 28, 2007
  4. Bill

    gf Guest

    On Feb 28, 7:52 am, Bill <> wrote:
    > Anything out there that's well documented and half way easy to learn,
    > maybe even with some examples?
    >
    > thanks in advance-
    > Bill

    the DBI is not that hard to use. Getting the connection going is the
    first step and requires that you have the appropriate Oracle drivers
    on the machine hosting the code, then getting the right settings to
    plug into the DSN. You'll need the database name, the host name, the
    port you're connecting to, the user ID and password, and to decide
    whether you're going to let the DBI handle your error handling,
    reporting and whether it should commit automatically.

    Then, based on your application's needs, you'll want to get familiar
    with do(), prepare(), execute() and selectrow_array() routines.

    The DBI docs are pretty good and are mirrored in the "Programming the
    Perl DBI" book from O'Reilly. I prefer the online docs at
    http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI/DBI.pm though I regularly make a mess
    of my monitor's screen highlighting sections and writing notes. :)

    gf, Feb 28, 2007