HP - fork & exec in Threads hang - intermittently

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ajay Bakhshi, May 3, 2004.

  1. Ajay Bakhshi

    Ajay Bakhshi Guest

    Hi,

    I am facing the following problem on HP.

    Background:

    I have a GUI (QT package) and I am running tasks in Threads. These threads
    spawn a process and read the output of the process and then display the O/P
    on the GUI.
    Now I can get a new process spawned by using a menu option.

    Now every alternate time the process hangs (spawned from the same gui):

    I.e. First process hangs.
    Second goes through fine.
    Third goes fine
    Fourth hangs.

    More on the problem:

    This is what happens, when I call

    os.fork()

    In the parent process I get the Pid of the child and the parent is fine.
    But in the child process (even before calling exec) my print statements work
    but anything os.XXX function call fails. I did a very simple stuff: before
    calling exec:
    Os.system("touch /tmp/m1") and this system call fails (for situations where
    the process hangs).

    NOTE: The hp system is:

    HP-UX 11.11
    It has MSCS cluster installed on it.

    Python: 2.2.3

    Has any body seen such a hanging of processes.

    Thanks
    -Ajay B

    Ajay Bakhshi, May 3, 2004