HREF for executable file with parameter

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Martin Wulfe, Jan 20, 2009.

  1. Martin Wulfe

    Martin Wulfe Guest

    I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
    email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
    to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
    line:

    c:\>MyApp.exe parm1

    The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
    HREF. When I try

    <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">

    or

    <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>

    I get an error. Any help out there?

    TIA,
    Martin

    Martin Wulfe, Jan 20, 2009

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Martin Wulfe <>
    writing in news::

    > I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
    > email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
    > to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
    > line:
    >
    > c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
    >
    > The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
    > HREF. When I try
    >
    ><A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
    >
    > or
    >
    ><A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
    >
    > I get an error. Any help out there?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Martin

    It's really a security issue - imagine c:\delete *.*

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 21, 2009

  3. Martin Wulfe

    Adrian Guest

    "Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message
    >I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
    > email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
    > to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
    > line:
    >
    > c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
    >
    > The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
    > HREF. When I try
    >
    > <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
    >
    > or
    >
    > <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
    >
    > I get an error. Any help out there?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Martin

    What this sounds to me like is, that you want to create an

    application that handles emails, and that in the email you

    want to embed the activation of a program. That sounds

    malwarish to me, or have I misunderstood your intensions?

    Adrian.

    Adrian, Jan 21, 2009
  4. Martin Wulfe

    Adrian Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Martin Wulfe <>
    > writing in news::
    >
    >> I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
    >> email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
    >> to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
    >> line:
    >>
    >> c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
    >>
    >> The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
    >> HREF. When I try
    >>
    >><A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >><A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
    >>
    >> I get an error. Any help out there?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Martin
    >>

    > It's really a security issue - imagine c:\delete *.*
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    > http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Looking at your beautiful work, this came up:

    XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
    Location: http://www.visionforglendale.com/
    Line Number 166, Column 1:<script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://analytics.hosting24.com/count.php"></script>
    ^
    Adrian

    Adrian, Jan 21, 2009
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Adrian" <> writing in

    >> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    >> Please respond to the group so others can share

    > Looking at your beautiful work, this came up:
    >
    > XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
    > Location: http://www.visionforglendale.com/
    > Line Number 166, Column 1:<script type="text/javascript"
    > src="http://analytics.hosting24.com/count.php"></script>
    > ^
    > Adrian

    Thank you, Adrian. I always forget to turn that stupid thing off!
    I'll have to do it tomorrow, though, the servers are down for
    maintenance.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 21, 2009
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Adrian" <> writing in

    > XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
    > Location: http://www.visionforglendale.com/
    > Line Number 166, Column 1:<script type="text/javascript"
    > src="http://analytics.hosting24.com/count.php"></script>
    > ^
    > Adrian

    Fixed. Thank you again.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 21, 2009
  7. Martin Wulfe

    Martin Wulfe Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:46:43 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:

    >"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message
    >>I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
    >> email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
    >> to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
    >> line:
    >>
    >> c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
    >>
    >> The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
    >> HREF. When I try
    >>
    >> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
    >>
    >> I get an error. Any help out there?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Martin

    >What this sounds to me like is, that you want to create an
    >
    >application that handles emails, and that in the email you
    >
    >want to embed the activation of a program. That sounds
    >
    >malwarish to me, or have I misunderstood your intensions?
    >
    >Adrian.

    No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
    by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
    internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
    exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
    the recipient clicks on the link.

    Martin Wulfe, Jan 21, 2009
  8. Martin Wulfe

    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:46:43 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
    >>> email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
    >>> to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
    >>> line:
    >>>
    >>> c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
    >>>
    >>> The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
    >>> HREF. When I try
    >>>
    >>> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
    >>>
    >>> I get an error. Any help out there?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Martin

    >>*********************************************
    >>What this sounds to me like is, that you want to create an
    >>
    >>application that handles emails, and that in the email you
    >>
    >>want to embed the activation of a program. That sounds
    >>
    >>malwarish to me, or have I misunderstood your intensions?
    >>
    >>Adrian.
    >>

    > No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
    > by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
    > internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
    > exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
    > the recipient clicks on the link.

    Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
    is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
    network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
    The changed status could activate whatever you want
    on, or from the central box.

    Adrian

    Adrian, Jan 21, 2009
  9. Martin Wulfe

    Martin Wulfe Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:58:59 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:

    >"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:46:43 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message

    >>>*********************************************
    >>>What this sounds to me like is, that you want to create an
    >>>
    >>>application that handles emails, and that in the email you
    >>>
    >>>want to embed the activation of a program. That sounds
    >>>
    >>>malwarish to me, or have I misunderstood your intensions?
    >>>
    >>>Adrian.
    >>>

    >> No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
    >> by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
    >> internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
    >> exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
    >> the recipient clicks on the link.

    >Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
    >is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
    >network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
    >The changed status could activate whatever you want
    >on, or from the central box.
    >
    >Adrian

    Actually, the solution I'm thinking of is similar to that. The
    application (which can sit in any of 10 - 15 desktops) will write a
    script file named, for example domyapp123.vbs, which will sit on the
    LAN, and will start the app with 123 as its argument. The email the
    app sends would have an HREF pointing to that file. Not very
    elligent, but it should work. The approach of adding an argument in
    the HTML is a whole lot cleaner, ifI can get it to work.

    Martin

    Martin Wulfe, Jan 21, 2009
  10. Martin Wulfe

    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:58:59 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
    >>> by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
    >>> internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
    >>> exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
    >>> the recipient clicks on the link.

    >>*********************************************
    >>Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
    >>is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
    >>network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
    >>The changed status could activate whatever you want
    >>on, or from the central box.
    >>
    >>Adrian
    >>

    > Actually, the solution I'm thinking of is similar to that. The
    > application (which can sit in any of 10 - 15 desktops) will write a
    > script file named, for example domyapp123.vbs, which will sit on the
    > LAN, and will start the app with 123 as its argument. The email the
    > app sends would have an HREF pointing to that file. Not very
    > elligent, but it should work. The approach of adding an argument in
    > the HTML is a whole lot cleaner, ifI can get it to work.
    >
    > Martin

    Elegance can give a deveoper nightmares :)
    As long as it works bug free why worry, because
    by the looks of it, it is a temporary job anyway.

    Adrian

    Adrian, Jan 21, 2009
  11. Martin Wulfe

    Martin Wulfe Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:30:44 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:

    >"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:58:59 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message

    >>>*********************************************
    >>>Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
    >>>is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
    >>>network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
    >>>The changed status could activate whatever you want
    >>>on, or from the central box.
    >>>
    >>>Adrian
    >>>

    >> Actually, the solution I'm thinking of is similar to that. The
    >> application (which can sit in any of 10 - 15 desktops) will write a
    >> script file named, for example domyapp123.vbs, which will sit on the
    >> LAN, and will start the app with 123 as its argument. The email the
    >> app sends would have an HREF pointing to that file. Not very
    >> elligent, but it should work. The approach of adding an argument in
    >> the HTML is a whole lot cleaner, ifI can get it to work.
    >>
    >> Martin

    >Elegance can give a deveoper nightmares :)
    >As long as it works bug free why worry, because
    >by the looks of it, it is a temporary job anyway.
    >
    >Adrian

    No, its not temporary. This is a software package that evolves over
    time and is used each year during an anual nationwide survey. And I
    disagree with your comment about elegance: to me, its what makes
    programming interesting.

    Martin Wulfe, Jan 22, 2009
  12. Martin Wulfe

    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:30:44 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message

    >>> Actually, the solution I'm thinking of is similar to that. The
    >>> application (which can sit in any of 10 - 15 desktops) will write a
    >>> script file named, for example domyapp123.vbs, which will sit on the
    >>> LAN, and will start the app with 123 as its argument. The email the
    >>> app sends would have an HREF pointing to that file. Not very
    >>> elligent, but it should work. The approach of adding an argument in
    >>> the HTML is a whole lot cleaner, ifI can get it to work.
    >>>
    >>> Martin

    >>*********************************************
    >>Elegance can give a deveoper nightmares :)
    >>As long as it works bug free why worry, because
    >>by the looks of it, it is a temporary job anyway.
    >>
    >>Adrian
    >>

    > No, its not temporary. This is a software package that evolves over
    > time and is used each year during an anual nationwide survey. And I
    > disagree with your comment about elegance: to me, its what makes
    > programming interesting.

    "Its what makes programming interesting."
    I might want to agree,

    Adrian,

    Adrian, Jan 22, 2009
  13. Martin Wulfe

    Martin Wulfe Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:14:56 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:

    >>>*********************************************
    >>>Elegance can give a deveoper nightmares :)
    >>>As long as it works bug free why worry, because
    >>>by the looks of it, it is a temporary job anyway.
    >>>
    >>>Adrian
    >>>

    >> No, its not temporary. This is a software package that evolves over
    >> time and is used each year during an anual nationwide survey. And I
    >> disagree with your comment about elegance: to me, its what makes
    >> programming interesting.

    >"Its what makes programming interesting."
    >I might want to agree,
    >
    >Adrian,

    So I'm back to my original question: how can I construct an HTML
    anchor to an executable file with a command-line argument?

    Martin Wulfe, Jan 23, 2009
  14. Martin Wulfe

    Martin Wulfe Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:58:59 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:

    >"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:46:43 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message

    >>>*********************************************
    >>>What this sounds to me like is, that you want to create an
    >>>
    >>>application that handles emails, and that in the email you
    >>>
    >>>want to embed the activation of a program. That sounds
    >>>
    >>>malwarish to me, or have I misunderstood your intensions?
    >>>
    >>>Adrian.
    >>>

    >> No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
    >> by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
    >> internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
    >> exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
    >> the recipient clicks on the link.

    >Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
    >is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
    >network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
    >The changed status could activate whatever you want
    >on, or from the central box.
    >
    >Adrian

    So i'm back to my original question: is there some way to construct
    an HTML anchor to an executable with a parameter...
    <A HREF="file:///myapp.exe param1"/A>? I have the alternative I
    described working, but it is going to start generating one file for
    every record in the database, and that is going to over 500 very soon.
    That is truly ineligant!

    Martin Wulfe, Jan 23, 2009
  15. Martin Wulfe

    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:58:59 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
    >>> by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
    >>> internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
    >>> exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
    >>> the recipient clicks on the link.

    >>*********************************************
    >>Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
    >>is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
    >>network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
    >>The changed status could activate whatever you want
    >>on, or from the central box.
    >>
    >>Adrian
    >>

    > So i'm back to my original question: is there some way to construct
    > an HTML anchor to an executable with a parameter...
    > <A HREF="file:///myapp.exe param1"/A>? I have the alternative I
    > described working, but it is going to start generating one file for
    > every record in the database, and that is going to over 500 very soon.
    > That is truly ineligant!

    That obviously is ineffective and I don't understand. If only
    some user information needs to be conveyed, then there
    need only be one shared file per user, i.e. 10 -15.
    The code below shows what I mean
    Userone wants to bingo
    Usertwo wants to bongo
    Try it it. Works fine on an XP.
    This is MS DOS Batch File

    rem beginning
    :Again
    if exist C:\Share\Userone.txt goto Executeone
    if exist C:\Share\Usertwo.txt goto Executetwo
    rem Wait for 10 seconds
    ping -n 10 127.0.0.2 > nul
    goto Again
    :Executeone
    del C:\Share\Userone.txt
    c:\test\bingo.exe
    :Executetwo
    del C:\Share\Usertwo.txt
    c:\test\bongo.exe
    :Again

    rem end

    Adrian, Jan 23, 2009
  16. Martin Wulfe

    Adrian Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    > "Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:58:59 +0100, "Adrian" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Martin Wulfe" <> wrote in message

    >>>*********************************************
    >>>Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
    >>>is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
    >>>network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
    >>>The changed status could activate whatever you want
    >>>on, or from the central box.
    >>>
    >>>Adrian
    >>>

    >> So i'm back to my original question: is there some way to construct
    >> an HTML anchor to an executable with a parameter...
    >> <A HREF="file:///myapp.exe param1"/A>? I have the alternative I
    >> described working, but it is going to start generating one file for
    >> every record in the database, and that is going to over 500 very soon.
    >> That is truly ineligant!

    > That obviously is ineffective and I don't understand. If only
    > some user information needs to be conveyed, then there
    > need only be one shared file per user, i.e. 10 -15.
    > The code below shows what I mean
    > Userone wants to bingo
    > Usertwo wants to bongo
    > Try it it. Works fine on an XP.
    > This is MS DOS Batch File
    >
    > rem beginning
    > :Again
    > if exist C:\Share\Userone.txt goto Executeone
    > if exist C:\Share\Usertwo.txt goto Executetwo
    > rem Wait for 10 seconds
    > ping -n 10 127.0.0.2 > nul
    > goto Again
    > :Executeone
    > del C:\Share\Userone.txt
    > c:\test\bingo.exe
    > :Executetwo
    > del C:\Share\Usertwo.txt
    > c:\test\bongo.exe
    > :Again
    >
    > rem end

    **********************************
    PS it is a bat file of course.

    Adrian, Jan 23, 2009
  17. Martin Wulfe

    Martin Wulfe Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 05:03:26 -0500, Sherm Pendley
    <> wrote:

    >Martin Wulfe <> writes:
    >
    >> So i'm back to my original question: is there some way to construct
    >> an HTML anchor to an executable with a parameter...
    >> <A HREF="file:///myapp.exe param1"/A>?

    >Is myapp.exe something you created? If so, you could register it as the
    >handler for a custom URL scheme, then use that scheme in your links
    >instead of http. For example:

    >sherm--

    Sherm -

    Please read the earlier posts about this. Yes, this is a VB 2005 app
    I am writing. One part of it sends emails to selected internal
    recipients with an HTML body. I want this message to include a link
    back to this app (but on the recipient's computer) that includes a
    parameter with the record ID of the database it should open.

    What you're suggesting may work, but to tell the truth, I don't have
    the experience with .Net yet to know if it will. Can you suggest
    where in MSDN I might find more about this?

    Thanks,
    Martin

    Martin Wulfe, Jan 23, 2009
  18. Martin Wulfe

    Tim Greer Guest

    Martin Wulfe wrote:

    > I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
    > email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
    > to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
    > line:
    >
    > c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
    >
    > The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
    > HREF. When I try
    >
    > <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
    >
    > or
    >
    > <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
    >
    > I get an error. Any help out there?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Martin

    On the web via a browser, it would more likely be a path of <a
    href=/scriptnamehere.exe> and you'd pass an argument, such as <a
    href=/webpath/to/script.exe?field=value> or just script.exe?value
    (depending on how it accepts the arguments).

    Tim Greer, Jan 23, 2009
  19. Martin Wulfe

    Tim Greer Guest

    Martin Wulfe wrote:

    > I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
    > email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
    > to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
    > line:
    >
    > c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
    >
    > The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
    > HREF. When I try
    >
    > <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
    >
    > or
    >
    > <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
    >
    > I get an error. Any help out there?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Martin

    Pardon my last response. I assumed you were wanting the anchor for a web
    document on a web server, I see you're trying to use it locally on the
    system outside of a web service in your followup posts.

    Tim Greer, Jan 23, 2009
  20. Martin Wulfe

    Tim Greer Guest

    Tim Greer, Jan 23, 2009