href problem opening local media files

Laddie_In_A_Stitch

Hi. I created a simple html menu that contains links to media on local
disk. I use code like this:

I have several movies that are ~1GB in size. When clicking on the link
above IE6 takes very long to start playing the movie. If seems IE6
first reads the whole movie file before passing it to Windows Media
Player Classic. Why? Is there a way to make IE6 just start playing
right away? These delays are driving me mad.

In Windows Explorer the movie starts immediately when I double-click
it.

Thanks for your help.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Laddie_In_A_Stitch:
Hi. I created a simple html menu that contains links to media on local
disk. I use code like this:

Wrong syntax. "\" is disallowed in URLs. Use "/" instead, hoping that your
browser gets it right. Note that file: URLs are by definition
system-specific, so the (probably nonexistent) full user-level documentation
of your browser(s) is the right source of information on them.
I have several movies that are ~1GB in size. When clicking on the link
above IE6 takes very long to start playing the movie.

Should we be surprised?
If seems IE6
first reads the whole movie file before passing it to Windows Media
Player Classic. Why? Is there a way to make IE6 just start playing
right away?

Could be. Did you test how <embed> works in your particular system?