.htaccess - htm / html question

nllamas

Hi folks,

Checking my error logs, today, I find that some people are occasionally
requesting pages with an .htm extension rather than .html
Not sure why this is - all my pages have always ended in .html.

Anyway, is there something I can put in my .htaccess file to direct requests
for .htm pages to the correct .html file.
I know I can use a redirect for each individual page (such as:
RedirectPermanent /somepage.htm http://www.example.com/somepage.html )
but I was hoping for something simpler, so I don't have to list every page
individually.

Thanks!
nllamas

Steven

Checking my error logs, today, I find that some people are occasionally
requesting pages with an .htm extension rather than .html
Not sure why this is - all my pages have always ended in .html.

Anyway, is there something I can put in my .htaccess file to direct requests
for .htm pages to the correct .html file.

I think RewriteCond and RewriteRule will do what you want but offhand I
can't say exactly what to put in .htaccess as I haven't done it.

Here is an example from one of my directories :

# If no filename, use index.htm
# If file missing, redirect (permanent) to Exetel

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^$ index.htm [L]
RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://home.exetel.com.au/phelum/$1 [R=301,L]

I referred to the documentation at httpd.apache.org. Hopefully there
will be an example there for what you want.

Jim Higson

nllamas said:
Hi folks,

Checking my error logs, today, I find that some people are occasionally
requesting pages with an .htm extension rather than .html
Not sure why this is - all my pages have always ended in .html.

Anyway, is there something I can put in my .htaccess file to direct
requests for .htm pages to the correct .html file.
I know I can use a redirect for each individual page (such as:
RedirectPermanent /somepage.htm http://www.example.com/somepage.html )
but I was hoping for something simpler, so I don't have to list every page
individually.

Try http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

nllamas

Steven said:
[...]

Thanks Steven!
I followed your suggestion and after a bit of hunting around I found:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(.*)\.htm$ $1.html [R=permanent]

and it does just the trick.

Thanks again!
nllamas