From: Wipkip <>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 10:10 PM
Subject: htaccess & M$

Will this:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^microsoft.url [OR]

in my .htaccess block
Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862

The following will deny all UA's which begin with Microsoft and do NOT come
from 131.107.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Microsoft
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} !^131\.107\.
RewriteRule .* - [F]

btw, thanks to Jim.

Wipkip

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^microsoft.url [OR]

in my .htaccess block
Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862
The following will deny all UA's which begin with Microsoft and do
NOT come from 131.107.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Microsoft
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} !^131\.107\.
RewriteRule .* - [F]

btw, thanks to Jim.

Thanks.
From what I can find Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862 doesn't come from M$

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Wipkip:
Evil bot.

How evil (Apart from being M$)?
"URL Control" sounds like censorship to me...
Do I need to be afraid?

Worried,
Thomas

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

blue_elephant55 said:
Also sprach Wipkip:

How evil (Apart from being M$)?
"URL Control" sounds like censorship to me...
Do I need to be afraid?
I'm told that it searches for insecure forms. No doubt it will appear
with different UA strings sometime soon.

Wipkip

Thomas said:
Also sprach Wipkip:

How evil (Apart from being M$)?
"URL Control" sounds like censorship to me...
Do I need to be afraid?
Ask Google about:
Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862

lostinspace

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^microsoft.url [OR]

in my .htaccess block
Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862
The following will deny all UA's which begin with Microsoft and do
NOT come from 131.107.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Microsoft
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} !^131\.107\.
RewriteRule .* - [F]

btw, thanks to Jim.

Thanks.
From what I can find Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862 doesn't come from M$

Your actually not keying on who it comes from in the SetEnvIf User-Agent,
rather what the UA begins with.
The 131.107. is a new M$ bot and the only exlusive M$ that I'm aware of.

BTW and alternative for this particular UA is :

SetEnvIf User-Agent 862$ keep_out
order allow,deny
allow from all
deny from env=keep_out

lostinspace

I'm told that it searches for insecure forms. No doubt it will appear
with different UA strings sometime soon.

There are few UA's which have been effective in eliminating the application
of Regex :)

EightNineThree

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^microsoft.url [OR]

in my .htaccess block
Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862
The following will deny all UA's which begin with Microsoft and do
NOT come from 131.107.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Microsoft
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} !^131\.107\.
RewriteRule .* - [F]

btw, thanks to Jim.

Thanks.
From what I can find Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862 doesn't come from M$

Same bot came by my server this week from an IP leased by Rackspace.com