htm or html

RBB

hello,
some aplications give me the option to save
in htm or html,
i dont know the diference, can somebody tell me?

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

RBB said:
hello,
some aplications give me the option to save
in htm or html,
i dont know the diference, can somebody tell me?

There really is no difference. Some web servers require that your main
webpage is named index.html - some will display index.htm as long as there
is no index.html page too.

--Tina

Lauri Raittila

some aplications give me the option to save in htm or html,
i dont know the diference, can somebody tell me?

htm is relic from age of DOSses that couldn't handle html (which of
course has nothing to do with your website working on those systems, only
relevant when saving in those systems). There is no difference. Use html
unless you have some reason, as it is more common.

Cynthia Turcotte

RBB --

There is no fundamental difference between the .htm and .html
extensions. Both
are rendered fine by all browsers. Make sure your web host can support
your site's
default home page being index.htm if you choose to go the .htm route,
since many
of them are pre-configured to expect index.HTML as the default home page.

Hope this helps!

Cynthia

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Jukka K. Korpela said:
It could be an "l" too, couldn't it?

Actually, since most servers are case-sensitive...it should be one or the
other. ;-)

--Tina

Travis Newbury

RBB said:
hello,
some aplications give me the option to save
in htm or html,
i dont know the diference, can somebody tell me?

htm is a hold over from the days of Microsoft's OS's inability to use
long filenames and extensions.

Jukka K. Korpela

Tina - AxisHOST said:
Actually, since most servers are case-sensitive...it should be one
or the other. ;-)

More or less so. We have now an interesting quiz: is the difference
between "htm" and "html" the letter "l" or the letter "L"?

P.S. Your From field looks forged. Please do not fix it unless you have
a clue.

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Jukka K. Korpela said:
More or less so. We have now an interesting quiz: is the difference
between "htm" and "html" the letter "l" or the letter "L"?

P.S. Your From field looks forged. Please do not fix it unless you have
a clue.

Holy cow. I was messing about setting my usenet stuff up on my new laptop
and wasn't sure which email address I was going to use. It wouldn't go any
further until I entered 'something'. I never intended to post with that
email address. Check my usual posts...I always use my email address!!!
Really!!! :)

--Tina

Richard Brooks

RBB said:
hello,
some aplications give me the option to save
in htm or html,
i dont know the diference, can somebody tell me?

The "htm" is just a restriction from the old days of DOS when the file
naming format was in [8 characters filename]['.' delimiter][3 character
extension] such as "hello.doc"

Just use the full "html" extension although you can save both the ".htm" and
".html" extension files on your server. The problem lies when you save both
index.htm and index.html on your website. I'd hazard a guess that the .htm
one would be ignored and just waste space nowadays.

Richard.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Richard Brooks

Jukka said:
More or less so. We have now an interesting quiz: is the difference
between "htm" and "html" the letter "l" or the letter "L"?

To us humans "not really" but to a damned box of electronics the amount of
different in decimal is '32' - ASCII value 108 for 'l' and ASCII value 76
for 'L'.

Richard.

----
"Kill all humans!" Bender.