HTML and CSS tutorial

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jamslam, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    Hey,

    I am looking for a few suggestions. I plan on re-writing my HTML and CSS
    tutorials at my site, www.webtrickscentral.com

    If you read the HTML tutorial (you can login with demo as the username and
    password) you would most likely notice that I put in there a lot of
    deprecated tags, such as <font>. At the time of writing, which was quite a
    bit a go, I was not as smart as I was then. I used HTML for presentational
    purposes back then.

    My question is for you guys, is how should I re-write it? As in, should I
    combine HTML and CSS into one, or leave them separate? Either way, I'm
    re-writing both.

    The reason I want to do HTML and CSS together, is because I feel that it
    would be hard for the average inexperienced user to pick up proper coding of
    HTML, with no presentational elements. However, I feel that combining CSS
    into it, it would make it more enjoyable, and hopefully easier.

    So what do you guys have to say? Both in one, or separate? And please do
    explain :)

    Thanks again!

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Oct 30, 2003

  2. jamslam

    Sid Ismail Guest

    :
    : So what do you guys have to say? Both in one, or separate? And please do
    : explain :)

    Both in on. Reason - see first paragraph above. :)

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Oct 30, 2003

  3. jamslam wrote:

    > My question is for you guys, is how should I re-write it? As in, should I
    > combine HTML and CSS into one, or leave them separate? Either way, I'm
    > re-writing both.
    >
    > So what do you guys have to say? Both in one, or separate? And please do
    > explain :)

    I think you should introduce some basic CSS, but not anything too
    advanced. Might be a good idea to show simple presentational HTML first,
    and then show why CSS is so much better.
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Sid Ismail wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:44:14 -0500, "jamslam"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > : The reason I want to do HTML and CSS together, is because I feel that it
    > : would be hard for the average inexperienced user to pick up proper coding of
    > : HTML, with no presentational elements. However, I feel that combining CSS
    > : into it, it would make it more enjoyable, and hopefully easier.
    > :
    > : So what do you guys have to say? Both in one, or separate? And please do
    > : explain :)
    >

    > Both in one. Reason - see first paragraph above. :)

    I agree completely. HTML without CSS is not exactly exciting to look at,
    although of course a well-structured HTML document is nice in and of itself.

    Of course CSS gets very complicated very fast if you want to use it for
    positioning/float etc. Therefore an introductory tutorial might focus on
    other things than the visual formatting model and the box model.

    On the other hand, there are a couple relatively solid, commonly used
    solutions for the traditional CSS column layout, and if the reader
    sticks to those solutions he shouldn't have too many nasty surprises.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Oct 30, 2003
  5. jamslam

    rf Guest

    "jamslam" <> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >
    > I am looking for a few suggestions. I plan on re-writing my HTML and CSS
    > tutorials at my site, www.webtrickscentral.com
    >
    > If you read the HTML tutorial (you can login with demo as the username and
    > password) you would most likely notice that I put in there a lot of
    > deprecated tags, such as <font>. At the time of writing, which was quite a
    > bit a go, I was not as smart as I was then. I used HTML for presentational
    > purposes back then.
    >
    > My question is for you guys, is how should I re-write it? As in, should I
    > combine HTML and CSS into one, or leave them separate? Either way, I'm
    > re-writing both.

    HTML and CSS must go together. Use HTML to suggest some structural layout
    for a document and, at the same time, use CSS to suggest the presentational
    aspects for the document. You can not separate them.

    You start with an empty <style> element and an empty <body> element. You
    progress from there, adding things to both elements.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 30, 2003
  6. jamslam

    Safalra Guest

    "jamslam" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > [HTML tutorial]
    > My question is for you guys, is how should I re-write it? As in, should I
    > combine HTML and CSS into one, or leave them separate? Either way, I'm
    > re-writing both.

    Well, what I'm going to do (I've started writing my own tutorial) is
    to teach them HTML first and CSS afterwards, the idea being that they
    learn to use the mark-up logically before they start thinking about
    presentation. (However, I'd rather you didn't follow my advice, as
    then I'd have a rival in the 'puristic HTML tutorial' market :)

    --- Stephen Morley ---
    http://www.safalra.com
    Safalra, Oct 30, 2003
  7. rf wrote:

    > HTML and CSS must go together. Use HTML to suggest some structural layout
    > for a document and, at the same time, use CSS to suggest the presentational
    > aspects for the document. You can not separate them.

    Yes you can. CSS can be used for styling your own XML (and SGML, I
    suppose) formats. Unstyled HTML can be used, it just wouldn't look as nice.
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 30, 2003
  8. jamslam

    rf Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > HTML and CSS must go together. Use HTML to suggest some structural

    layout
    > > for a document and, at the same time, use CSS to suggest the

    presentational
    > > aspects for the document. You can not separate them.

    > Yes you can. CSS can be used for styling your own XML (and SGML, I
    > suppose) formats. Unstyled HTML can be used, it just wouldn't look as

    nice.

    We *are* talking about the real world of authoring HTML pages for the WWW
    here, are we not? You know, building a "web site" that just might sell
    something :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 30, 2003
  9. rf wrote:

    > We *are* talking about the real world of authoring HTML pages for the WWW
    > here, are we not? You know, building a "web site" that just might sell
    > something :)

    CSS-styled XML might be usable for some specialized task in the real world.
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 30, 2003
  10. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    Alright thanks, I think I will combine the two, and either offer more
    advanced CSS towards the end, or in a separate tutorial, I have yet to
    decide upon that, and is the least of my worries.

    Thanks for the suggestions, I just wasn't sure of the learning curve it
    would obtain.

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Oct 30, 2003