HTML and CSS tutorial

jamslam

Hey,

I am looking for a few suggestions. I plan on re-writing my HTML and CSS
tutorials at my site, www.webtrickscentral.com

If you read the HTML tutorial (you can login with demo as the username and
password) you would most likely notice that I put in there a lot of
deprecated tags, such as <font>. At the time of writing, which was quite a
bit a go, I was not as smart as I was then. I used HTML for presentational
purposes back then.

My question is for you guys, is how should I re-write it? As in, should I
combine HTML and CSS into one, or leave them separate? Either way, I'm
re-writing both.

The reason I want to do HTML and CSS together, is because I feel that it
would be hard for the average inexperienced user to pick up proper coding of
HTML, with no presentational elements. However, I feel that combining CSS
into it, it would make it more enjoyable, and hopefully easier.

So what do you guys have to say? Both in one, or separate? And please do
explain :)

Thanks again!

-jamslam

Sid Ismail

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:44:14 -0500, "jamslam"

:
: So what do you guys have to say? Both in one, or separate? And please do
: explain :)

Both in on. Reason - see first paragraph above. :)

Sid

Leif K-Brooks

jamslam said:
My question is for you guys, is how should I re-write it? As in, should I
combine HTML and CSS into one, or leave them separate? Either way, I'm
re-writing both.

So what do you guys have to say? Both in one, or separate? And please do
explain :)

I think you should introduce some basic CSS, but not anything too
advanced. Might be a good idea to show simple presentational HTML first,
and then show why CSS is so much better.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Sid said:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:44:14 -0500, "jamslam"

: The reason I want to do HTML and CSS together, is because I feel that it
: would be hard for the average inexperienced user to pick up proper coding of
: HTML, with no presentational elements. However, I feel that combining CSS
: into it, it would make it more enjoyable, and hopefully easier.
:
: So what do you guys have to say? Both in one, or separate? And please do
: explain :)

Both in one. Reason - see first paragraph above. :)

I agree completely. HTML without CSS is not exactly exciting to look at,
although of course a well-structured HTML document is nice in and of itself.

Of course CSS gets very complicated very fast if you want to use it for
positioning/float etc. Therefore an introductory tutorial might focus on
other things than the visual formatting model and the box model.

On the other hand, there are a couple relatively solid, commonly used
solutions for the traditional CSS column layout, and if the reader
sticks to those solutions he shouldn't have too many nasty surprises.

Matthias

rf

jamslam said:
Hey,

I am looking for a few suggestions. I plan on re-writing my HTML and CSS
tutorials at my site, www.webtrickscentral.com

If you read the HTML tutorial (you can login with demo as the username and
password) you would most likely notice that I put in there a lot of
deprecated tags, such as <font>. At the time of writing, which was quite a
bit a go, I was not as smart as I was then. I used HTML for presentational
purposes back then.

My question is for you guys, is how should I re-write it? As in, should I
combine HTML and CSS into one, or leave them separate? Either way, I'm
re-writing both.

HTML and CSS must go together. Use HTML to suggest some structural layout
for a document and, at the same time, use CSS to suggest the presentational
aspects for the document. You can not separate them.

You start with an empty <style> element and an empty <body> element. You
progress from there, adding things to both elements.

Cheers
Richard.

Safalra

jamslam said:
[HTML tutorial]
My question is for you guys, is how should I re-write it? As in, should I
combine HTML and CSS into one, or leave them separate? Either way, I'm
re-writing both.

Well, what I'm going to do (I've started writing my own tutorial) is
to teach them HTML first and CSS afterwards, the idea being that they
learn to use the mark-up logically before they start thinking about
presentation. (However, I'd rather you didn't follow my advice, as
then I'd have a rival in the 'puristic HTML tutorial' market :)

--- Stephen Morley ---
http://www.safalra.com

Leif K-Brooks

rf said:
HTML and CSS must go together. Use HTML to suggest some structural layout
for a document and, at the same time, use CSS to suggest the presentational
aspects for the document. You can not separate them.

Yes you can. CSS can be used for styling your own XML (and SGML, I
suppose) formats. Unstyled HTML can be used, it just wouldn't look as nice.

rf

Leif K-Brooks said:
Yes you can. CSS can be used for styling your own XML (and SGML, I
suppose) formats. Unstyled HTML can be used, it just wouldn't look as
nice.

We *are* talking about the real world of authoring HTML pages for the WWW
here, are we not? You know, building a "web site" that just might sell
something :)

Cheers
Richard.

Leif K-Brooks

rf said:
We *are* talking about the real world of authoring HTML pages for the WWW
here, are we not? You know, building a "web site" that just might sell
something :)

CSS-styled XML might be usable for some specialized task in the real world.

jamslam

Alright thanks, I think I will combine the two, and either offer more
advanced CSS towards the end, or in a separate tutorial, I have yet to
decide upon that, and is the least of my worries.

Thanks for the suggestions, I just wasn't sure of the learning curve it
would obtain.

-jamslam